Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Kart released on Virtual Console in North America  (Read 6562 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »
Super Mario Kart arrives on the North American Virtual Console today, more than 17 years after the original was released on Super NES. It has been available in Japan since June, and it is set to be released later this week in Europe.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »
About time! I've been waiting on this. Toadette is making me put all the old game systems away after I finish the video project. Since I will no longer have access to them, I've been downloading my favorites (I'm sure others have been doing the same..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »
I hope Earthbound and SSB64 aren't among those favorites.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:23:59 PM »
They are, and they will be on the VC.. eventually.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
SSB64 is coming by the end of the year. Earthbound is probably never going to get a release thanks to music issues.

SMK getting released is good, but I was more excited when I saw A Boy and his Blob. Such an underrated classic (with kewl music reminiscent of Indiana Jones [despite the aforementioned music issues]).
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:09:56 AM »
I don't think the original SMK has aged all that well, but then again, I haven't played it in a long while. I played Super Circuit as well, though, which I recall being in a similar style that I was equally unfond of.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:58 AM »
What's not to like about Super Mario Kart? It's easily one of the best, if not the best, in the series.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
Super Circuit is my personal favorite. ShadowBrain just can't appreciate the Mode 7.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
I think SC is my favorite handheld MK too. MKDS is great and all, but all of the weapons were sprites. It's only a minor detail, but it makes judging how far you are from it a bit difficult.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
After a while of playing around with Super Mario Kart, I've changed my opinion of it: I like it, best in the series (can't say about MK:SC as I gave that away). At first I thought the slip-sliding made the karts too slippery, but it seems like it gives the karts a real sense of momentum. Mario Kart 64 meanwhile has much less of that feeling - you feel a lot more in control of your kart, but then it's not as fun. Not much compares to successfully drifting through a tight corner. And I always thought Super Mario Kart had the best tracks regardless. More colorful, more Mario-like (it lost something in the move to Mario Kart 64 as it looked more realistic and serious, probably why MK:DD went back to the cartoony look). The tracks seem pitifully short now, Rainbow Road in particular (probably why you had to do 5 laps), but... who cares about length when I still find them pretty difficult. Especially Donut Plains 3 as the opponents keep leaving me in their dust.

And Koopa Troopa rules.
You didn't say wot wot.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
I think I'm going to add Wii points to my Christmas wishlist.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »
I was all excited, but the game was not as good as I remember.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:55:11 PM by waddle_doo »
I don't see why we can't have links or images in this.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
Finally, something to spend that leftover 800 points on!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:47 PM »
I bought it today and played it for the first time. It controls better then I expected...a lot like MK:SC (which was my first Mario game ever, so I know what I'm saying). The only thing that threw me off is how the drifting is like...inverted from SC or 64...its hard to explain but IMO it makes more sense how it makes cornering easier. Oh and the music is pretty amazing.

I was playing 64 too and I noticed, contrary to what penguinwizard said, I think karts were WAY to slippery. Like a TON of times when I was playing I ended up making a mistake solely because of the bad control...or maybe it was just cause I was using Bowser and then Wario if that has anything to do with it...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »
Yeah, it's funny... I remember when, after playing Mario Kart DS, Double Dash felt strangely floaty when I gave it another spin.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print