Print

Author Topic: The Nintendo investor meeting and what it means for Mario  (Read 8283 times)

« on: February 01, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »
Amidst the various news and (mostly) non-news resulting for the January Nintendo investor meeting, two things could (should Iwata not resume his proud traditions of saying things and not doing [dukar]) have an interesting impact on the franchise: Nintendo has expressed a willingness to expand character-licensing deals as well as doing more collaborations with third-party developers.

Do you expect more substantial promotional material (such as cartoons, comics... etc) to be produced in the coming years? Do you think there will be more third party-outsourced Mario games in the future? Do you view such potential developments positively or negatively?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
I expect a lot more merchandise featuring Nintendo characters like T-shirts, K'nex, and figurines.  This actually started before the official announcement.  I do not expect cartoons or comics being outsourced according to what I've seen, if they are I'd expect close oversight from Nintendo as they don't want their franchises to lose value.  For example, Nintendo no longer wants Mario portrayed as a plumber or Peach called Toadstool.  I'm not expecting a mature Mario game either. 

I also expect to see more ads like the Chicago train, but more focused.  I hope they have more sweepstakes and contests. 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
They don't want Mario portrayed as a plumber? But him and Luigi fixed a pipe at the beginning of 3D World...

Although I'm certain you're referring to the Super Show.
Relics.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
I would only endorse a Super Show revamp if all 22 minutes were live-action bliss.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »
I doubt they'll immediately jump to handing out the cartoon and movie license for Mario.

Although, I wouldn't mind it if they let Ian Flynn write a Mario comic.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
A CGI Mario cartoon, a movie or an anime would be a dream! I'm not a huge fan of other Nintendo liscences, but any game Mario related could be interesting... if it is better than crossovers like Fortune Street and Mario & Sonic ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:30:27 PM by MamaWeegee »

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
What's wrong with Fortune Street? Other than having no way to suspend a game and resume it later.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
I would only endorse a Super Show revamp if all 22 minutes were live-action bliss.

Me too!
"Nice of the princess to invite us over for a core destruction, eh, Luigi?"

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 03:30:05 PM »
Too bad they won't reanimate Lou Albano's corpse.
Relics.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »
Not when I was typing it, but immediately after posting it I realized it.
Relics.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
This calls for major character redesigns to make the franchise more modern.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:03:12 PM by bobbysq1337 »

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »
Based on Sonic Boom? I'll buy it.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
Needs more shoe-bandages.

Print