Poll

Which of the following do you believe has, does, or will exist, or is true?

Good luck
4 (0.6%)
Aliens
22 (3.2%)
Angels
29 (4.2%)
Bigfoot
6 (0.9%)
Demons
23 (3.3%)
Elves
5 (0.7%)
Ghosts
19 (2.7%)
Heaven
40 (5.8%)
Hell
38 (5.5%)
Living dinosaurs today
6 (0.9%)
Leprechauns
6 (0.9%)
Loch Ness Monster
13 (1.9%)
The Trinity
6 (0.9%)
Mermaids
4 (0.6%)
Moth Man
2 (0.3%)
Other dimensions (as in worlds)
15 (2.2%)
The possibility of teleportation
10 (1.4%)
UFOs
19 (2.7%)
Yetis
4 (0.6%)
Santa Claus
8 (1.2%)
Chewbacca
5 (0.7%)
Vampires
3 (0.4%)
Satan
26 (3.8%)
Fairies
5 (0.7%)
Miracles
18 (2.6%)
ESP
9 (1.3%)
None of these things
1 (0.1%)
Prophetic dreams/visions
22 (3.2%)
Telepathic connections
10 (1.4%)
Witches/Witchcraft
10 (1.4%)
Hobbits
1 (0.1%)
Multiple gods
4 (0.6%)
Atlantis
6 (0.9%)
Nirvana
3 (0.4%)
Speaking in tongues
8 (1.2%)
Greek legends
2 (0.3%)
Luigi in SM64 (don't even!)
8 (1.2%)
Magic
9 (1.3%)
Sesame Street
6 (0.9%)
Spontaneous combustion
9 (1.3%)
Fate
11 (1.6%)
Unicorns
2 (0.3%)
Griffins
2 (0.3%)
Fawns
2 (0.3%)
Dragons
7 (1%)
Tanukis
5 (0.7%)
Phoenixes
3 (0.4%)
Pegasus
2 (0.3%)
Jesus as God's son
24 (3.5%)
The Rapture
12 (1.7%)
Love at first site
11 (1.6%)
Soul mates
13 (1.9%)
Superstition as real
4 (0.6%)
Limbo
7 (1%)
Reincarnation
6 (0.9%)
Fountain of Youth
6 (0.9%)
Time travel
12 (1.7%)
Werewolves
2 (0.3%)
Centaurs
1 (0.1%)
Zombies
3 (0.4%)
The Apocalypse
14 (2%)
The existence of the missing link(s)
7 (1%)
The possibility of world peace
8 (1.2%)
Girls on the internet!
21 (3%)
Bob
9 (1.3%)
Bob's mom
5 (0.7%)
Gaia
2 (0.3%)
Future mass extinction
7 (1%)
Human cloning without side affects
6 (0.9%)
Purgatory
3 (0.4%)
Alternate realities
5 (0.7%)
Voodoo
2 (0.3%)
Evil curses
3 (0.4%)
Absolutes
4 (0.6%)
Relativity of knowledge
3 (0.4%)
The Secret Page
6 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Print

Author Topic: I Don't Believe It!  (Read 91840 times)

« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »
It does mention dinos, but I can't remember where, so I'd appreciate someone backing me up. :) Also, just count how many years by the thousands ect, and you'll see that earth is not 6 million years old like so many books tell.

Haha, what? 6 million? I don't know what books you're reading, but the Earth actually formed some 4,550 million years ago (give or take 70 million years).

« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »
Not questioning the age but the existence of dinosaurs. How could there of been dinosaurs 60 million years ago?

« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
What's the problem?

« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
Yeah, even if the world is that old they could have still lived in history.

The Bible never mentions dinosaurs.  It is probably because the people writing the religion didn't even know what dinosaurs were so they didn't include them in the story that supposidly tells you how everything works.

Woo!  This is one question I really look forward to answering.  Do you remember what I said earlier in the topic about the Book of Job, chapters 40 and 41?  You might want to read those.  Depending on the version you have (like KJV), you'll hear about some bizairre creatures called the Behemoth and the Leviathan.  The Behemoth is a strange creature that swings it's tail like a cedar tree, eats grass, drinks tons of water, has bones like iron, and can break through traps with his nose.  The Leviathan is a scary sea creature with scales, sharp teeth and... BREATHES FIRE!!  Not kidding.  I wrote a fun research paper for college about the possibility of living dinosaurs today and I learned about this in part of my research.  I'll let you read a small part of that here if you want to.

Many church attendants have probably never heard about something like this, but it is quite possible that dinosaurs (or something like them) are mentioned in a few brief places in the Bible.  Occasionally, we can hear words like “behemoth,” “leviathan,” and “dragon” mentioned, and despite how the names of these words can change between versions, one specific book appears to suggest things much different from any modern day animal we may think of (King James Bible).

In the book of Job in chapter 40:15-24, God reminds Job about a creature called behemoth, and says that it eats grass in the mountains, has bones as strong as brass or iron bars, and that he can “drinketh up a river and hasteth not; he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.”  He also says that the creature moves his tail like a cedar tree and can break through hunters’ traps with his nose.  Versions like the Living Bible translates the word behemoth into “hippopotamus,” but if that was only hippo, it would have to be a very thirsty, mountain-dwelling hippo with a big tail (King James Bible).

