Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto: Future Mario Games May Use Balance Board  (Read 15829 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »
Yeah, if you can get past the fact that it's a huge middle finger cast in the direction of Rare and their work on whatever the DK series was before it came out.
Like... what? Obsessive collecting, cheap deaths, and butt-ugly prerenders? If anything, DKJB renewed my faith in Donkey Kong (King of Swing... not so much).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:14 AM »
So... people are expecting Nintendo never to make another DK game out of respect to Rare? I'd rather see new, interesting, actually fun games come out.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »
Like... what? Engaging gameplay elements, tricky level design, and beautiful atmosphere? If anything, DKJB disregarded everything that DK had as a franchise before it's release.

Seriously. This bias against Rare aggravates me to no end.

And, Chupperson, King of Swing, Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast were new, interesting and fun. DKJB was new, but it was not interesting or fun. At least not to me.

Think of it this way.... what if Super Mario Galaxy, the unique experience that it was, completely lacked anything Mario-related aside from Mario himself, and say.. the gold coins? How would you people feel about that? What if it were being developed by a new developer that is not known for any previous work on the franchise? Really, what would you say to that?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Great. I stick up for Nintendo, and now you're on my case about Rare.

Additionally, don't screw with my quotes.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
You were sticking up for Nintendo at Rare's expense. They used to be an unbeatable team. Also, I was editing your quote for emphasis. Sounds like you were a little too desperate to avoid looking like a compulsive complainer again, and look what happened in the process...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
I don't really hate Rare--in fact, they made quite a few games I loved as a kid (and still do, though maybe not as much), but it's just that... their games do have the stigma of being Nintendo game knock-offs (and, when they make games for Nintendo, lacking that Big N polish). And, of course, there's that little thing about them deserting Nintendo for Microsoft (but not before humiliating them with Conker's Bad Fur Day).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
They didn't desert them. Nintendo willingly sold them off. And I hardly think that their games lacked the so-called "polish" you speak of when most of the time they took a formula and did nothing but improve on it. Example: Diddy Kong Racing is an infinitely better built game than Mario Kart 64, yet people still take mindless digs at it for being a "knockoff".

PS: Conker's Bad Fur Day was an unappreciated masterpiece. Nintendo's Disney mindset killed any chance it had.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »
*Points at sig*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
A little more thought before you post. Half the time it seems like you look for ways to look like a compulsive complainer.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
What was the first thing I did that made people start hating me? Just curious, because I feel like I really am a nice guy in person.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »
I still don't understand why people love the DKC games so much. DKC1 was pretty great, but it was sort of downhill from there. They started adding all these boring and aggravating non-platforming elements to a platforming game and just kept making it less fun. I can't say much about DK64 but I know people who thought the constant character changing was really annoying.

DKJB, on the other hand, has a new and engaging control interface, and nothing but loads of awesome platforming action.
That was a joke.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »
I still don't understand why people love the DKC games so much. DKC1 was pretty great, but it was sort of downhill from there. They started adding all these boring and aggravating non-platforming elements to a platforming game and just kept making it less fun. I can't say much about DK64 but I know people who thought the constant character changing was really annoying.

DKJB, on the other hand, has a new and engaging control interface, and nothing but loads of awesome platforming action.

The world must be ending, because I completely agree with Chup on every point he just made.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »
What was so boring and aggravating about DKC2? The stuff it had was essentially an improvement of everything the first one had, plus the challenge was upped considerably. The only one I can see warranting an argument like that is DKC3, and that's only because it was more of the same, but I'll be [darn]ed if the atmosphere wasn't spot-on (see: those rockface levels). DKJB was shallow. Beating a drum over and over to make your guy move to the right isn't engaging. It's painful. Everything else was marred by the considerably un-Donkey Kong atmosphere. It would be like playing a Mario game in a world that looked like Resident Evil.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
DKC2: Bramble Blast or whatever that horrible all-cannon level is. Also the beehive levels were pretty annoying. DKC2 had nice water effects, though; I have to give it that.

Well, all I have left to say is that the combo system is in fact rather deep and tricky to master, and you have to master it to unlock all the levels. And if it pains you to use a control system where you don't have your hands locked in a single position the entire time, I'm sorry. Also I guess I don't consider the DKC games to have a very "Donkey Kong" atmosphere in the first place.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
Bramble Blast is offset by the fact that it's visuals and background music are stunning, plus, much like the aforementioned combo system that DKJB had, the barrel blasting is also deep and tricky to master. Besides, that level is a cakewalk compared to what comes later. I will agree that the beehive levels were annoying, but what other games of the era had beehive levels at all? It's an unexplored archetype and the concepts behind were pretty dang creative, I should say.

As for DKJB control scheme, holding a controller by the grips and pressing buttons is one thing, but holding a drum between your legs and beating it is another. Also, if DKC's atmosphere isn't "Donkey Kong" to you, what is? There was hardly an established setting for the character prior to Rare's involvement outside of "city" and "jungle". Using those two for an entire platformer adventure would get pretty dull. Rare outdid themselves in creating an entire universe for DK to live in, much like what Miyamoto and his team did for Zelda and Mario.

Print