Print

Author Topic: Racism as comedy  (Read 18875 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Comparing Stormfront to ED is like literally comparing neo-Nazis to racially-insensitive internet trolls. Anyone who doesn't think that every Stromfront member should be herded up and executed should be killed along with them, to put it lightly.

By the way, "racism as comedy" is entirely different from "racial humour" by definition.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I wasn't really comparing the two, I was just saying that the two sites both use the same types of "humor".

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Except Stormfront encourages the mass genocide of certain races and ethnicities. ED simply makes light of their skin color.

As for the question at hand, it's only really funny when the person of said race makes the jokes, since they will most likely have had said experiences throughout their lives and they will connect with the audience far better than some white guy trying to go HURR MEXICANS AND BLACKS.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
Ralphie May has made a career out of making racist/insensitive jokes and I find him extremely hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:22:04 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Ralphie May has made a career out of making racist/insensitive jokes and I find him extremely hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:08:42 PM by Weegee »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
Dang, this is definitely a hard topic to pick a side on... well, I've long thought that the acceptance of comedic racism is actually a good gauge for how much racism there is in society--as long as no one's going overboard or, as TEM said, going beyond a joke into mocking malice, not getting all uptight and offended at a racial quip indicates that at least one person has learned that it's okay to laugh at this or that culture or creed's idiosyncrasies and still not be a bigot. It's for this reason that I think Al Sharpton et al really do seem to actually bring black people down when they pick the pettiest of issues to complain about.

On a related note, I'm not sure if it's really a racist joke--perhaps the polar opposite, in fact--but that episode of South Park with the guy on Jeopardy posed with "People Who Annoy You" is perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
A) Cool vid

B) What is up with their stereo effect

C) Thanks for spoiling the best joke of it with your linktext

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
I'm going to start posting like this now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »
Whoa!

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
Am I missing something here? Pineapple? "Linktext"?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
"Pineapple" was the text which contained a link to the video, with said plant apparently pertaining to some joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
I don't think you're qualified to answer that, Brian.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
But I'm still right, right?

Print