Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 369053 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
Not only is that map old, its a map of Goldenrod from HG/SS...

And yes, please do away with contests unless you FIX THEIR PROBLEMS!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Oh please God no.  No more contests.

Amen. Nearly everything added to the series since Generation III was needless frivolity. Is a back-to-basics adventure really too much to ask for, Game Freak?

Not only is that map old, its a map of Goldenrod from HG/SS...

What? Under the assumption that everyone could recall the Goldenrod of olde, I posted its HG/SS incarnation for comparative purposes.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
It looks very much like Goldenrod City as it is.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
Oh please God no.  No more contests.

It's an optional sidequest cockmunch. You don't have to enter them if you don't want too.

Besides, I know that's not a contest. It's the new Triatholon event I believe.

Nearly everything added to the series since Generation III was needless frivolity

Because nature's, battle frontiers, an extra rival, VS seeker and the WiFi center are more useless than bug catching contests and brushing a Pokemon's coat right?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »
Only 4 more days.  I've got my copy all lined up to be picked up from Gamestop on the 14th.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
Turtlekid shall henceforth be known as Cockmunch.

Wiggz, note how I said, "Nearly everything". The Battle Tower's spinoffs were largely unnecessary, contests are a dorky requirement for getting a perfect Trainer Card which belong, if anywhere, in a dorky side-series like Mystery Dungeon, and having a second rival is just about the epitomy of frivolity. But you have me on the VS Seeker, WiFi, and double battles.

bug catching contests and brushing a Pokemon's coat

...Not to mention breeding, time, held items, the Battle Tower, and, sadly, version-exclusive legendaries.

« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
The Battle Tower's spinoffs were largely unnecessary

the Battle Tower

That argument makes no sense. What does the Battle Tower offer that the other ones don't? You get more out of fighting a Frontier Brain than going through a round of opponents in the Battle Tower.

contests are a dorky requirement for getting a perfect Trainer Card which belong, if anywhere, in a dorky side-series like Mystery Dungeon

Again, it's not a requirement. just like completing a Pokedex isn't required (by completion, I mean capturing every single Pokemon, since you are required to see a certain number of them to unlock certain Pokemon, areas or the ability to trade).

and double battles.

Double battles are awesome. Your opinion on that is invalid.

version-exclusive legendaries.

You act like Red and Blue didn't have version exclusive Pokemon. Much as a lot of you refuse to believe, trading is a large part of the series and a staple that will never go away. Furthermore, there's no excuse for not wanting to trade at this point in the 4th gen. Practically all Pokemon are available in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and the WFC makes it possible to find just about anything you need, although it could use some fine-tuning to prevent sharked Pokemon and impossible deals.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2010, 04:28:08 AM »
And Weegee, Contests have no place whatsoever in a Roguelike. You're retarded or haven't actually played the Mystery Dungeon games if you think they do.

Actually, given your dismissal of those particular spin-offs as "dorky" and your inability to put your socks on by yourself, it's probably both.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
The Mystery Dungeon games are certainly not "dorky."  However, I find myself agreeing with Weegee about the contests; you see Wiggles, there are strange creatures in this world known as perfectionists.  Unless absolutely impossible, they go the extra mile to 100% and game they play.  And something hard, like getting 100 straight wins in the Battle Tower, or just stupid, like winning a Master Rank contest, is not at all enjoyable.  Yet the nature of these creatures compels them to do these hard and stupid things anyway.  And when they're a lot harder and/or more stupid than originally anticipated, thus delaying 100% completion, it really ****es us off.

You act like Red and Blue didn't have version exclusive Pokemon. Much as a lot of you refuse to believe, trading is a large part of the series and a staple that will never go away. Furthermore, there's no excuse for not wanting to trade at this point in the 4th gen. Practically all Pokemon are available in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and the WFC makes it possible to find just about anything you need, although it could use some fine-tuning to prevent sharked Pokemon and impossible deals.

The problem with Wi-Fi trading is that it only allows you to trade for Pokemon you've already seen, which rather defeats the purpose of using the service for Pokedex purposes.  Also, trading was a lot less asinine when every single 'mon could be found in one version or the other; but now, after four generations, we've got migration and event-only legendaries that make it a daunting task to fill the Pokedex.

Also, the Battle Frontier cheats.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
Oh dear.. all the money I've been saving for MegaCon this weekend and the games get released early next week? Rats...
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »
I myself have already put HG/SS on indefinite hold in favor of SMG2 and Other M.  Even then, I'm going to have to choose between those two.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
Turtlekid, I probably don't have to tell you this because you're not allowed to play M-rated games, but if you think Pokémon cheats, never play a Megami Tensei game. It'll only end in tears.

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
there are strange creatures in this world known as perfectionists.  Unless absolutely impossible, they go the extra mile to 100% and game they play.  And something hard, like getting 100 straight wins in the Battle Tower, or just stupid, like winning a Master Rank contest, is not at all enjoyable.  Yet the nature of these creatures compels them to do these hard and stupid things anyway.  And when they're a lot harder and/or more stupid than originally anticipated, thus delaying 100% completion, it really ****es us off.

So what you're saying is you put yourself through these things because you feel like completing every little task in the game despite no reward and no one requiring you to do so.

Think about that for a second. You're complaining over a problem you set up yourself because you decided to do everything available. You have no excuse to complain when the task is neither a requirement to progress in the game nor affects anything in the main quest.

The problem with Wi-Fi trading is that it only allows you to trade for Pokemon you've already seen, which rather defeats the purpose of using the service for Pokedex purposes.  Also, trading was a lot less asinine when every single 'mon could be found in one version or the other; but now, after four generations, we've got migration and event-only legendaries that make it a daunting task to fill the Pokedex.

If you don't feel like using the WiFi center, then go to Serebii, Bulbagarden, Pokecommunity, Smogon, Pokeani or any other video game site and find someone who can offer you what you want. This isn't that difficult if you're willing to do a little work for it. Honestly, this isn't like the old days where you had to go to a specific event to get Mew or Celebi, you can always find someone who has something you want, even if they're not from the same region as you.

At this point, it sounds like you expect the games to hand you everything on a silver platter.

« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
At this point, it sounds like you expect the games to hand you everything on a silver platter.

Look at that. A pun! :D

I sort of like the
Nearly everything added to the series since Generation III was needless frivolity.

I haven't played a main game since the first generation, but I will say that, upon playing Diamond/Pearl, I rather enjoyed all the things there were to do after the main quest was over (Battle Tower, contests, the underground, and such). It gave the game more replay value imo.

And now a question: Will the Pokewalker come in every game case, or just in the first release batch?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:08:43 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »
Again, it's not a requirement. just like completing a Pokedex isn't required (by completion, I mean capturing every single Pokemon, since you are required to see a certain number of them to unlock certain Pokemon, areas or the ability to trade).

Doing so changes the colour of your Trainer Card, and thus is a requirement for a complete game. I'm nitpicking, but it's the truth.

Double battles are awesome.

I agree almost wholeheartedly, hence the strikeout.

I've browsed the GTS on numerous occasions, and I've yet to find a single event-only Legendary eligible to be traded for a non-event Legendary. Besides, the fact that you can only request Pokemon you've seen renders the whole system practically useless. In short: unless you're extraordinarily lucky, good luck on getting a Celebi without the employment of ethically-dubious means.

Print