Print

Author Topic: Who cares about game ratings?  (Read 19137 times)

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 10:55:58 AM »
I care, because my mom isn't going to let me play Halo until i'm 17

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »
lol Sorry to hear that. Here I'll make you feel better. HALO SUCKS!! That better.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
:'( Whaaaaaaat???  '>o<' *Sobs*

I hate you G-Dawg.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 02:23:16 PM »
we might not be able to play M rated games. because hillary clinton has returned from hell!

While I agree that Hillary Clinton was forged in the depths of Hell, I don't see what that has to do with the ESRB.

I think the ESRB is a good thing, personally. For one, its establishment can partially nullify the Thompsonian belief that video games cause violence... because any GOOD parents can look at a game with an "M" rating and decide if their children are mature enough to play them or not. Thus, the blame for violence can be shifted to bad parenting or bad genes... which is the REAL reason violence happens, in my mind.
~I.S.~

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 02:24:20 PM »
M_S_M: I was kidding...just trying to make you feel better about not playing the awesomeness of Halo. Sorry.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 02:27:25 PM »
oh.... I guess I can change my sig back.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »

Random fact: I think Diablo was the first M-rated game I ever got.

Random Fact: Metal Gear Solid was my first.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »
Random: first one ever owned: Socom III Navy Seals

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
Random: Popkorn

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »
Serious: So what's up with people not caring about game ratings again?

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 05:25:54 PM »
Nobody pays attention to the rating, they just pay attention to how much fun the game is. Oh, and sometimes the rating is in an area that nobody would look at. Also,

lol Sorry to hear that. Here I'll make you feel better. HALO SUCKS!! That better.

It's true, Halo's just a copy of Metroid that has swears. Insted of getting Halo 3, Get Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
Metriod Prime was a good game, but I really hated that auto targeting. It really kind of took the challenge away. And it lacked weapons. only four weapons. you never ran out of ammo either. Thats where the DS version of Metriod fixed it. But then there was nothing to drive. it was just get to a certain point, beat boss, and get upgrade. When you see the same place over and over again it gets rather boring.

Meh... All Halo had was loads of weapons, tanks, banshees, warthogs, Wraiths, Spectres, ghosts, turrets, a decent story line, A cool looking starring charicter, actual attitudes, people, incredible graphics, wonderful enemy AI, multiplayer, Co-op play, online play, the fact that your not the only person fighting, sniper rifles, no bosses, and just enough levels to keep you occupied for years. Yea... Halo dosen't seem too great anymore...

Halo Release date: November 2001
Metrio Prime release date: November 2002

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 07:38:09 PM »
I must be the one of the only people here who DOES care about the ESRB ratings. They have flaws in their rating system, but just having a rating system period is decidedly a good thing. It's good to be able to be warned about what's in a game. I would NEVER buy a game with dirty sexual content in it; games like that sicken me beyond belief. I mean, people take sex, which is a beautiful thing in its proper place, and they pervert it and then put it in a video game meant for entertainment. I would also never buy a game with gratuitous violence, blood, and gore in it; not only is that an exceedingly poor form of entertainment - I can't even fathom what's in the minds of people who enjoy seeing images of people getting ripped apart on a screen - but I wouldn't even be able to bear to look at it anyway. I'm grateful that there's something there to tell me about bad content in video games so that I don't have to accidentally find it.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »
bravo! Great speech! smfan! I agree with you!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »
Off-topic: My first M game was Goldeneye 007.
On-topic: That was an excellent speech, smfan1085. A rating system is a good thing, but it is the generalisation and petty labelling that is the system's main weakness.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print