Print

Author Topic: Melee or Brawl  (Read 23976 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »
I agree, and here's why! New Pork City is just messy. The cluttered, almost random assortment of platforms makes little sense, and is more spread out than the slightly smaller and aesthetically pleasing Hyrule Temple. I don't mind the Pink Monster, as any instance where I've been bitten is my own fault (usually trying to get some item).
I would have to agree (oh, and the "Pink Monster" = Ultimate Chimera).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
i like Brawl WAY more than Melee
The Famipro is Here

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
After first playing Brawl, I thought it was terrible.  The chracters' attacks and movements are all slower than in melee, eliminating Mario from my top 5 best characters (surprisingly Luigi is still good).  But the 1P and co-op modes all make up for whatever was lost in Brawls (not to mention sheere selection of characters, stages, and music).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 01:04:54 AM »
I must ask something; in terms of movement, is Brawl more similar to SSB64 or SSBM, and how? Only I'm in a PAL region, and am wondering if it's best to prepare for Brawl by playing Melee or the original.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »
I must ask something; in terms of movement, is Brawl more similar to SSB64 or SSBM, and how? Only I'm in a PAL region, and am wondering if it's best to prepare for Brawl by playing Melee or the original.
Neither of them will effectively prepare you, but I'd say Melee, only because the GCN controller is the best control option in Brawl.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »
When I first played the game, it seemed like there was a little, well, lag and/or slowness when I was playing with the GCN controller. However, I don't really notice it now (maybe because I played as Diddy Kong first and hadn't played Melee in a long time).

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
I say without doubt, Brawl is better. But control, for me, is weird. I started with the classic, which I had noticed things got tougher. I used classic for about have of the SSE. Then I switched to a GC controller. Things did get easier, so I stuck with it for awhile. But then I switched right back to classic, and I think I do better! That, and I like the character noises coming from the Wii remote (I'll miss rumble though.).

The rest of the games is miles ahead of Melee. I don't care if characters are floatier, or slower, The game is completely awesome. I actually couldn't use Luigi in Melee. He's my favorite in Brawl. Next to Sonic, Mario, Snake, R.O.B, and Toon Link.
I really don't care much for logic.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2008, 01:09:47 AM »
Melee has Fourside and Poke Floats, and honestly, that's almost enough to make me prefer it to Brawl. New Pork City is a lousy replacement for Fourside, because you're not fighting on top of buildings, you're fighting on haphazardly scattered generic platforms with an aesthetically upsetting pile of buildings way in the background. And Poke Floats doesn't even have a lousy replacement. Most of the rest of Brawl is really good (though I still say that getting rid of personalized target test stages is a huge step backwards, as is the pruning of any minigames other than targets), but to me, those were probably the biggest oversights. Well, other than the absence of Geno, Krystal, Megaman, Dr. Kawashima, Goroh, Nook, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Isaac from the playable roster. Or the extravagant mediocrity of the SSE. But I love the rest of the game, really. I could never go back to non-illustrated damage meters, segregated special condition fights, and ugly Luigi, even if Melee's announcer is infinitely better than Brawl's. (Seriously, how am I even supposed to play if it's pronounced "Jigglypuff" instead of "Jiggly Puff"? And how are you supposed to read my post without paragraph breaks?)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
Why would Dr. Kawashima be a fighter in Brawl. Please, tell me this.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
Melee has Fourside and Poke Floats, and honestly, that's almost enough to make me prefer it to Brawl. New Pork City is a lousy replacement for Fourside, because you're not fighting on top of buildings, you're fighting on haphazardly scattered generic platforms with an aesthetically upsetting pile of buildings way in the background. And Poke Floats doesn't even have a lousy replacement. Most of the rest of Brawl is really good (though I still say that getting rid of personalized target test stages is a huge step backwards, as is the pruning of any minigames other than targets), but to me, those were probably the biggest oversights. Well, other than the absence of Geno, Krystal, Megaman, Dr. Kawashima, Goroh, Nook, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Isaac from the playable roster. Or the extravagant mediocrity of the SSE. But I love the rest of the game, really. I could never go back to non-illustrated damage meters, segregated special condition fights, and ugly Luigi, even if Melee's announcer is infinitely better than Brawl's. (Seriously, how am I even supposed to play if it's pronounced "Jigglypuff" instead of "Jiggly Puff"? And how are you supposed to read my post without paragraph breaks?)
Is someone bitter?

Honestly, I don't mind Brawl being better/worse than Melee in certain ways because then I have a reason to play both!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
I'm going to assume you are joking, CrossEyed. Tom Nook?  Kawashima? Also, it's one word. Jigglypuff. Jiggly Puff wouldn't even fit as a Pokémon's name, being over ten characters long with the space.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »
Well, other than the absence of Geno, Krystal, Megaman, Dr. Kawashima, Goroh, Nook, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Isaac from the playable roster.

- Nook, + Animal Crosser
No! I don't want that!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
I can't argue with you about Fourside, individual target tests, Mewtwo, and an alternate Doctor outfit for Mario, but Geno?  I don't understand why everyone wants Geno in Smash Bros.  He only played a big role in one game.  Geno is still owned by Square, and there are other third-party characters out there that have been in WAY many more games, like Megaman or Bomberman.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
- Nook, + Animal Crosser

= this

Tanookie Mario for Brawl!
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
I don't understand why everyone wants Geno in Smash Bros.  He only played a big role in one game.  Geno is still owned by Square, and there are other third-party characters out there that have been in WAY many more games, like Megaman or Bomberman.
...Because what we all need is two more characters who have already been whored out a billion times in other games (I know Mario falls under this catagory also, but he's the mascot for Nintendo, so what are you going to do?). Less is more--I figured we would've all learned that when Lucario and Pit showed up in Brawl.

Print