Print

Author Topic: Most underrated games  (Read 33161 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »
I couldn't even beat the first quest. I wasn't good in the plane and the final final conflict was unwinnable for me. I was amazing in the hovercraft, though, so I was a bit unnerved that there was no final battle in a hovercraft.

M.C. Kids. Another amazingly fun game that I never beat. I mean, I got through the last level and all, but I never got all the world 6 cards so I technically didn't beat the game. Anyone know what happens if you get all the SPECIAL cards? I only ever found 3.

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom is a game I really, really want to play again. I remember it as a child and never could figure out how to beat the 2nd level. Or any that followed it. I want another crack at it. Grrrrrrr.

One of my personal favorite games (that was met with really mixed reviews) was Mischeif Makers (N64). It was a platform game where you controlled a humanoid robot through these really surreal yet cleverly designed levels. I never beat it, though, thanks to this level where you fought a mechanized bird that I NEVER could figure out how to beat. 5-5 in this game seriously rivals anything Mario games can offer in terms of sadistically evil yet extraordinarily clever design.

Another neat game is On The Ball (SNES). You control a marble through a bunch of maze-like obstacle courses by spinning the entire course around it. Really, really fun. I never beat it because I could NEVER get past a certain point in the 7th/10 level of the hardest course of the last set of stages.

Funny how I have never beaten any of these games I mentioned. I want another crack at all of them. :(
~I.S.~

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »
TREASURE MATHSTORM!  That game was so...fun to look at.  And everytime I beat it, though it was short, a polite young woman's voice would say I moved up in rank, and I felt so good inside!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
One of my personal favorite games (that was met with really mixed reviews) was Mischeif Makers (N64). It was a platform game where you controlled a humanoid robot through these really surreal yet cleverly designed levels. I never beat it, though, thanks to this level where you fought a mechanized bird that I NEVER could figure out how to beat. 5-5 in this game seriously rivals anything Mario games can offer in terms of sadistically evil yet extraordinarily clever design.

I stated Mischief Makers on the other page. I did beat it, and got every gold gem. The mechanized bird did get a little annoying, but I found a way to destroy it, and got a gold gem buy not taking any damage in the process.

As for Adventure 2 in DKR....The adventure mode was technically only beaten by my brother, and by having to erase his own file to play Adventure 2 (all the other files were full), he had erased some things that I cannot remember.

We never got T.T., either....
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:10 PM »
I beat all the plane and hovercraft T.T. ghosts, but barely any of the car ones. Is there some trick to the car?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 07:13:56 PM »
You got all the gold gems? Amazing. I think I had about half of them (I only ever rented the game). Ya, the problem with the bird, if I remember right, is that you'd beat about 2 or 3 of its forms, and then it'd do this one atttack which would kill you regardless of where your life bar was. And I never figured out how to avoid it AND hit the bird at the same time. Ya, I didn't read the posts on the last page all too well, sorry. I only ever got one gold gem in the boss fights... that being the one at the end of the 4th stage, because his patterns were incredibly easy to find and dodge.

Ya, the T.T. car ghosts, especially the one on the very first course, were really hard. The plane ones I either hit or miss on, because, again, I was never that good with them. The hovercraft ones I could beat by almost a half lap.
~I.S.~

Jman

• Score
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 09:55:26 PM »
Just goes to show you, sales figures do not determine how good a game is.  I know of several fun games that are underrated.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »
Pokemon Puzzle League. *nods*
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2006, 12:58:41 AM »
I actually liked Gizmos and Gadgets as well as Playtime in the Park. Back when I was about five years old, I used to play them all the time on the ancient Macs they had. I can still remember building a plane for racing in G&G and also the catchy tune of Playtime in the Park.

Yeah, I'm weird. o_0
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2006, 04:12:14 PM »
I think House of the Dead was underrated.
every

Jman

• Score
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »
Gizmos and Gadgets is a really fun educational game.  I always enjoyed playing it.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I thought it would be better than just making another thread, since it was only on the second page.

Either way, I think the most underrated game ever is Grabbed by the Ghoulies for the Xbox. Like another Rare (as in the company, not as in hard to find) Kameo, this game started out as a Gamecube game. I know alot of reviewers said this game was crap, but there wrong. It's actually a really fun game, and quite a challenge. Plus, it has some of Rare's ol' subliminal sexual humor (that only older people can understand) that was found in the Banjo games and such.

Another underrated game? Well, sorry for sounding like a Rare fanboy (which I actually kind of am, though), Starfox Adventures. I never got to beat it since I was stuck on that one part with Musclefoot where you had to jam the A button constantly and because I sold my Gamecube (I still own the game, however), but I thought it was pretty addicting. And while many find Tricky to be annoying, I actually like the little guy.

Last but not least, up for a tier, Galactic Pinball and Psychonauts. Galactic Pinball is just a blast to play on the VB and it easily my favorite VB game that I own so far. And Psychonauts reminded me of some of my favorite platformers. It reminded me of Banjo-Kazooie, Sonic Adventure and even Conker a little bit. It's a shame not many people played it, because it needs a sequal.

There are also a few other games I'd put on this list such as Kameo, A Boy and His Blob and Beyond Good & Evil, but I havn't play much of them. Also, I wouldn't really call Diddy Kong Racing underrated, because as fun as it is, it's (along with Goldeneye) one of the few games by Rare that doesn't get any bumrap (well, only that review from Gamespot gave it a mediocre rating. That's it, though).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:42:46 AM by Poop Dude »
Professional Paisano here

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
Star Fox Adventures rocked the house, along with every other Star Fox game (GBTG, though...not so much). It would be great if Rare made a new Star Fox game on the Xbox 360 (since they're now owned by MS). That would be so cool to play online against, like, 20 other people, especially with those 360 graphics...
every

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »
I'm still awaiting a Starfox DS (I hope it comes out...) . It would make awesome use of the touch screen... remember Wingman mode in multiplayer Armada? Control the tank using the control pad, and shoot using the touch screen. Come on, you know it'd be awesome...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
I'd buy it....if Namco stays as far away from the Starfox franchise as possible. It's times like those when I really miss Rare.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2006, 10:40:22 AM »
FSA is one of my favorite Zelda games.  It's very unique from other GCN titles.  I can see why it's underrated, but if you're an old school gamer, you should at least try it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print