Print

Author Topic: They Say, You Say: Mario Kart Wii  (Read 4663 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

So, a week later, what's everyone got to say about Mario Kart Wii? I've complied some excerpts from reviewers on websites, and more importantly I've taken some well written opinions posted right in TMK's Fungi Forums. I strongly suggest you take both into consideration, and if you want to share your thoughts, feel free to comment!

What THEY Say
Game Informer Online
Ups:
- The control is brilliant, the courses are tuned to perfection, and everything is polished to a high shine.
- The light/medium/heavy choice is a strategic and stylistic decision rather than an opportunity to intentionally gimp yourself against inferior competition.
- This looks good…for a Wii game
Downs
- ...don’t bother with the stupid wheel
- ...the turbo change feels like a dumbing-down of the gameplay in the pursuit of a misguided desire to make it somehow easier for my grandma to pick up and play. Note to Nintendo: Stop.
- ... the overhaul of the mini-turbo system takes a while to get used to.

GameSpot.com
Ups:
- Huge number of courses, including some of the most imaginative yet 
- Deeply integrated online play
- Fun and strategic trick system
Downs
- Nostalgia doesn't save most of the classic courses from being boring 
- Items are more unbalanced than ever, especially on new tracks 
- Battle modes are now exclusively team-based and timed.

IGN.com
Ups
- For the first time ever on a Nintendo console, the online portion trumps the single-player offering.
- Ghost racing is even more part of this Kart than any other out there
- IR supported menus, great Mii integration to hook the casual crowd, strong use of Wii's functionality, and another entertaining mascot racer. One of the best console Karts in years.
Downs
- Kart's 150cc experience is most certainly beatable, but it'll take as much luck and needless replay as it will skill, and that's a shame.
- The cars also feel like they're running at the 50cc speed class for online, and it's a bit too slow for our liking.
- the lack of voice chat for an extremely social online game

What YOU Say
Vidgmchtr
Ups
- The Wii Wheel actually does work fine, I like it.
- I thought the idea of karts AND bikes was pretty cool too.
- Yoshi's new vocals, they make me laugh
Downs
- Still no cup featuring all Rainbow Roads
- With the retro levels, I think they should've used the intros used in each MK game the track is from. Not important, but I think it'd be a nice touch.
- The items that can give a huge advantage (Lightning bolt, Blue shells, POW blocks, etc.) are WAY too common.

BirdPerson
Ups
- I love the textures on the Super NES tracks. To quote myself, it's like a 16-bit dream.
- Some sweet new tracks. Koopa Cape is awesome.
- I was worried, but I approve of Yoshi's new voice clips.
Downs
- No WarioWare Wario (c'mon, at least just for bikes?)
- No individualized karts or bikes. I miss the Egg 1.
- Not the best retro choices.

NintendoExpert89
Ups
- Playing as the Mii
- Great tracks
- Much, much shorter waiting time for Online Play
Downs
- Graphics seem recycled and unchanged since GameCube
- Battle Mode is changed
- Easy to be knocked off the track repeatedly

Now this isn't all the opinions or posts we've had concerning Mario Kart Wii. For the full experience, you need to check out and participate in the Fungi Forums. I'd also suggest heading into our chatroom, since users in there always have interested things to say that you might find helpful!

Link: Fungi Forums: MKWii's Ups and Downs
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 03:56:46 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
I'd also suggest heading into our chatroom, since users in there always have interested things to say that you might find helpful!
#tmk is also a good place to find people who might want to race with you. However, it is usually quiet, so random Internet visitors should come in the evening/early night hours for the best chance of activity.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print