Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi 3 is officially the highest rated handheld game ever made.  (Read 18861 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »
With the exception of dog excrement I agree with Weegee.  I think I need to play SS again to make sure my nostalgia glasses aren't clouding my vision. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
...the generic and generically named Blubble Lake and Dimble Wood come to mind. Also, what is up with Plack Beach? Since when has poor dental health had anything to do with Mario?
Yeah, adding random decaying teeth to a generic beach doesn't make it not generic, it just makes it weird on top of generic. Aside from the rotting teeth, though, I think Plack Beach is a pretty good area. I like the music both outside and the version inside Bowser.

Despite their genericness, I like a lot of the game's areas. Dimble Wood is pretty huge, and it's fun to explore with Mario and Luigi once you're outside Bowser. I'd say my favorite area in the game so far (I'm just short of collecting the third you-know-what-if-you've-gotten-there in Plack Beach) is Cavi Cape; there's just something about the general environment that I like, and the music is incredible. I actually thought the areas might be based on body parts for a little after seeing Plack Beach, just to go further along with the inside Bower theme, since "Cavi" sounds like "Cavity", but none of the other areas have that kind of theme.

Speaking of exploring, I spent the majority of my spare time yesterday exploring the map with Mario and Luigi. It was pretty incredible and really gave me a Superstar Saga vibe.

...And of dog excrement, since Weegee says that PiT deserves a 6.5 to 7 score, I guess dog excrement would be an 8 or something? XP
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »
I imagine the reviewers thought the game was awesome for the same reasons "regular gamers" thought it was awesome and that's why it scored high. Not because Nintendo fans, or Mario fans, or whoever fans reviewed it and skewed their rating in favor of their personal tastes, but because the game features such a good execution of what makes a good game a good game. No biased or skewed opinions, or reviewers saying "OMFG I LOVE MEHR-EE-OH AND RPGS SO JUST FOR THAT FACT IM GIVIN THIS GAME AN ELEVEN!!!!!"

The score it has received all around is truly the score it deserves, all BS and bias aside. Maybe that's why Forest Guy is basing it off the reviews.
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
But you can't say anything about "the score it has received all around." 83 will never equal 100 no matter how hard you try to make it so. Why are you trying to back up Meowrik thinking invoking review scores to back up his opinion was a good idea?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »
I actually thought the areas might be based on body parts for a little after seeing Plack Beach, just to go further along with the inside Bower theme, since "Cavi" sounds like "Cavity", but none of the other areas have that kind of theme.
Yeah, my brother was speculating about the same thing. It would make sense, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, yes, I did kind of like Cavi Cape as well.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
The more I play it, the more apparent the game's apalling lack of musical variety becomes. In particular, the lone cave/castle/underground passageway theme becomes pretty tiresome after a point. And not only does Peach's Castle sound exactly the same as it did in PiT, but the layout is uncannily similar to boot. While that may be for the sake of continuity, the designers could've been somewhat more creative.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »
But you can't say anything about "the score it has received all around." 83 will never equal 100 no matter how hard you try to make it so. Why are you trying to back up Meowrik thinking invoking review scores to back up his opinion was a good idea?

I never said good game = 100/100

Also, I'm "backing up" Forest Guy because every single post he's made...... it's like you're just waiting for him to post so you can try your [darn]edest to tell him how wrong he is. I believe that the debate over the "rights and wrongs" of basing opinions on reviews should be done with. Nobody wins.

Let's leave it at: He likes M&L3, I like M&L3, a lot of other people like M&L3, and you'll like M&L3 once you come around to it regardless of what any reviewer has to say.
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »
And now you're trying to tell me that based solely on the fact that everyone else likes a game I'll like it too. I can't decide whether or not peer pressure is more or less unethical than making up data, but it's close either way.

I don't care about whether or not the game is good. AlphaDream makes some pretty good games and M&L3 is using a tried-and-true formula, so there wasn't really anything to worry about. I'm just opposed to people not checking facts ("it was like that when I checked a few days earlier" is not a good foundation for a thread) and a few other things I've already expounded upon in other posts in this thread.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »
And not only does Peach's Castle sound exactly the same as it did in PiT, but the layout is uncannily similar to boot. While that may be for the sake of continuity, the designers could've been somewhat more creative.
I can't recall the PiT music, but neither the laout nor the tune there seemed all that similar to me in BiS. Still, it's funny you should mention continuity, because one of the things in the games that irked me was the pretty generous disregard for the Mushroom Kingdom's geography. What I mean is, let's look at all the Mario games that have taken place in the Mushroom Kingdom with an honest-to-goodness "map":

--SMRPG
--Paper Mario
--PiT
--BiS

All RPGs, of course, and all with fairly different overworld layouts. Why it bugged me most in BiS, I'm actually not sure, but I think part of it has to do with--as I kind of mentioned earlier--the curiously un-Mario names of areas. Would I have cared less if Blubble Lake was "Blooper Lake", and so on? Who knows, but I think another factor is that the last Mario RPG took place in the same world, but with pretty different layout.

