Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1705362 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5340 on: March 21, 2009, 07:13:24 AM »
All I'm saying is that's at least one less game I'm going to actually want to buy someday. I didn't mean it in a boycotting sense.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5341 on: March 21, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
Why not compile a list of every game you're not going to buy?

...wait you did you that already. Several times.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5342 on: March 21, 2009, 10:06:35 AM »
Technically, no and no.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #5343 on: March 25, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
So, yeah, I got dumped today.

Obviously, though, this will be ignored for more hatred of Nintendo.
No! I don't want that!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5344 on: March 25, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
That sucks.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5345 on: March 25, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
Indeed. Details, or is it private?

« Reply #5346 on: March 26, 2009, 11:03:09 AM »
Captain Jim, I know how you feel man. Relationships aren't always a bowl of cherries, but sometimes getting dumped will make you stronger (sort of what happened to me). I hope I don't sound too insensitive when I say that, but things will get better.

On a side note, I'm a little peeved that so many my friends are complaining about our president Barack Obama. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of his raving fans (I actually voted for Chuck Baldwin), but he's only been in office for two months. Give him some time and keep an open mind. Just because he's not a conservative doesn't mean he's going to tear the country up.

For the record, I am a liberal republican.

EDIT: Aw screw it, I'm a democrat. I'm tired of lying to please my father.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:47:36 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5347 on: March 26, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
It makes me smile when people complain about relationship problems on the internet.

Angst: I'm eagerly awaiting the next issues of several comics (including one from Image comics that has an unknown release schedule) and my patience is running thin.

« Reply #5348 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »
On a side note, I'm a little peeved that so many my friends are complaining about our president Barack Obama. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of his raving fans (I actually voted for Chuck Baldwin), but he's only been in office for two months. Give him some time and keep an open mind. Just because he's not a conservative doesn't mean he's going to tear the country up.

People are just incredibly impatient. He's been in office for two months and has done what he can. The effects won't be apparent for a couple of months or even years. It amazes me that some people honestly thought he'd strut into office, touch the national deficit, make it disappear and bring us to a golden age of plentiful jobs and large pay.

Oh yeah, I'm failing Art class again since I treat the class like an afterthought and resulted in missing multiple projects and written responses. As long as I pass my other classes though, I honestly don't care.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5349 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
Whether it's his fault or not, Obama had some really high expectations going in (oceans receding and planets healing and whatnot), and it's a long way down from there if he turns out to just be another compromising politician. I'm trying to hold off judgment on my bigger concerns about him for a while, but putting a guy in charge of the Treasury who claims not to be able to figure out TurboTax is definitely pretty worrying.

It's too early to judge his results, though at the same time it'd be irresponsible not to carefully examine his intentions. He's already said, among other things, that he wants lots more abortion rights and seems to have implied some pretty Marxist tendencies, and if that's the kind of stuff he wants to do, I want him to fail at it.

Anyway,

What's mostly annoying me now is people complaining about the new Zelda game. All the complaints seem to fall under one of three categories:
- They Changed It Now It Sucks
- This Proves They're Never Going To Make A Wii Zelda
- They're trying to reclaim the joy they got when playing their first Zelda game (usually Ocarina), not realizing that for most of them, it came more from youthful imagination than the game itself.

I for one very much enjoy trains. And furthermore, as I may have mentioned somewhere on here before, I think Wind Waker is the most Zeldaish Zelda game yet (though in the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that Wind Waker was my first one), and don't have a problem with the graphics or the differentness from Ocarina at all.

But then I'm also kind of annoyed at myself for being so annoyed by other people expressing their annoyance. And if I wanted to, I could branch this off into an incoherent ramble about the idea of tolerating intolerance. But I won't.

Those FreeCreditReport.com commercials are annoying me too now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5350 on: March 26, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
What's mostly annoying me now is people complaining about the new Zelda game. All the complaints seem to fall under one of three categories:
- They Changed It Now It Sucks
- This Proves They're Never Going To Make A Wii Zelda
- They're trying to reclaim the joy they got when playing their first Zelda game (usually Ocarina), not realizing that for most of them, it came more from youthful imagination than the game itself.
You're telling me people never said any of that stuff when Phantom Hourglass came out?

