Print

Author Topic: Cravin' Haven  (Read 4931 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:18 PM »
So I got around to seeing the pilot for that new joint on the SciFi channel, Haven. In case you're wondering, it's another show in the long line of attempts at creating a new modern-day Twin Peaks (a challenge, considering only about eight and a half people have actually watched that show). In layman's terms, that translates to a barely-coherent plot, a murder in a small town, the FBI, and characters that desperately try to be "quirky", because lord knows it's so darn hard to come up with actual character personalities when you're a writer.

So imagine my surprise when Haven ain't actually half bad. I had to hold back vomit during scenes of cops grabbing evidence in their bare hands and stomping all over the place like the ****ing Iron Giant, but aside from that, the show is surprisingly likeable. I might just miss it when it inevitably ends up being forced into a [dukar]ty timeslot and being cancelled.

So, anyone else have any thoughts on the show?
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:18 AM »
The only good show that ever shows its face around Syfy channel is Star Trek: The Next Generation.  As such, I haven't been watching it enough to know if there's a second decent series on the air now. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
So I got around to seeing the pilot for that new joint on the SciFi channel, Haven.

Is this some new hip slang, or a misuse of the word?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
The only good show that ever shows its face around Syfy channel is Star Trek: The Next Generation. 
I was going to correct you and say "Doctor Who," but does that even appear on SyFy anymore.  From what I've seen they don't have very much science fiction anymore.  Is Haven science fiction or what SyFy has been showing a lot of that may be called weird-things-are-happening-so-they-must-be-super-natural or simply made-for-TV horror?  Glorb's post made me think of the X-files.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
Is this some new hip slang, or a misuse of the word?

It can refer to a movie, song, really anything. It's like a generic noun and I only use it because I secretly desperately long to be black.
every

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »
Don't we all.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
I see what you did there.

I downloaded and watched the first episode today and it wasn't really bad, but not to my taste.  As expected it wasn't science fiction, but that alone doesn't discount it for me.  As Glorb eluded, it doesn't have very good character development and instead gives them quirky traits (which sometimes can be fun).  I get the feeling that more character development will happen in later episodes especially consider the hooks left at the end.   For me there wasn't enough mystery in the super natural phenomenon, the twist was lame, and the main character spending time and energy into looking for and finding the responsible party(ies) only to let them go was a let down even though I saw it coming.  In the end this is one of those Syfy movies my step-father would like, but I couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to really enjoy it.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
I've heard Warehouse 13 is good, but I didn't watch it on the count of not knowing the schedule here.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
It can refer to a movie, song, really anything. It's like a generic noun and I only use it because I secretly desperately long to be black.

I'm only 20 years old and I've never heard "joint" used to refer to 'basically anything' from any person of any race or background, ever. I've heard joint used for, "let's bust out of this joint" and to refer to rolled up marijuana in papers.

"lol kids these days"
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »
a joint is a place where your bones bend

like your fricking knee and elbow

gosh
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:46 AM »
I was providing examples of how the word "joint" is used that I've heard as a slang term, so I could keep the comparison kinda consistent.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
You've never heard [X] is my joint?

Must be a local thing.
every

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
You Chickenmilkers and your weird-ass slang...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
You've never heard [X] is my joint?

Must be a local thing.

Eh.... no. The closest thing I think I've heard (if I'm referring to the same thing you're referring to) is "[X] is my [dukar]."

"Whose [dukar] is that?"
"My [dukar]."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »
I've heard "my [dukar]" and "my joint" used interchangeably, as in:

"[X] is my joint/[dukar], son!"

Meaning, basically, [X] is the [dukar], or something.

But yeah, we Chickenmilkers come up with the craziest cubicles, frog.
every

Print