Print

Author Topic: Banjo Blows Up Mario  (Read 32310 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »
Rare and Microsoft have released a trailer for their upcoming game Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for the Xbox 360.  Near the end of the trailer, the bear and bird fly past a giant 8-bit Mario, and a few seconds later they blow the head off of it.  Whether that's self-referential humor regarding the departure from Nintendo or a brazen bit of bravado, it is amusing.

Go take a look for yourself...

Source: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts Trailer, at GameVideos.com

Update: The original video was edited to remove the portion where Mario is destroyed.  Luckily, the guys over at The Rare Witch Project archived the original.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:33:21 PM by MEGAߥTE »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
That game looks awful.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »
Heresy!  Blasphemy!...  *watches trailer*

Oooh, explosions!
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
From the looks of the video, it sure looks like the old Banjo and Kazooie I knew has been lost forever.

But the game itself doesn't look all bad, in fact it kind of looks cool! ...But I'm at a loss of what this game's genre is. It actually reminded me of GTA for a couple of seconds.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
What?  Banjo is now a carjacking perv?  I don't believe it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »
Wow... Microsoft... what did you do to Rare?! Those evil, heartless, son of a... Well. I died a little inside when 8-bit Mario's head exploded.

One thing though... Did Nintendo give them rights to use Mario's image in such a manner?! I mean, if not properly done, couldn't Nintendo sue Rare?

That aside, I think they're going overboard with Banjo Kazooie.... Just look what happened to Sonic.
I really don't care much for logic.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »
Because every game that involve driving vehicles and blowing stuff up is exactly the same as GTA, right? Lord, that's what I hate about those kinds of games becoming the rule rather than the exception.

Me, I think this game looks phenominal. It may not be a straight-up Banjo game, persay, but the presence of the characters is what has the game double sold on me.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »
I saw a second trailer elsewhere, featuring more "traditional' BK stuff.

The first trailer just smacks of "we're trying to appeal to the stereotypical 360 crowd", though.

In five or six years, when I get a used 360, I'll make sure to try the game out.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »
I didn't see anything related to Mario's head exploding. They started flying upward, there was a big Mario-built-of-blocks on a bridge... And then the next scene came.

And there was nothing related to carjacking, either! They were building stuff.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »
Did you watch the end of the trailer or what?
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »
Wow... Microsoft... what did you do to Rare?!

NO ONE DID ANYTHING TO RARE.

You guys don't seem to recall that tons of key staff members (Ken Lobb, etc.) LEFT Rareware before the purchase by Microsoft. Rareware was declining in quality in the late N64 era.

(I've not seen the trailer, but I do plan on getting the next game in the Banjo-Kazooie series, even if it might not be as good as the other two were.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:09:56 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
Like Suffix I did not see Mario's head explode.  Is there a part two of this that I missed or was it edit?  Can someone who saw Mario's head explode rewatch it and/or tell me where what I'm missing is?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »
It looks like some new territory is being explored, which is exciting but scary at the same time. But it's probably the right thing to do, since Banjo-Kazooie is a zany series to begin with and Rare's only option is zany it further. I also liked that I saw a Mumbo Jumbo house; I like him. And robot Grunty looks pretty promising too. I heard that she still rhymes everything. The new look of Banjo and Kazooie is good move too, but for some reason it doesn't really work with the old sound (Banjo's signature "duh-huh").

Hm.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:47:27 PM by Ambulance Y »
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:51 PM »
Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one, Luigison.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
Looks like they removed that portion!  The filenames at the link now include the phrase WITHOUTMARIO.

Print