Print

Author Topic: Epic Games CEO Disliked Mario Galaxy  (Read 22353 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

Some of you might have heard about Epic Games CEO Mike Capps thoughts concerning the Wii, and I would say most of us don't entirely agree with what he said to say. There was one comment in particular I wanted to highlight to Mario fans. Mr. Capps didn't like Mario, and denounced its most unique feature, saying he wished for a "button instead of wiggle and all that kind of [expletive]."

Do you readers agree with that sentiment? Would Super Mario Galaxy have been better without the Wii remote features? Did the motion controls and pointer influence you either way? 

Link: portableplanet.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:37:09 PM by MEGAߥTE »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Sections any section that involved tilting the Wiimote would not have been nearly as entertaining or challenging if we were to simply use the analog stick. I can't say I prefer shaking the Wiimote to execute the spin move, but I certainly didn't think it merited being labeled [expletive].

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
I don't think SMG benefited very much from Wii controls, and it could have easily done without them.  On the other hand, they didn't ruin the game.  Other games certainly have benefited, where they were much more suitable.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
Tell that guy to go play some PS3 since it doesn't use motion control, because you can tell he hates it.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
The PS3 uses a very limited amount of motion control for some games-- and I'm sure you don't need to tell him already.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
And of course Sony just threw that in at the last minute when they noticed Nintendo was doing it.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Yeah... PS3 motion control blows.

Honestly, I think the "motion controls" was SMG's saving grace in the long run (and it's used the Wii Remote better than any other game yet).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
Tell that guy to go play some PS3 since it doesn't use motion control, because you can tell he hates it.
Dude, there was a game on PS3 (Lair) where you steered using ONLY motion-control.

Perhaps you meant 360.

I say "was" because they just patched it to support analog sticking.

-Lizard Dude

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
Honestly, I think the "motion controls" was SMG's saving grace in the long run
SMG's awesomeness had nothing to do with motion controls.

It had to do with neat gravity tricks and a more linear 3D platformer experience.

(and it's used the Wii Remote better than any other game yet).
Nope, not better than Smooth Moves.

Not even close.

Nothing is.

-Lizard Dude

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
I'm still not convinced ShadowBrain actually plays games.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
Shaking to do the Star Spin feels so natural that I end up trying to do it whenever I play Super Mario World. That's gotta count for something. Also, the rolling and bubble sections would have been either too easy or too frustrating with an analog stick.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
Well they were certainly designed for the Wii Remote. Still, I'm with LD.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
I have not, and probably never will, play Smooth Moves, so for me:

SMG=Best Wii Remote game.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
Lots of stuff uses the remote better than Galaxy.

No More Heroes, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, all the lightgunning games...

Galaxy is not really based around the motion/pointing controls at all like the games above are.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
Lots of stuff uses the remote better than Galaxy.

No More Heroes, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, all the lightgunning games...

Galaxy is not really based around the motion/pointing controls at all like the games above are.

In my opinion these games have the best use of the Wiimote's motion sensing: 

Wii Sports
Kororinpa: Marble Madness
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

I am very much looking forward to Boom Blox.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print