Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 393596 times)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #720 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
But those are my two favorite things.

« Reply #721 on: March 18, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »
Secret deal for those reading Page 49 of Weekly Releases!

Send a Wii message to Lizard Dude and he will give you BIT.TRIP BEAT.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #722 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »
Will he really...?

Sounds fishy.

But I might as well take the bait.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #723 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Madea goes to jail?  I've been waiting for years for that wacko to be locked up.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #724 on: March 19, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »
I can authenticate that that film has actually been out for several years. Unless there's something I'm missing here...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #725 on: March 19, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
Yeah, I don't get it either.
From what it looks like, the DVD that was out before this movie was a DVD of the stage play.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #726 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
Why it was ever deemed appropriate for the stage, I'll never understand even more.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
I'm with this guy. NSFW, in case you have a job.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2009, 11:40:50 PM »
For the record, 3 people did the BIT.TRIP BEAT deal. 2 of them thanked me.

Excitebots looks good. Excite Truck was.

I gifted TEM a pre-order of Zeno Clash a while back. I'll let him report on its quality.

Wonder Boy III! Now to complete the Wonder Boy-branded version of the series, we just need the fourth game (which was released in the US as Wonder Boy III. Oy!).

I'm unsure if there's a difference between the XBLA and WiiWare Crystal Defenders. What's that R1?

And for Deezer this week we have I Love Horses.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #729 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »
HURK

I didn't thank you? I could swear I did.

Sorry! Thanks! It's a cool game even though I'm terrible at rhythm games and it doesn't seem capable of saving.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #730 on: April 23, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
That's okay, I was really only looking for something to make my first paragraph more interesting. :)

I'm a bit rubbish at it too, having not yet beat the second level. EM beat the game, though. EM!

« Reply #731 on: April 23, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »
I still haven't figured out how the saving works on it.  Neither level stayed the first time I beat it, but if I kept playing for a while and turned the Wii off directly (I don't know what exactly did the trick), it stayed.  Or you can try to beat it all in one sitting, but then I'd just be rubbing it in. >:)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #732 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
TEM's review of Zeno Clash

(I'm about three hours into the game)

The first thing you will notice when Zeno Clash starts are the stunningly bizarre visuals and the relatively awful voice acting of the two main protagonists (unfortunately, the voice acting isn't bad to the point of being amusing). The colorful vistas and wild environments are interesting and a change from brown/gray gritty or hyper bright futuristic color schemes. I can't help but think of The Flintstones when considering the prehistoric look combined with bright, vibrant colors.
The weapon design is amazing and has a Flintstones (again) meets MacGyver feel as you fire things that look like they are last minute gun replacements made from dinosaur hide and monkey bones. The duel pistol-type guns in particular look cool and their reloading animation reminds me of using a stapler at work. The character design can be beautiful, cool, and ugly all at the same time while always being smothered in originality. They kind of reminded me of Tim Burton movie characters minus the dark gothic quality and the addition of a prehistoric cartoon feel.

The first person melee combat system is sort of fun after a brief but RAGE-inducing learning curve. Occasional audible swear-inducing anger still arises from the lock on system that keeps you from looking around and seeing that other guy punching you in the side of the face, or getting firearms knocked out of your hands when reloading causes you to move super slow. Issue one is caused by the FPS instinct to attack an enemy until they are dead (which usually is a short time in traditional FPS) and problem two stems from an established instinct to keep the guns blazing when the enemies are up close instead of putting up my dukes, the latter being a smarter move in Zeno Clash if you don't want to lose your gun(s). To avoid extreme RAGE forget all FPS rules regarding when and how to use melee or firearms; in this FPS melee has been bumped up on the food chain of combat decisions.

The game has a pervasive feel of amateurish game makers (examples being the mysterious save system and frustrating lock-on mechanic) working with the best original visual design artists around and voice actors that they pulled in off the streets. Zeno Clash is definitely worth playing due to its original visuals and game mechanics (even if the latter are a bit cranky). I can't quite say anything on character development (doesn't look good so far) or plot (there is a small hope) at this point. I predict the game will develop a small cult following thanks to the graphics and unique first person melee combat but the core combat mechanics are too different for FPS veterans and the idea of FPS in general will put off fans who might appreciate the bizarre plot/visuals/characters of the game.

I give it 3 out of 5 Dinosaur Bones for overall construction and a Must Play stamp for its originality.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:55:53 AM by TEM »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #733 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »
Bit Trip and Excitebots are awesome, but I have too many versions Wonder Boy and don't have a huge want to play any of them so I'm gonna pass this time.  Also, I didn't bother with Crystal Defenders before so I'm not even considering it now.  Since I got a DSi I've been back into the brain/puzzle games. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #734 on: April 27, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »
Man, who cares what comes out this week in the face of the no-unlocks SSFIITHDR-netcode MvC2 announcement. Ah well, let's have a look.

I imagine a lot of us will be going to see the Wolverine movie.

Another Cocoto game comes out. That's the same series as the fishing game that Bird played.

I like how they keep releasing minigames from the original WarioWare as DSiWare. I had a lot of fun with Paper Airplane Chase back in the day, competing with my brother.

That's a smokin' hot week for XBLA with Banjo-Tooie, Virtual-On, and Sorry!.

I wonder if the Rock Band Nirvana controller is compatible with GHWT.

And for Deezer this week we have My Horse and Me: Riding for Gold.

Print