Now, you may think I'm going to go off on Spirit Tracks, but no. I have several, non-videogame-related things that have been annoying me far more than that for some time, and I'm going to express myself with...

Non-Videogame Things That Are Annoying ShadowBrain to No End

Part One: 3-D

Three attributes can make a product or service unappealing: Unoriginality, poor quality, and undue hype. I can take, at the most, two of these and still enjoy something, but the recent 3-D craze has completely lost my interest by managing to encapsulate all of the above.

First of all, 3-D is obviously not new. In fact, Bwana Devil, widely considered the first 3-D movie, was released in 1952. Despite the film's terrible reception, a 3-D "boom" in the industry continued until 1954. On and off throughout the last half-century, there's been tons 3-D movies, books, and special issues of magazines, all in varying degrees of quality. Six years ago, Spy Kids 3-D came out and the most news coverage I saw was your standard review in the local paper. I know (hope, rather) no one really thinks 3-D is new, so why, all of a sudden, is changing the red lense on those oh-so-famous glasses to yellow somehow worth Super Bowl halftime ads coming out of my screen, Time, Inc. et al putting 3-D sections in a bunch of their publications like it's the Holiday edition of Nick Magazine, and a dozen CG movies?

Secondly, I'd care about this 3-D thing if it could match the quality of, say, those shows they do at the Disney parks. Now that's three-dimensional entertainment. But what I've been seeing is the textbook definition of meh. When those aforementioned halftime ads were all set to premiere, I initially refused to get sucked into another nation-grabbing gimmick and passed on the paper specs my grandma brought to the party. However, when Monsters Vs. Aliens and Sobe finally showed up, I figured "why not?" and put 'em on. It was just as blurry and unconvincing as I expected, only instead of being shades of red and blue it was shades of yellow and blue, the "3-D" moments looking more like layers of 2-D. In print it's no different. Coraline, when I saw it, impressed me with the higher-quality glasses, but the 3-D was still Paper Mario-esque in its depth.

As for the final point, overhype, that's already been addressed.

In the end, even if all that stuff was "fixed", I'm still not that interested in 3D. Like so many videogame gimmicks I've griped about before, it's often used as a crutch to shirk on plot and all-around substance in movies, and even if the movie's decent, there's still the obligatory things-flying-into-your-face moments that are terribly distracting (that one Fairly Oddparents episode, to reference a somewhat infantile source, hit the nail right on the head). Besides, movies--and Burger King ads--are not an interactive medium. Videogames are, so I have little problem if they're 3-D (though I'd prefer they also be first-person, in that case), but in movies you are not supposed to be anybody. You're an outsider! The audience! Until technology gets to the point where the protagonist of a movie looks like whoever is watching it, leave the screen flat.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5351 on: March 26, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »
Angst: I'm eagerly awaiting the next issues of several comics (including one from Image comics that has an unknown release schedule) and my patience is running thin.
Worse comic-related angst: The comic shop nearest to me is shutting down. Though I don't read comics often, I do play tabletop games, and the nearest game store to me after this happens is an hour away. Also, my dad does read comics, and the nearest comic shop after this one shuts down is an hour away in a different direction.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5352 on: March 26, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
Tell me, are there any advantages to living out in the middle of nowhere?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5353 on: March 26, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
This is also the reason that people have it stuck in their heads that Final Fantasy VII is the best Final Fantasy game. N64 and PSX just happened to come out with very competent games right around then, and it happened to be the time that many people first played video games. They play the two biggest selling games of their era, and they are automatically the best games ever because they were the first serious or well-done games those people chanced to play. It's 90% nostalgia. They're both good games, of course. Just nowhere near the best ever.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5354 on: March 26, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »
Actually, now that I think of it, Ocarina was my first Zelda. Got it on the bonus disc when I preordered Wind Waker. I loved it, but once I got Wind Waker, I never really played it again. Mostly because of the low frame rate and annoying one-heart beep, really. I want to play it again, though.

Of course, if you want to be really strict about it, technically the first Zelda game I played was Link to the Past on a $10-an-hour built-in thing in a hotel, but I don't think that really counts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:59:12 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print