When chapter 40 ends, the next one presents an even greater suggestion of a possible dinosaur when it goes on to describe another fierce and powerful creature (or a different name for the same creature) named leviathan; the last creature that God describes.

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? Or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down (verse 1)?... Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons?  Or his head with fish spears?  Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.  Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him (7-9)?  Who can open the doors of his face? His teeth are terrible round bout.  His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.” (King James Bible, Job 40:14-15)

The phrase “drawing out leviathan” sounds like a reference to water, and the aquatic creature must have tough, scaly skin and perhaps a mouth like a crocodile.  But could a crocodile or other small scaly creature escape from these sharp, deadly weapons?  And what kind of scaled creature could scare everyone, including Steve Irwin, simply by its appearance?  Is it a giant crocodile perhaps?  If anyone thought they knew the answer, the end of the chapter only sets those ideas on fire.

Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.  Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or cauldron.  His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth (19-21).... He maketh the deep to boil like a pot; he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment (31).... Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. (King James Version, 33) 

Are these creatures what we think they are?  If the behemoth is not a grass-eating dinosaur and the leviathan is not a dragon or fire-breathing sea serpent, then what else could they possibly be?  Would God, who supposedly speaks in these verses and the rest of Job, exaggerate about these beasts (Job 38-42)?  Or were these simply a few analogies for the devil or something else, like the analogies in Revelation? 

We may not know for sure, but we can remember that God depicts these two creatures following many other well-known animals, therefore suggesting more real animals. (Job 38-42).  And He has also compared the devil with ordinary creatures before, such as a wolf, serpent, and “a roaring lion,” so that could possibly indicate something too. If not dinosaurs, perhaps these are things we have never seen before (and may never want to) (King James Version).

That was a really fun paper to write!  But anyway... that's what it says.  The paper wasn't only about what the Bible says but that was a big part of it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 03:13:52 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »
Haha, what? 6 million? I don't know what books you're reading, but the Earth actually formed some 4,550 million years ago (give or take 70 million years).
I think I just forgot because I haven't seen any of that stuff in a while so I was just sort of estimating, I remember know that the books said 60 million years, but either way, I don't believe it being "millions" of years, but still, I found 60 million years bologna.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2006, 02:44:39 PM »
Why do you find it bologna?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
No, no, he found a piece of bologna that was 60 million years old! Eww! I wouldn't eat that if I were you.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with you just in case that conversation might come up, but really, I'm just going to say this:

In most non-God religions they say the dinosaurs existed long before human kind meaning there were not really many things taking care of the earth to make it so green, now, it can be said from people that once people came on earth that they filled the earth with plants and other things that make earth what it is now, but how do things even come from other objects on the earth or from noting at all, that would mean that there were such thing as magic and human could make use of magic on their own, but they can't, meaning that only something could create them (You know what I'm saying.). Also, how can magic exist? I must have come from something, are we all here for no real reason? That would be odd, I really don't get how anything could exist from absolutely nothing at all when everything here did not exist at one time, I know people can say that how could God exist, but He is God, meaning He can do anything thus, making Him exist, before time. (Off-topic)Oh my gosh, I just realized I've been posting a whole lot more worth reading posts lately.(Off-topic)
*Waits for more questions seconds later*

Haha Sapph.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 03:06:31 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
Humans wrote the Bible. Dinosaurs died out before humans were around. That's why dinosaurs aren't in the Bible. (I sound like I'm explaining this to a 6 year old :\)

« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2006, 06:44:06 PM »
But if the world was created by God when the Bible was written (well maybe not at that time, but not 60 million years)...how were there dinosaurs that long ago?

« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
ProTip: If you want the world to make sense, don't take the Bible literally.

« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »
Sapphira: XD  But wouldn't it evolve into a bologna sandwhich by then? (not insulting evolution)

Lizard Dude: Well, you can take it literally sometimes but definitely not always.  It takes discretion and God's wisdom for knowing what is truth and what is analogies.

Humans wrote the Bible. Dinosaurs died out before humans were around. That's why dinosaurs aren't in the Bible. (I sound like I'm explaining this to a 6 year old :\)

It looks like once again, YR is completely ignored. >_>  Oh well, I understand how hard it is to read long posts.  I talk about dinosaurs in the Bible in my last post.

Also, I've found a ton of good information about stuff like this at the following link: http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/.  I haven't read everything yet so I'm sorry if there's anything kind of offensive or inaccurate, or whatever, but from what I've seen it's very good information. (concerning Genesis and stuff) The author seems to dislike evolution and you probably won't agree with everything he says but it's still fascinating.  IMO I may need to find more sites that I disagree with. ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 08:05:06 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
Can you believe that some idiot 6 idiots! said that they believe that Luigi is in SM64!

« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »
That's because he is. He's in SM64DS. They never said which version of SM64 :P
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2006, 10:16:31 PM »
Perhaps these individuals thought they were being funny.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print