Of course, if I may dip into Mariology a bit, the difference could be attributed to the questionable canonicity of SMRPG, the "storybook" that is Paper Mario, and that the "present" in PiT is probably actually different from the past, but they kept to the same so as to not tantalize. And even in BiS, maybe all that ocean is really just the equivalent of clouds covering the rest of the Kingdom. That, and since Toad Town/the castle (which are a fixture in most all Mario RPGs, of course) are in the top-left of the map, as opposed to the lower middle as usual, maybe the rest of the Kingdom is to the north.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »
Questionable canonicity?
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
I would just like to say that my best post of yesterday was posted here and it got deleted overnight.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
Multiple SMRPG locations are visited in Tracey West's masterpiece Mario and the Incredible Rescue, penned in 2006. If there is a Mario canon, SMRPG is definitely in it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
What I'm wondering is where exactly Bowser's Castle is in relation to Toad Town and the Mushroom Kingdom. Is it on the island of Dark Land as displayed in the SMA4 map? Is it closer to Peach's castle like in RPG and Bowser's Inside Story and the one in Dark Land is just a "main base" of some kind he doesn't spend very much time at? The first part of BIS was basically Bowser trying to get to his castle from Cavi Cape, so Cavi Cape, Plack Beach, Dimble Wood, Bumpsy Plains, and Blubble Lake must all be nearby.

Incidentally, while I can't say I'm fond of the aforementioned un-Mario areas in BIS, they do hold a particular liking for me. I just like looking at the different styles of all the new areas they come up with in each new game.

About the Partners in Time locations, the PiT map is really cramped with the images of the locations taking up the majority of the space, so I think it's safe to assume that's not an actual map of the kingdom as it is, just a general indicator of the directions the areas are in. Mario and Luigi are just warped to them through time holes, anyway.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
And now you're trying to tell me that based solely on the fact that everyone else likes a game I'll like it too. I can't decide whether or not peer pressure is more or less unethical than making up data, but it's close either way.

I don't care about whether or not the game is good. AlphaDream makes some pretty good games and M&L3 is using a tried-and-true formula, so there wasn't really anything to worry about. I'm just opposed to people not checking facts ("it was like that when I checked a few days earlier" is not a good foundation for a thread) and a few other things I've already expounded upon in other posts in this thread.
Please, tell me where exactly did I tell you to buy this game because it has high reviews. Go on. Show me. Because if that's the case, you win.

WarpRattler, first off, the original purpose of this topic had nothing to do with whether or not review scores factored into whether a game is good or not and whether to buy it. YOU my good sir were the one who started that argument, and with nobody I might add, since nobody was talking about it prior to that. The only reason I started trying to debate that was because you were making it sound as if Mario & Luigi 3 is a bad game, which it most certainly is not.

Now I already acknowledged I made a mistake when posting, and should've checked my sources further before commenting on it in my original post, so why are you still bickering with people? The only reason I commented on the 'highest' score it had gotten on some sites, was simply because I was acknowledging that I thought it was impressive. What am I not allowed to be impressed? I never said everyone should buy it, I never said it's automatically good and everyone will like it because it has good reviews, I was simply commenting on how I thought it was very deserving of its praise.

There was absolutely no reason for you to come in here and invent a conflict simply because you disagreed with something I never implied, just as an excuse to be elitist. It's counterproductive and accomplishes nothing. If you want to debate the validity of reviews, make your own topic, because as it is, you're doing more harm here by preaching your arbitrary gospel. Because if you read what I originally said, I stated REGARDLESS of the review scores, I bought it and decided it was a fantastic game, and wanted to discuss that. I purposely put that in because I had a feeling this argument would rise up and cause a [dukar] storm, when all I wanted to do was talk about the game's quality. I never once suggested that the reviews were the "foundation" of my thread. You told yourself, me, and everyone else that it was.  And you used the fact I made a mistake on something that doesn't actually pertain to the original topic in here, as a means for you to come in and try to be some sort of divine conqueror of falseness, and all for some misguided sense of self-righteousness.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:38:46 PM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Forest Guy, you wouldn't be vainly defending yourself right now if your topic post had asked what we thought of BiS being the highest rated handheld game instead of bluntly stating,
Let us discuss how amazing the game is.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print