Mario Party Advance
0 (0%)
Mario Party DS
2 (11.8%)
Mario Party: Island Tour
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Mario Party  (Read 13805 times)

« on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »

What's your favorite Mario Party? Feel free to post comments.
-SSJoel3k

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »
oh cool i get it ur doing that thing i did but with mario party. Anyway, mine is DS. It's probably because of that leaf minigame.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
Yeah, I have to admit I was inspired by the Mario Kart poll you did and thought it would be cool to do one for Mario Party.

I agree with you on the DS one, they did a really good job on it.

My favorite Mario Party to date is still the original, but they're all pretty good.

Mario Party
-SSJoel3k

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
I have a lot of sentimental value with all three of the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games. Words can't fully describe how much I love all three of them. Mario Party 5 I'll also honor by mention, because of it's incredible music, even though I was unfortunate enough to get a defective copy of the game (it only worked for like 5 minutes) But I still got to listen to the music and it really is amazing! I've also played Mario Party Advance, 7, 8, and 9. I enjoyed some of 7's mini games and music. Pipe Dreams is my favorite! Mario Party 8 was okay, but a lot of its mini games and "How-to-win-Stars" objectives were the same as in 7, only with new skins and made to work with the Wii Remote; so if you're looking for originality, sorry to fans who read this. Mario Party Advance, I'll admit was a real odd one. But some of its music is familiar to me so it's enjoyable for my ears. Some mini games were fun, but a lot of it lacked challenge. If there's one thing I loved though, it's how many different well known characters were present for you to interact with. The cast, in my opinion, was like a "lovechild" of characters ranging from Super Mario 64, the older Mario Parties, and the Super Mario Advance series (in other words, Super Mario's 2, 3, World, and Yoshi's Island) In short, I love seeing so many different characters from different games put together into one like Mario Party Advance. And some of the locales you could visit were well done, as far as GameBoy Advance games go.

But I went with voting on Mario Party 1. Why? Because I just can't get over everything about it. The ability to buy items from a local shop to use in any and all games (like the colorful Plus/Minus/Slow/Speed Blocks! The Warp and Event Blocks which carried over to later games, the magic Coin boxes, etc.) All the board games are memorable and iconic (DK's Jungle Adventure, Yoshi's Tropical Island, Mario's Rainbow Castle, Eternal Star!) And there are reasons to play the stages and become Super Star, like in Tropical Island, you need to be Super Star to save two Yoshis' friendship when deadly whirlpools separate the two. The music is memorable and catchy! Tons of the mini games are fun and at the same time faithful to the original Mario formula, like Coin Block Blitz, where you simply have to hit ? Blocks and collect their coins to win. I think Mario Party 9 is the only other game in the series that does a good job, if not better, at making its mini game collection faithful to both Super Mario and even Donkey Kong Country games! And even if not all the games stick to Mario's platforming game elements, 1's Mini Games are still loads of fun! Also, gameplay is fast, getting through all four turns doesn't take very long at all. Sure, Mario Party gained a level of infamy because of its "Blister-inducing-rapid-control-stick-rotating mini games" but as a fan I can easily overlook this issue. And finally, and most important to me, as I said before is the sentimental value. I have lots of wonderful memories of playing this game as a kid and having so much fun with it and my older sister. I'll never forget those days and that's why Mario Party 1 holds such a special place in my heart.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Koopakrusher, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for.
It's interesting hearing you comment about Mario Party Advance because I also found it to be very different from all the other Mario Party games, but that didn't make it any less fun for me.

All in all I have to agree with you on Mario Party 1 though. Out of all of them it's my all-time favorite. As true as the "Blister-inducing-rapid-control-stick-rotating" mini games comment is, I think to go as far as suing Nintendo is just childish. If the game hurts your hand then don't play it. Those were some of my favorite mini-games. I hate how people will look for any opening to sue a company just to make money, talk about pure greed...
-SSJoel3k

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
It's either that, or hire a boo to steal their money for you
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Funny you ask on this one. I remember seeing the original Mario Party in the store and passed on it, since I felt it looked too "kiddy". I was 12 years old at the time and wanted something with more action, not something that looked like the board games I had just unloaded at a garage sale. I wound up with Ocarina of Time instead, but secretly wanted another Mario game for my 64. (Thankfully, Smash Bros came out the next year, which was Mario enough for me).

