Print

Author Topic: Luigi's Mansion 2  (Read 28058 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
On the title art, did anyone else notice King Boo's creepy purple and black eyes? I haven't seen those eyes on him anywhere else.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
I know it's now August but...I just saw this thread. I'm intrigued!! VERY intrigued, I wanna play it! I didn't do great on the first one, but as my cousin assured, I'll have improved over time, surely. :D Sounds crazy, I can't wait!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
[darn] really looking forward to play this. I loved playing Luigi Mansion on the Gamecube can't wait to play a sequel.
Has anyone seen my wallet? >.<

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »
I'm more skeptical of this now than I was when it was announced. When I think about it, I loved Luigi's Mansion because it was something completely fresh and new at the time, it was highly atmospheric and immersive (and, while keeping a classic Mario sense of humor, could actually be rather creepy), and it was short, sweet, and elegant. Dark Moon is a sequel, which right away is going to make it less fresh; it looks like it's going to be tilting more toward funny than scary (though that could just be the way they're portraying it for E3); it's going to be less immersive simply by virtue of being on a handheld rather than a console (less comfortable controller, lower resolution, smaller screen, have to worry about the battery running out, etc.); and most of all, because it's a sequel and because they've gotta do something new (or "new") and add content (or "content"), it's looking much more videogamey.

• Shining a light on the ghosts is no longer enough to stun them into immobility. Players
need to activate a strobe function and release it to stun the ghosts before sucking them
up with the Poltergust.
• Different types of ghosts haunt the different mansions. Luigi must figure out how to defeat
each one of them and find hidden secrets to unlock new areas and treasure chests.
These new elements add more variety and introduce new puzzle-solving mechanics.
• Players can use the Poltergust to help Luigi remove wallpaper to reveal hidden areas,
clean up piles of treasure-hiding leaves or suck up stacks of coins and bills. But in reality,
the nervous and reluctant Luigi just wants to get as far away from these ghosts as
possible.
(from this press release)

Luigi's Mansion was a short game. So short that, if it were released today for $40, some people would complain. "Puzzle-solving mechanics", especially in recent Nintendo flagship titles, tends to be code for "filler." Think modern Zelda games. And those bullet points up there positively scream "generic videogamey filler BS."

They mentioned in the conference that there's going to be a flashlight upgrade that gives it a rainbow beam. Why are there flashlight upgrades? So they can have ghosts that arbitrarily only respond to a Lvl. 2 Flashlight.

Admittedly, if you're making a sequel to Luigi's Mansion -- especially on a handheld -- you pretty much have to go in the direction of "Like Luigi's Mansion, only moreso." But that's really just an argument for not making a sequel in the first place, letting the original stand on its own, and doing something else new and creative and completely different again.

Luigi's Mansion isn't Age of Empires or Gears of War or some other type of game where you can make a sequel where you just do all the same things again but better, plus more things, plus lots and lots of things. It's not the kind of game to have an Endless Mode. This is why so many people hated Metroid Prime 2 -- it was a sequelly sequel that took an elegantly-crafted experience and turned it into a video game with arbitrary locks and keys everywhere to make it feel more like a video game. Making Luigi's Mansion 2 feels like if Jason Rohrer had made Passage 2: Now with optional polygamy! Now with the ability to go left! Now with weekly DLC outfits for your character! Now with unlockable radar to help find the treasures! Now with colored keys and doors -- solve the puzzle by matching the colors!

Some of the new elements of Dark Moon would have been good as a second quest-type thing for the original game, but I'm not convinced this can work as a standalone game eleven years after the fact. Why not make it a second quest, actually? Why not an HD remake of the original game for Wii U, playable with the Pro Controller, or with the uPad as the Game Boy Horror, and then add some new features for a New Game Plus mode (and also add analog triggers to the Wii U for crying out loud)? Why is this even a handheld game at all? I mean, making Paper Mario handheld, okay, that's understandable, you want to show off the 3DS's better graphics and the 3D effects and all, but Luigi's Mansion of all things? That is not a handheld game.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
Nintendo originally wanted Luigi's Mansion to be in 3D, but later scrapped the idea. That could be a legit reason why they wanted Dark Moon to be on the 3DS.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
I want to love this game, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the original.

It seems to lack the darkness and eeriness of the first; everything seems too vivid for me.

Not really a fan of the new ghosts either. They appear to be too cartoony.

Music's not as great.

Altogether, I think I miss the "realism" of the first.

Although that may be just the nostalgic side of me talking.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
Maybe you people will be less pessimistic if I phrase it this way:

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, from the developers of Punch-Out!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
But no one even bothered with Punch-Out!!

I had to enjoy it enough to make up for everyone else
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I enjoyed it too. :(

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
Really, I think that Luigi's Mansion 2 is the perfect canidate for a download-only game. $15 for a unique three or four hour experience with some replay value? That's reasonable. If it were for the Wii-U it could even be a digital launch title showcasing the Wii-U's online store. I'm really hesitant to pay full price for another Luigi's Mansion title; I remember how much I was burnt by the original. It was a lovely experience -- but a costly one.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »
[Post]
This... sounds like something a more level-headed version of me would say.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »
I guess my favorite part of the original Luigi's Mansion was the mansion itself. It's sheer magnitude was pretty astounding back in the day. Now that I look at it, I imagine all the hours of modeling and texture mapping it must have taken to construct the thing, let alone laying out the floor plan.

I wonder if they would release LM2 for the Wii-U as well. They'd have the opportunity to bring back some of the mood of the old game, and they'd have a larger database to cram in extra bits like hi-poly models (not saying that would be a wise choice on their part, seeing as how you'd have to remodel virtually everything. It would definitely be cool though).
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »
I half-hope for a DS/3DS Player for Wii U to be done.

Though scaling up a DS/3DS game's screen to a 50" screen would be hella ugly... if Wii games won't even be playable on the Wii U in anything higher than 480i, I should stop hoping for a DS Player right there. Maybe homebrew...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
[post]

While this is true, I believe we should give the game the benefit of the doubt. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is currently in a similar position to what Pikmin 2 was facing while in development. Pikmin is a short and atmospheric game that loses something by adding more video-gamey elements and a longer game, which Pikmin 2 did. And certainly it is a different game despite having the same basic gameplay. However, it managed to stand out in its own regard, and many consider it to be the superior game.

That being said, to my knowledge the same team did both Pikmin games, while this is being done by a different studio. However this game does have the potential to be its own game that is good in its own right.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
I agree with Lizard Dude. Punch-Out!!! was a great game with lots of character, and each opponent had a distinct personality. It's definately a good idea to have them do Dark Moon. Although it has more of a mission base structure, it will still be just as fun.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Print