Print

Author Topic: Mario news from Nintendo's 2010 Conference  (Read 7241 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:14:13 AM »
Nintendo's latest conference wrapped up in Japan a few hours ago. Perhaps the most exciting announcement was the confirmation that the Nintendo 3DS will have its own Virtual Console service that will offer classic Game Boy and Game Boy Color games for download. So far, Nintendo's website only shows screen shots for Super Mario Land and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX.

A Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary edition DSi XL was also announced for Japan, and will be released there on October 28.

Nintendo's conference website has new screen shots and release info for 24 upcoming games. Here's a list of the Mario titles along with their Japanese release dates:

3DS:
 * Paper Mario (tentative title) - TBD
 * Mario Kart (tentative title) - TBD

Wii:
 * Mario Sports Mix - 11/25/2010
 * Donkey Kong Country Returns (titled Donkey Kong Returns) - Winter

DS:
 * Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (titled Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Assault! Miniland) - 12/2/2010

The Nintendo 3DS will launch in Japan on February 26, while North America will have to wait until sometime in March.

Link: Nintendo Conference 2010
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:23:42 PM by Deezer »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
On the one hand, this could mean that we'll see Metroid II: Return of Samus for the first time in years.  On the other hand, this could also mean that we won't ever see it get the Zero Mission treatment.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
A Virtual Portable is cool, but like Tk said, that would seem to mean less of a chance of those older games getting separately overhauled. I already own SML and LADX, though, so I'll have to see what else is coming.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:04:25 AM »
Finally, a handheld system that'll play SMBDX, assuming they make that available for download.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
So we'll still have to keep our regular DSes in order to play GBA games, then?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »
Some sites are reporting GBA also for the 3DS Virtual Console. I only see GB and GBC on Nintendo's site, but I haven't had a chance to watch the presentation video yet.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:26:57 PM by Deezer »

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
I was wondering that as well.  At any rate, original Gameboy/Color compatibility is a major plus.  I see they've got an improved Mii-Channel-esque feature as well; any news on whether or not they'll be compatible with Wii Miis?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »
According to this article, yes, you'll be able to import your existing Wii Miis.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »
Since Miis are like 4k text files, you'd better be able to.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
It's more interesting to me that you can take a picture of someone and it'll make a Mii of them automatically. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
...Albeit unrealistic ones. That woman's Mii looked nothing like her picture.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:44 AM »
Meh, but whose does anyway?  I and everyone else I know use the standard eye shapes with black irises, and the face shapes and hairdos are still fairly limiting.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
Maybe Nintendo will use proper Super Game Boy emulation on the their new Pocket VC, and of course, I'll have to document that. I can't wait.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print