Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1695771 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6825 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »
Starbucks is way overpriced and doesn't even taste that good.

Tron is awesome and I'm glad it's getting a sequel, but I just don't see it beating out Toy Story 3.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6826 on: July 20, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
I remember squealing so hard when I saw the "Flynn's" sign during the Tr2n trailer.

And yes, I still like to call it that.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6827 on: July 20, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »
Why not "2ron"?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6828 on: July 24, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
Well, can't get Garry's Mod because apparently my complimentary copy of Portal doesn't count as a source game because it was free.  So if I want that game, I'll have to buy Portal again, meaning I won't be getting it for less than thirty bucks.

Greedy jerks.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6829 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
Well, can't get Garry's Mod because apparently my complimentary copy of Portal doesn't count as a source game because it was free.  So if I want that game, I'll have to buy Portal again, meaning I won't be getting it for less than thirty bucks.

Greedy jerks.

You mean you'd have to buy it. Not buy it again.

God, what is wrong with kids these days. You got a full game for free and you're complaining. Give me a break.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6830 on: July 24, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, really? Valve is a better troll than any other game company.

And besides, just buy a different Source engine game like Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2 (especially Team Fortress 2). That way you have an I-Paid-Money-For-it Source game for Garry's Mod to recognize, and you get to use both games' content!
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6831 on: July 24, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
God, what is wrong with kids these days. You got a full game for free and you're complaining. Give me a break.
I'm not complaining about getting a "full" game for free, I'm complaining about that "full" game not counting as a Source game for Garry's Mod solely because I got it for free, when it would have if I had bought it.  I would have to purchase a game I already own, rendering my getting it for free completely invalid.

And besides, just buy a different Source engine game like Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2 (especially Team Fortress 2). That way you have an I-Paid-Money-For-it Source game for Garry's Mod to recognize, and you get to use both games' content!
Can't.  M-Rated.  Not allowed.

« Reply #6832 on: July 24, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
I'm not complaining about getting a "full" game for free, I'm complaining about that "full" game not counting as a Source game for Garry's Mod solely because I got it for free, when it would have if I had bought it.  I would have to purchase a game I already own, rendering my getting it for free completely invalid.
Can't.  M-Rated.  Not allowed.

You are 18.

You have graduated High School.

You have your own money and your own computer.

You are legally an adult in America and in many other places. You have no reason to say "M-rated". If your parents have a problem with it, grow a spine and tell them to deal with it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #6833 on: July 24, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »
He's 17, and thus presumably still in high school and legally considered a minor.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6834 on: July 24, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »

So you didn't play Portal at all? You're only going to use it solely for Gary's Mod? Are you for real? Here's what I'm reading:

"OH THIS GAME I PAID NOTHING FOR DOESN'T ALLOW ME TO DO EVERYTHING SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY PAID FOR IT CAN DO. HOW DARE THOSE GREEDY JERKS HOLD BACK SOME FEATURE FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS INSTEAD OF FREELOADERS LIKE ME."

Portal's a solid game, you got it for free and are acting like a spoiled little kid. You want "all" of the content, go buy it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6835 on: July 24, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »
So you didn't play Portal at all?
I did.  It's good.

Portal's a solid game, you got it for free and are acting like a spoiled little kid. You want "all" of the content, go buy it.
If they're going to advertise it as being the full game when they give it away, then they shouldn't exclude it from enabling Garry's Mod.  And no, I'd rather not pay 200% of the actual price of GM just because getting it for free doesn't work.  I've said this many, many times: I don't have the money to shell out on games at will.  I have to prioritize which games I want and then prioritize which games I really want because games are expensive.  I don't have the money to spend on a copy of a game I already have to get a feature that maybe should have been included already.

Also, I was really cheesed off when I wrote that initial complaint.  The shock had not worn off, if you will.  I'm looking at it with a more level head now, and while I realize that I have no real right to be able to run GM with my copy of Portal, it was still a dumb idea to exclude free games from enabling one to purchase it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6836 on: July 24, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
By the way, I'm pretty sure Turtlekid can't buy a copy of Portal, since the free copy counts as owning the game.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6837 on: July 24, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
If they're going to advertise it as being the full game when they give it away, then they shouldn't exclude it from enabling Garry's Mod.  And no, I'd rather not pay 200% of the actual price of GM just because getting it for free doesn't work.  I've said this many, many times: I don't have the money to shell out on games at will.  I have to prioritize which games I want and then prioritize which games I really want because games are expensive.  I don't have the money to spend on a copy of a game I already have to get a feature that maybe should have been included already.

Also, I was really cheesed off when I wrote that initial complaint.  The shock had not worn off, if you will.  I'm looking at it with a more level head now, and while I realize that I have no real right to be able to run GM with my copy of Portal, it was still a dumb idea to exclude free games from enabling one to purchase it.

That's cool and all, but it's not like your situation is unique. Before I had a job, I had to ration my spending too. But what irks me, is that your posts ultimately boil down to you complaining about a game you got for free. And even more so that you continue to do it.

You did not spend any of your money and you got to experience Portal in its entirety. You got something for free that many people before you paid for. The 'price' you paid, for not buying it, is a missing extra feature. It's an enticement for those who actually, you know, support the company.

I just don't understand how you can sit here and complain. I really can't. The sense of entitlement and complete lack of appreciation, especially for someone who "doesn't have the money to shell out on games at will", that you're displaying towards a product given to you completely baffles me.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6838 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Holy [dukar], Black Mage is about to burst a blood vessel and spray old-man-anger-juice all over his monitor because Turtlekid wants to be able to use Portal assets in Garry's Mod? Jesus dude, chill. I didn't sense any entitlement in TK's post (at least, not as much as the average Valve fan).

Just because TK's not in a situation to throw down wads of cash on every Big Man AAA PC Game he comes across doesn't mean he's acting like a spoiled brat. The dude wants to be able to use stuff he owns to the fullest extent, whether or not he paid for it, and I have to agree, it's a bit of a foul-up on Valve's part.

Also, stop ignoring Warp's post. I don't think the same person can own the same game twice for himself, under Steam's rules.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6839 on: July 25, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
Thing is, Turtlekid would be able to use the Portal assets in GMod perfectly fine - if he was able to buy it. But as it is, you can't buy GMod if the only Source game you own was given away (Alien Swarm, free Portal from the Mac promotion, and free Half-Life 2: Deathmatch from those video card promotions ages ago) or wasn't developed by Valve (Zeno Clash, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, and The Ship; I don't believe these games' assets are compatible with GMod).

To clear it up for anyone who doesn't get it, the situation isn't that Turtlekid can't use the free game's assets, but rather that he's being told by Steam that he can't buy a game because of how he obtained a game that in any other situation would make him eligible.

Print