Print

Author Topic: 1up.com Spreads the Hate on MKWii  (Read 6892 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »

How ironic: a site whose namesake could *possibly* be derived from the Super Mario franchise always seems to be the quickest to criticize said franchise. Most visitors know how much we bemoaned their choices in the past, and now they got a new article up to boil the blood of Mario fans. Jeremy Parish's blog lays out exactly why he disliked Mario Kart Wii, from stating Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was a better title to calling the new tricks option "the stupid, stupid tricks system." Read on to see if his complaints are merited, or if they're just "explosively awful."

Link: 1up.com
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:36:11 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
I don't think Mario originated the term "1Up", though.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
Pac-Man did, I think.

Yeah, I read this article before... *looks over again* Oh, wait, no I didn't! Geez, is everyone ripping on this game? It's over-hyped, but it's not bad.

Questions:

When has Mario Kart not been entirely random? And why is that a bad thing?
Who gives a **** if the cars on the road drive on the left?
If the track design's great, and there's no racing game without (good) tracks, how are any other complaints worthy?
Why does he have to drag this bizarre political comparison into it?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »
Why does he have to drag this bizarre political comparison into it?

Actually, that was pretty funny. But you know what I didn't like? His overuse of exclamation marks! Not to illustrate anger, but just 'cus! It makes him sound totally phony when he used exclamation marks to praise the game! It was also annoying when he randomly used the ellipses! It sounded... weird! And... fake! Like a large... headcrab... jumped on him... and is making him... speak in... segmented... li... ne... s!

You know what's interesting about the whole thing? EGM gave Double Dash a really high score, but what did Double Dash Introduce? A useless gimmick that put two racers in one kart. Oh, and co-op play, but all that amounted to is on person drives and the other occasionally presses a button to shoot an item. Lazy jerk. Hardly my idea of innovation. It also removed the hop feature, which some reviewers criticized the game for. The most notable of MK:DD critics was IGN, who I can remember saying the game lost an enormous amount of depth because of this removal, even saying, "all you find is an overly kid friendly, candy coated kart racer that is very easy to tire of." and "Nintendo has stuck to a formulated sequel rather than creating something that feels fresh and exciting." One console later, and Nintendo has brought back the hop maneuver and added new content. IGN got more positive while EGM/1-up got more negative. The much more brutal item design seemed to irritate 1-up more then IGN. I  guess that proves it really is impossible to please everyone, eh? Especially for a series like Mario Kart, which will probably always have the same criticisms of luck-based gameplay leveled against it unless Nintendo got rid of the items all together. But really, what's Mario Kart without it's items?

Once I get the game, I'll judge for myself.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
That was a bad review, it focused on the stupid random stuff that no one even notices, when there are other problems. Overall, I don't agree, however, I do hate how most motorcycles mess up drifting for long time fans for being harder to do, even when the drift bar is almost all the way up.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »
Who gives a bunch of freaking asterisks if the cars on the road drive on the left?

It's actually necessary to keep the game the same as in other countries--Wi-Fi. What happens when you're playing a Brit on Moonview Highway, when suddenly, whoosh! He flies right through a car.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »
Have they ever changed that before? If so, they shouldn't have. It's a Japanese game and they drive on the left in Japan.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
I'm quite sure they've never driven on the right side. In Toad's Turnpike they only drove with you regardless of the lane, unless it was Extra in which they drove against you. I'm not sure about Mario Kart DS, though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:32:28 AM »
Aren't there cars going both ways in one of them? Besides, nothing Mirror Mode can't fix.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print