Print

Author Topic: You Rage (or Lose Faith in Humanity), You Lose  (Read 211697 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »
Right now...

We could be having a thread about 3-D movies
We could be having a thread about migraines
We could be having a thread about a famous wrestler's death
We could be having a thread about tools who thought the world was gonna end
We could be having a thread about red rings of death, PS3s and children in third-world countries
We could be having a thread about piano recitals
We could be having a thread about death (actually we have one of those)
We could be having a thread about PaperLuigi's favorite show being accused of having racist and sexist undertones

I've been a silly twelve-year-old, I've been a haughty grammar nazi, I've been a pushy hater, but the biggest mistake I ever made in these forums was probably creating that thread. Give it a think next time you want to change the subject there
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »
We could be having a thread about PaperLuigi's favorite show being accused of having racist and sexist undertones

Don't tempt me to make that.

And can't you close the ANGST thread now that you're a mod?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:07:05 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »
Most of those "threads" would have received two or three responses and then died. They would then gather dust for years on end until some newbie bumped them and subsequently got [dukar]listed for doing so.

Excuse me while I make a thread about breathing.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 12:15:28 AM »
More threads is good, not bad. Bumping is no crime either, unless done to intentionally create confusion or something. Who cares if threads are small or "gathering dust"? It's not like we're wasting ink making them and storing them in a physical room that can run out of space.

Also see my old manifesto.

Actually a lot of that applies to the mods' recent love of merging and closing threads, too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:18:00 AM by Lizard Dude »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
And can't you close the ANGST thread now that you're a mod?

I'm not the type who just locks or edits out whatever I don't like and I never will be

Most of those "threads" would have received two or three responses and then died.

You made a topic about gravy on french fries and you're judging what could and couldn't have been a long-running thread?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »
I probably wouldn't have made that thread if this forum had a section exclusively for polls. :3

But let's take migraines as an example. If posting about them in the ANGST thread diminishes potential discussion, shouldn't every single occurrence of someone having a migraine have its own thread since they could prompt even further discussion? It's a matter of balance, and "general" threads like ANGST/HOPEFUL/Pointless/whatever deliver just that.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
Why would you want to post about migraines though? It's just a matter of distinguishing good discussion topics from bad ones.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
I'm not saying everything in the thread deserves its own thread, I'm saying we could have them. And the thread is pretty misused, everything unpleasant from "I stubbed my toe" to "I have one week to live" is in there. Loads of stuff in between could have been self-sustaining topics.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
I'll agree that many topics discussed there could have supported their own thread, but it's still good to have threads for smaller issues.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:18 AM »
This discussion is making me think back to when I enraged BP by creating all the FOR REAL threads. :)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
If you did it today I would probably think it was hilarious
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
I think "You Rage, You Lose" should be limited to things that have the potential to anger you in a very superficial way, although that's more in line with facepalming when it comes to internet humor. Meanwhile, though I do find the juxtaposition of topics of The Angst Thread uncomfortable at best, I think it still should serve its purpose as a thread for more pertinent concerns that affect an actual person's life. When I was new here, I was actually confused about this (despite the fact that this thread didn't exist), and so I'd post about a lot of petty things on ANGST.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »
**** religion.

Print