Print

Author Topic: I AM MAD AT SEGA  (Read 1821 times)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« on: June 09, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »
No, no, not because they are a competitor of Nintendo...I really couldn't care less about that...

I am mad because I have seen screenshots of Puyo Pop Fever for GCN, a game which I was very, very excited about, especially since Nintendo Puzzle Collection is stuck in Japan.  But after seeing the screenshots I know that I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE GAME.

Know why?  It's because I am color-blind!  And when puzzle games are poorly designed to rely on instantaneous color distinction with a bunch of colors separated by half a shade of green, I can't play them!  GOOOOOLLY !! ! !  I could play the earlier levels with only 3 very different colors, but I took a look at some other screenshots with 5+ colors, two of which were VERY, VERY similar to each other...I only even noticed that they were two different colors because the eye patterns on the puyos were slightly different...

COME ON, SEGA!  WOULD IT HAVE BEEN SO MUCH TROUBLE TO PICK MORE DISTINCT COLORS??!?  I expect this sort of thing from games on Shockwave.com, but not from a major gaming company like Sega!  Take a lesson from Nintendo: in Tetris Attack, they used only very distinct colors, AND they threw in easily recognizable shapes on the blocks to make them even easier to instantly distinguish.

This is probably my single biggest video-game-relared pet-peeve, and it is not just a minor nuicance.  For me, it has ruined an otherwise potentially fantastic game!

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:45:10 AM »
horrible...

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »
It sounds to me, Hirocon, like you are partially colorblind because, like myself, you have difficulty distinguishing among similar shades of the same color, green in particular. I have don't usually have trouble telling colors apart in daily life, but once in awhile I'll wonder, for example, whether something is gray or a light shade of green. So if it's any comfort, you're not the only one who'll be unable to play this game from Sega. I didn't even know that I was partially colorblind until I was 15 years old, but it is true that there are a number of us out there -- just not a large enough number for Sega to notice, I guess.

Having no signature is like living in a box on the highway.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 10:41:34 AM »
Fun Fact: The most common partial color blindness is red/green color blindness, meaning that red and green both look grey.

I strike fear into the hearts of stray cats.

Print