Love It
2 (22.2%)
Hate It
1 (11.1%)
Haven't Played It
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Print

Author Topic: Scribblenauts  (Read 5061 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:45:24 PM »
I bought this game since I bought into the hype like everyone else, only to find it to be one of the most disappointing experiences of my entire life. I haven't played such a glitchy, broken game since I was like 8 years old and bought Babe: Pig in the City for Game Boy Color. I know the population is more or less split down the middle right now, most people either hate it or love it. I hate it and want to get rid of it as quickly as I am physically capable of doing. Where do you fall?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
I enjoyed what I played of it, but yeah, the controls are horrible. It's also the kind of game that would work far better on Wii, or even better, on PC, but I don't think Fifth Cell knows how to develop on anything except DS (and not even very well there - I don't know why Drawn to Life was so popular).

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
Copy/Paste:
Scribblenauts is a cool concept, but the controls leave a lot to be desired.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
The concept is obviously appealing, but I've heard enough mixed reviews that I'm glad I didn't buy it--yet.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
I enjoyed what I played of it, but yeah, the controls are horrible. It's also the kind of game that would work far better on Wii, or even better, on PC, but I don't think Fifth Cell knows how to develop on anything except DS (and not even very well there - I don't know why Drawn to Life was so popular).
What's wrong with the controls? I think if they used the D-pad it would have made it complicated to control the overall game, though the touch screen is kind of wonky, too.
My only real complaints with the game are that there are tons of death-causing-glitches and the physics aren't very good.

I think 5th Cell is a really creative bunch and should keep making games.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »
The touch screen is incredibly wonky, which makes playing the game a more difficult prospect than it should be.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »
I really can't fathom anyone absolutely hating this game. I can understand if it begins to bore you eventually, though.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 08:04:27 AM »
There's so much stuff you can do that it's hard for it to become boring. It's just that the touch controls are really, really bad.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
Bad controls are like smearing poop all over a perfectly good Granny Smith. I've never played this game but I can feel Warp's pain.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
I still want this game really hard. Generally, the more original a game is, the less serious I'm willing to be about issues that normally ruin other games for me. Having mediocre controls in an FPS is an inexcusable sin for me, but having ****-poor controls in a bring-objects-into-being-by-writing-them-down game is much more forgivable. Pretty much the only exception to this rule of mine is camera control.
every

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
Yeah, Warp is right. The touch screen controls kill it. That and the physics engine. See, my biggest qualm with the game is that the entire game's concept is for you to be creative. But the controls absolutely prevent any creativity from taking place in the actual puzzles. A good example would be this:

There's one stage where you essentially just have to run down a big hill and get to the end of the stage, so in other words the average person is gonna go "Okay! Time to make a vehicle!" Well, me being creative, I spawned a sled, used some ropes to attach it to a dinosaur, then attached a piece of meat to a fishing pole and made it so the dinosaur would pull me. Well after a few seconds my plow started sinking into the ground, until finally it went all the way through and killed me. I was annoyed but figured it was a fluke. I tried it again but with a triceratops since I thought i might've been going too fast. It happened again. So the third time I was tired of wasting time by spawning things and, you know, trying to have fun, and instead I just spawned a motorcycle and beat the level with that.

Also going back to the physics problem I mentioned. There's a level where you have the star frozen in some ice above lava, and a tripwire in front of it. So I attached the ice block to an ankylosaur. I tripped the tripwire, the ice block pulled the ankylosaur back and everything fell in the lava, game over. Repeat with an elephant. Same result. Repeat with a bus/ Same result. So I go onto Gamefaqs to see how to do it, what was the solution? Attach the rope to an eagle and have it fly towards some food, and that worked. Okay, so an eagle flying is more powerful than a dinosaur/bus? I don't know, it's just insanely frustrating...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
The physics in this game I think are based on basic force (push and pull) and size, not so much weight.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
A physics game that doesn't care about weight, sweet.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 09:37:15 PM »
For the record, I found it easier to kill a bee by dropping a boulder on it instead of an anvil.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
A physics game that doesn't care about weight, sweet.
inorite

Print