I sort of ignored Mario Party for the longest time. Then, one of my cousins got a Game Cube. She was 8 at the time. We got a copy of Mario Party 4 for her, thinking it would be a good, age-appropriate game. A few years later, I spent a few nights at my uncle's house. I was now an 18 year old senior in high school and wound up in the spare bedroom where the Game Cube was. We all know what happens when there's a Game Cube in front of someone who happens to like video games. Mario Party 4 was sitting in this particular 'Cube at the time.

A little older now, I went in with an open mind, clearly remembering how I wrote off the series at Wal Mart many years earlier after just looking at it for ten minutes as a know-it-all 12 year old. Sure, it had some cartoon elements to it, but it was actually a lot of fun. In fact, I was a little disappointed when I left since I knew I'd be leaving that game behind!

I debated about getting a copy of my own and would have if it weren't for all the college expenses I had at the time!! I'm voting for Mario Party 4, not necessarily because it's the only game I have legitimately played in the series, but because it made me a believer in the Mario Party series as a whole.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
I voted for Mario Party 3, because it had so much packed into it for the time.  But, Mario Party 5 comes in a close second because of the capsule system.  You could lay them down on the board at no cost to yourself and turn a considerable amount of the board into event spaces during the course of a game.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
Number five, period.
My mind is telling me no... My body is telling me no too, just so you know.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
You and I can't be friends now.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
I just eBayed a boxed copy of Mario Party 2. Looks like it's up there in terms of popularity with the others.

A few posts ago, I stated how I blew off the series at first. Looking back, I figured I'd finally try one of these games out. Why? I've got some time off next week, am newly single, and had one of those "oh man you're old" experiences a few weekends ago.

I was in Ohio visiting my cousin, who has two kids now. Her older one is seven, and she has a DS of some variety (don't remember if it's a 3DS or 2DS, but I think it's a 3). Anyhow, she brought it along with her and asked me to play Mario Party with her. Now I've always enjoyed a good Nintendo game, but playing alongside my favorite second cousin and having her explain it to me? Yeah, I felt old and not as up on games as I did years ago, but there's no better feeling than doing it with the kids you love, especially when I realize I did the exact same to my mom when she played Super Mario 64 back in the day.

I may not have won every mini-game, but it was a night I wouldn't trade for anything. When my cousin comes to visit me, I'm going to introduce her daughter to the N64, and I felt having a familiar game would be the best way to do it. (MarioKart would work too since I know she has it--when I heard she was getting a DS, I bought it for her but never saw her play it). Who knows--maybe her brother, who is almost three, will also join in!!

And with that experience, I'm finally a true fan of Mario Party. I'm also OLD....

Jman

• Score
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »
I just eBayed a boxed copy of Mario Party 2. Looks like it's up there in terms of popularity with the others.

A few posts ago, I stated how I blew off the series at first. Looking back, I figured I'd finally try one of these games out. Why? I've got some time off next week, am newly single, and had one of those "oh man you're old" experiences a few weekends ago.

I was in Ohio visiting my cousin, who has two kids now. Her older one is seven, and she has a DS of some variety (don't remember if it's a 3DS or 2DS, but I think it's a 3). Anyhow, she brought it along with her and asked me to play Mario Party with her. Now I've always enjoyed a good Nintendo game, but playing alongside my favorite second cousin and having her explain it to me? Yeah, I felt old and not as up on games as I did years ago, but there's no better feeling than doing it with the kids you love, especially when I realize I did the exact same to my mom when she played Super Mario 64 back in the day.

I may not have won every mini-game, but it was a night I wouldn't trade for anything. When my cousin comes to visit me, I'm going to introduce her daughter to the N64, and I felt having a familiar game would be the best way to do it. (MarioKart would work too since I know she has it--when I heard she was getting a DS, I bought it for her but never saw her play it). Who knows--maybe her brother, who is almost three, will also join in!!

And with that experience, I'm finally a true fan of Mario Party. I'm also OLD....

I remember playing New Super Mario Bros. U with my cousins when I got it for Christmas.  Much hilarity ensued because we kept screwing up.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
I own all of the Mario Parties except 3, Advance and 9. I haven't played 3 in nearly six years; I only have Advance on an emulator; and I'm too turned off by the changes in 9 to buy it.

Anyway, my order of favouritism:

2 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4 > DS > 8 > 7 > Island Tour > Advance > 9

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
How do you not own the best Mario Party in the entire series?

I'm too turned off by the changes in 9 to buy it.

Yet you own Island Tour.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »
You and I can't be friends now.
why :-(
My mind is telling me no... My body is telling me no too, just so you know.

Print