Print

Author Topic: Nintendo thinks their holiday lineup is the best this year  (Read 2357 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=101002

Because apparently all you need for the best holiday lineup is a console rehash of a DS game, an updated version of a game released a year ago, and a portable Zelda sequel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:47:50 PM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:15:56 PM »
Way to grossly misrepresent the content of the article. Not that I think their lineup is their best Wii one or anything (as they claim to).
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
What I will say is that they always speak of their titles as if every game they mention will be a million-seller. The summaries that accompany Virtual Console games similarly strike me as hollow, as they sound like (or might even be) the summaries given on the back of the game box when they were first released. I would have thought by now they'd accompany the summary with a little history, especially if it was a popular game, such as "the leader in first-person shooters for the N64's lifespan and still considered one of the finest FPSs today". You don't need to describe the games as if they were released today. If you say "realistic graphics that makes you feel like you're really there" for a SNES game, people will just laugh at you.
Even though such tactics worked on me as a kid to get me hyped up about a game.

But in any case, the DS games will sell like crazy. I had no idea how popular portable gaming would become. I guess considering how addictive some Flash games are, it's to be expected that small simple games that can fit on a portable system can be just as fun as 40-hour quests (wonder what Cave Story on a portable system would be like. It's only 1MB after all). Maybe they should release those Game & Watch things again. Drives me nuts that the Game & Watch Gallery series never felt the need to represent every G&W game ever released. Maybe they're only releasing the good ones. I might be getting sick of Fire, but it's still one of the best of the series. I still prefer having the modern versions of each rather than classic, though, as I can't stand a slow-paced beeping version of Parachute but gladly spend hours with the modern version.

*looks at page* Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, and Super Mario Bros. Wii. Oh come on, they're going to outsell all the other consoles while blindfolded with both arms behind their back. You just can't beat those first two games for their sudden popularity.

Or maybe you can, for those people that don't think they ever need anything more than the original Wii Sports.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
...well yeah, Wii Fit sells like crazy and the other two are Zelda and Mario. They sell themselves through brand recognition.

It also doesn't help that a number of games from other companies were rescheduled for the post-Christmas season because they stand no chance against this, Modern Warfare 2, and the newest entires for Rock Band/Guitar Hero.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
I could've sworn this was already a thread... well, no, I think I just actually saw this press release a while back.

But, yeah, of course they think it's their best--what are they going to do, fart out a blurb that says "Nintendo Thinks Their Holiday Lineup is Pretty Mediocre"?

Also, I'm tired of "looks good" and "is going to sell a lot" being seemingly interchangeable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print