Print

Author Topic: Platformer Drought  (Read 6067 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: November 07, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »
In 2004 and 2005, I've seen countless awesome Mario games, including baseball, soccer, RPGs, kart racing, and even dancing (DDR: Mario Mix). But was Mario where we wanted to see him: in a platformer? Answer: No.

Why is this? It seems as if Nintendo, in a desparate effort to remain "revolutionary", has abandoned making traditional platform-jumping Mario games, instead going out to conquer every single genre on the entire face of the earth (except RTS games...for now). In all fairness, Super Mario 128 will supposedly be a platformer, but this has not been 100% confirmed. And besides, SM128 will be on the Revolution, which means it will probably not use the standard control scheme (my guess: using the A button to jump, but running by pointing the controller and aiming fireballs with the D-pad). When will this madness stop?

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 03:30:10 PM »
Nintendo is probably trying to get alot of money so in the next stage of consoles, they can match up to the amount of back-up money Microsoft and Sony has selling things OTHER then video games, they think of it as "another way to get alotta cash". Don't worry, one more buck means one more minute of platform-goodness on the Rev. Alaso, the Rev will have a standard two-handed controller, from what I heard, at least...

Orginized is my middle name.

Poorly is my first.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 04:01:12 PM »
So? What's the problem? Mario never was out of the game and he never will. Nintendo wasn't either. Sure critics are bashing all the non-platformer games, but do you see the Parties, Tennis and others flopping? I don't think so.

About Mario 128, I see your problem is about the Controller AGAIN. I'm sure Mario 128 will sell good. I've been around and I've been to polls, and I've seen that many of the Mario audience like the spin-offs more than the main games.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 04:37:47 PM »
There isn't enough info on Super Mario 128, you shouldn't confirm even a little info on it, I have not heard a word about it, but I've seen plenty of false rumors. But Nintendo kept the SM128 idea for so long, (I guess because, they wanted to switch consoles after the next-gen started.) But don't go talking about it just yet.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 05:39:06 PM »
Yeah, I guess you have a valid point, so long as you ignored "The new Super Mario Bros." for the Nintendo DS.

You know, the game that's exactly what you're complaining doesn't exist.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »
I can't defend the sports games much from your charges, other than saying that they do not take resources from the team that would be making new platformer Mario games, but I argue that the RPGs and Mario vs. DK are very much in the spirit of Mario games - first, that jumping is fun, and second, platforming.

^ It is an utterly inescapable miasma of pure, mind-shattering MADNESS from which no mind can awake!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »
Well the third parties are the ones developing it.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 07:43:42 PM »
Nintendo's just not trying anymore.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 09:21:40 PM »
It's not that they're not trying, it's that they want each Mario Platforemer to be a new fun experience. They put more effort into the Mario platformers than any other Mario games.

Super Mario 128 will most likely be a platformer considering it's supposed to be the true sequal to Super Mario 64.

And people seriously need to stop accusing Nintendo of making all these spin-offs and dodging platformers. They're not even the ones developing the games. Except for Mario Kart that is.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »
Well considering the revolution they used to have with their platformers on other systems, and considering that SMS was GameCube's ONLY one, and it really wasn't all that great, I'd say no they're not trying as hard anymore.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 01:37:51 PM »
The Gamecube wasn't the 'best' system in the race these years, but if the Rev can outrun the competition, Nintendo has all the time they want for a platformer.

-----------------------------
Orginized is my middle name.

Poorly is my first.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »
SMB & SM64 were the only ones who actually caused any sort of revolution.  SMB 2, 3 and SMW were great but didn't do anything that could be considered revolutionary.

Besides, you think SMS wasn't great. That's an opinion not a fact. That doesn't mean they're not trying.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 05:03:55 PM »
> Nintendo's not trying anymore

This is what I'm thinking. Nintendo has many other franchises to work on and they don't have enough time for Mario.

About the other games, I'll mention again. Nintendo is trying, it's just that the third parties are the ones working on it most of the time. Not Nintendo. So don't blame them that much.

EDIT: I think that SMS is great.

EDIT2: Nintendo is trying. They have fear of their new games being the same format so they're trying to make Mario different all the time.

EDIT3: I'll say it again. Why do all of the members in FF perfer OldSchool over NewSchool?

EDIT4: Before someone complains, I just want to point out that I was born and was influenced by Mario games. When I became older I really became interested in MP and MK etc.

Edited by - Aarom11 on 11/10/2005 3:23:29 PM

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 07:12:13 PM »
Why do we prefer old over new? I don't know, but I certainly do. I've been glued to SMAS all week. Some sort of magic emanates from my SNES. I'm thinking I'll download the 64 games, get rid of the 64 and Gamecube, keep the cube games, and not get rid of my SNES. How could I ever do that?

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:30:55 PM »
> SMB & SM64 were the only ones who actually caused any sort of revolution. SMB 2, 3 and SMW were great but didn't do anything that could be considered revolutionary.

Don't forget Donkey Kong. Mario Kart could probably be considered revolutionary, too.

^ It is an utterly inescapable miasma of pure, mind-shattering MADNESS from which no mind can awake!

Print