Poll

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Yes
9 (42.9%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Used Games: Bad for the Industry?  (Read 20731 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
I believe that, if the majority of people were to buy used games at a substantially lower price than new games, then there would be a problem. However (and I don't have any actual figures with me), I estimate roughly 20%-ish of people buy most or all of their games used, so it's not a problem. But I think the best proof of this is that no developer has actually gone out of business because everyone bought their games used. The argument that used game sales are hurting the industry is pretty much just a theory, with no actual real-life examples to go by.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »
How did you come upon that (low, I suspect) estimate?
But I think the best proof of this is that no developer has actually gone out of business because everyone bought their games used.
How the heck do you know?
That was a joke.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »
The "I'm Poor" argument (WarpWrattler) and the "I don't understand the difference between a developer and a retailer" argument (PaperWario) have nothing to do with the question of the poll:

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Regardless of your opinion of Gamestop's business practices, the answer to the question is yes. The 6 voters for No are tards.

I have to agree with Lizard Dude about that, so I'm gonna say yes.  But I still buy all my games used if I can :D
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 06:46:06 PM »
I bought both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 used not only because I didn't want to pay a large price, but new copies weren't available.

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »
And that's exactly how GameStop wants it.

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »
My friend bought Metroid Prime recently (new, I believe) for one dollar at Borders. Must have been having a clearance sale.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »
Since when does Borders sell games ?!?!?!?
That was a joke.

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »
They've had a small rack of new games since I can remember, over by the CD section. That's where I bought my copy of NFL 2K5. Maybe they don't anymore. Maybe that's why they were one dollar.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »
Here's how it works for me:
I wanted The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, new. I go to, like, every game store there is in this town looking for it shortly after Christmas, thinking for sure that a good 3-year-old game shoudl still be in circulation. Other, older games still are, yeah?
Nowhere. So G-Dawg was kind enough to get it for me used for my birthday.
But today as I go to get Super Paper Mario, I see a line of Wind Waker boxes on the shelf, undoubtedly new.
Argh! At any rate, I have the game...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »
This is a little late, but...

How the heck do you know?

Well, how the heck do you know it's wrong? Seriously, if everyone's going to say I'm wrong, or right, then simply saying so isn't enough. I'll admit that the 20% estimate is just that - an estimate. However, it's safe to say that a very small portion of game buyers buy their games exclusively used. Give me real proof (more than, say, Wikipedia) to the contrary and I'll agree.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 06:25:34 PM »
Um, of course game companies have folded because of not getting enough revenue from the games they made. Of course, that's not always due to GameStop selling and re-selling a limited number of used copies, but GameStop is still evil for doing it.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »
Okay, but quit just saying it happened. Tell me stuff like what company(ies) went under due to drastically lowered revenue thanks to used game sales, and proof that it actually happened (like a sales chart or whatever), and I might believe you. So far, everyone on the anti-used argument here hasn't presented a shred of actual proof.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
It's not as though you've provided any proof to the contrary either.
Yes, I realize that this post does not add credibility to my argument.
That was a joke.

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
In EGM they listed a few games that totally flopped, for one reason or another. One of them was Beyond Good & Evil. They said due to poor sales (not necessarily because of used sales, but it's possible), they decided not to release the next two games in the planned BG&E trilogy. So, I know it's not the whole company that went under, but it sure affected it somehow. I would go quote EGM but I would have to find the issue again.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »
And BG&E was supposed to be really good too.
That was a joke.

Print