Print

Author Topic: UK MSN Wants Most Iconic Gaming Character  (Read 9939 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »

UK MSN has a poll going to have readers decide which character in gaming is the most iconic. Sonic, Link, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, and of course Mario are the choices (followed by a cop-out "other"). Let's show our support and help Mario overwhelmingly take the competition! Also, you might enjoy the article written about family gaming.

Link: tech.uk.msn.com
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:27:19 PM by Deezer »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:57:25 PM »
I'm a huge Sonic fan and all...to be honest, I was that one kid that preferred Sonic Adventure 2 to Mario Sunshine. I actually like all the 3D Sonics. But anyone who votes for anyone but Mario on this clearly is biased or not paying attention. What other character:

A: Sells everything with their name attached to it
B: Is known by EVERYONE
and C: Arguably has never had a bad "real" game in the series.

Quality+Impact+Populariity= Icon

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »
Even Mario is Missing wasn't that bad. A change of pace, certainly, but if you can get yourself in the right mindset, it can be enjoyable.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »
I don't think Mario needs our help, honestly. Out of roughly 7353 votes, Mario has 55% right now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:40:47 PM by Suffix »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
No contest. "You there, meathead. Name a video game." "Er, uh... Mario!" "Very good." Everybody knows Mario.

Also, no one has to pretend that Mario has never suffered a single bad game. He's invincible, even Mario and Waluigi: The Eggplants of Mystery couldn't diminish his popularity.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »
Are you sure a "meathead" wouldn't say Halo?

M&W:TEOM sounds like one of those games that comes out in Japan and Europe but not the US.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
No, no. You know I hate console wars. I mean the kind of people who blow all their money on the gas their huge trucks need. I'd expect anyone who plays video games to state their favorite.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:33:04 AM »
Mario wins. Period.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
Mario has been known since the beginning, he will continued to be known until the end.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »
Are you sure a "meathead" wouldn't say Halo?

M&W:TEOM sounds like one of those games that comes out in Japan and Europe but not the US.
To be honest, I think the most common response might be "Guitar Hero" (that's one game I think really has nailed the "gamer divide")
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
Or they might say "that dude that rips the souls out of bad people, the one from the commercial with the black things...", referring to whatever violent first-person shooter was advertised recently on TV. I was thinking of "The Darkness" for XBox 360, but it could just as easily describe anything else.

While there are other characters I like much more, I have to agree Mario's definitely up there for being influential. Trouble is that I look at him now and wonder how someone new to videogames could see his appeal from descriptions alone (other than hearing he's been in multiple critically-acclaimed games). Guess you'd have to play to find out... once you get past the initial kiddy exterior. Most Mario games do appear to be very cheery after all.

I don't know if Pac-Man the character is influential (his later games would suggest no), but I'm so sick to death of Pac-Man that I wouldn't ever mention him in a poll like this. I lived in a time when Super Mario Bros. just came out.
You didn't say wot wot.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:37 PM »
The most iconic gaming character?   When I think 'iconic', I don't think about personal favorites; I think of the amount of impact that the character or series made in a certain industry or genre.  Mario has made a larger impact in the video game industry than any other character.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
Pac-Man, perhaps?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »
Master Chief may be the most popular "new" character, but Mario and Sonic have the greatest legacy. Laura Croft? Blah! Gordon Freeman? He is not an icon since he is not known by everyone. All people, even non-gamers, know who Mario, Link, and Sonic are. They are the true icons.

What about Pikachu? Pokemon should have been listed... it's been popular for over 10 years now!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:17:32 PM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
No, not everyone knows Link. The meatheads I was talking about before think his name is Zelda.

The Pokémon series is undeniably losing popularity... back in the '90s it was a different story, but times change.
It's YOUR problem!

Print