Print

Author Topic: Sometimes Nintendo makes no sense...  (Read 14453 times)

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
But apparently your rampant fanboyism prevents you from detaching yourself from a debate you're capable of winning.

So you're admitting he's right?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendo considers themself much more of a money-making company than a family company. I haven't seen anyone else come up with these harebrained ideas about why they're doing this wrong.
I did have to do some repair on my DS once, but seriously, explain to me why my Launch Day original DS is sitting on my shelf and still in working order if it's so easy to lose and/or break.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »
Because you're a responsible 20-something who takes care of their games.

And MrWiggles, I'm admitting that I don't know anything about the inner workings of the DSi firmware, not that Nintendo doesn't make stupid decisions.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
So wait, you freely admit to being irresponsible and not taking care of stuff?
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
The world is nothing but a business. Once you get to be old and almost done with five years of college like me you'll come to realize that.

Nintendo is a money-making business that caters to families, much like Walt Disney or Hasbro. Instead of making movies/amusement parks or toys, they make video games. They want to make sure their product and customer service is tops for the same reason Honda always tries to beat Toyota--so that people will buy their products and keep coming back to them. They also want to go towards specific demographics that others do not. In Nintendo's case, this is easy--the Wii and DS have been selling even to non-traditional video game players thanks to the fitness/sports games and brain games, respectively. Wiis are popping up at nursing homes, are recommended by doctors, and have helped Nintendo sell more systems than they had during the past few generations. Likewise, the DS can be found in the hands of an eight year old just as frequently as it can be spotted in the possession of a 45 year old using it for sudoko (or even MarioKart--both of my parents and my uncle are approaching 60 and all of them play MarioKart and occasionally will beat their son/nephew).

With that in mind, let's talk about the games and the DRM contained within. About ten years ago people started sharing files online. Music was the biggest problem but other folks started sharing Nintendo ROMs. The problem with both is that they are copyrighted (well, most of them--there are always non-commercial/public domain files out there, but we'll ignore them for now). Apple stepped in to make the legal purchase of digital music possible when iTunes was launched six years ago. Software had been sold online since at least 1995 (one of the pioneers was a tiny company that sold Mac clip art, in fact; I bought a package of clip art from them many years ago). Nintendo realized that they had the same problem as the music industry, except the content in question was old games that hadn't been on store shelves in years. They tried re-releasing them on other systems, but some purists felt they were not true to form (i.e. the added voices in the Super Mario Advance line for GBA seemed to make some upset; I personally like the voices).

This is an area where Nintendo really catered to its customers--it made the old games available for purchase. Suddenly, the folks whose NES no longer worked could play SMB3 again for the low cost of $5 (which is actually half of what SMB3 was going for at The Exchange last week). Old games could now be played on modern hardware that was still under warranty. In fact, a "classic controller" was even released to accommodate some titles (namely SNES games). Nintendo also released Sega games, killing two birds with one stone in the process.

Just as Apple's iTunes had come up with a legal way to buy MP3s, Nintendo suddenly offered a way to get old games legally (and even supplied the emulators right inside the Wii). DRM was installed for one reason--to prevent piracy.

Piracy leads to lost sales. If everyone was pirating Wii VC games, what do you think the odds would be that Nintendo would develop more games for VC? The chances would go down because nobody would be buying anything. DRM was necessary and proper and still is despite what music companies have done (I actually get a feeling we'll be going back to DRM files within three years if the sales start to slip).

Sure, DRM has its problems, which are well-documented online, but every system has its problems. I'm a supporter of DRM because I am an aspiring writer and realize that there may be online textbooks in the future. (I hope to write mathematics textbooks specifically for gifted elementary students). If we can't control piracy, the economy will tank!!!

I've done extensive research on copyright laws due to my aspirations of publishing my works someday so if you have any questions let me know and I can see if I've got an answer.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
I urge you to look up Gabe Newell's thoughts on piracy, DRM, and company transparency.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Oddly enough, piracy actually leads to more sales in some cases - oftentimes, people will try things, like a few tracks from an album or, if a game doesn't have a demo (DS games being a big thing here), the whole game, give the content in their illegal download a try, and see if it's worth buying before actually buying it.

If your DRM is restrictive to the point of ruining the user's experience, it'll likely increase piracy rather than curbing it. SecuROM is a good example. This is typically more true of PC software, where DRM is most likely to have adverse affects on paying users and therefore lead to more copies with the DRM patched out being downloaded; if Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story had included more restrictive copy-protection (it performs a check at the file creation screen and another at the first boss fight, which is more than most DS games), it likely would have caused pirates to give up on trying to patch the copy-protection out.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »
So wait, you freely admit to being irresponsible and not taking care of stuff?

No, I actually want a new DSi since mine randomly had a broken pixel pop up months after getting it at launch. Neither Gamestop nor Nintendo would cover it since it's so far after the fact. Nintendo said they'd take it in for repair, but that would cost almost as much money as a new one, and it'd be out for like three weeks.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Your DSi has one dead pixel and you want to use that as an excuse to get a new system.

My old DS Lite had at least a dozen dead pixels and a broken hinge, and I didn't replace it until I botched a repair job and it actually stopped being usable as anything but a paperweight.

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
Suddenly, still using an original DS seems like quite an accomplishment for me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
Your DSi has one dead pixel and you want to use that as an excuse to get a new system.

My old DS Lite had at least a dozen dead pixels and a broken hinge, and I didn't replace it until I botched a repair job and it actually stopped being usable as anything but a paperweight.

See, exactly. This is the exact reason Nintendo can get away with being inferior to its competitors. Because people like you look past its problems, simply because it's Nintendo, passing it off as "oh its not a big deal, stop complaining". Well it is a big deal. When I shell out over $150 for a friggin system, I expect it to come without flaws. Just  Whether I have a DSi with one dead pixel or a hundred of them doesn't matter. When you're selling something, the product should typically, you know, work.

So your DSi was a piece of [dukar] and you were too poor/lazy to get a new one. You want a medal for it? Your DS had many problems and you were content playing a broken system, and you're going to use that as an excuse for Nintendo to make inferior products?

Think about what you're saying.
'Your DSi which you paid money for has a flaw, and you are bothered that it will cost money to have repaired, and are using that as an excuse  use your own money to simply buy a new one which would be more convenient than having it repaired?'

Face it. Your argument is essentially "Nintendo has many problems, but we shouldn't speak up about it, and try to ignore them as best as we can."
= = = = = = =

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
Meowrik, you seriously need to chill. It's just a toy after all...

Also, Warp's argument isn't that Nintendo can get away with shoddy products because of blind fanboys like us. He's saying your reasons for replacing/rebuying a system are quite shallow in light of what you were originally arguing. Name one electronic these days that doesn't have even a minor flaw that can't be ignored.

Releasing half-assed products isn't acceptable, but to expect every one of them to be perfect when they're mass market merchandise designed to sell isn't exactly realistic either.

As for his DS, he clearly felt no need to replace it when it still accomplished what it needed to do. Would you replace a new car if it had only a scratch and a stain from bird poop? How about renting a new apartment because your old one had peeling paint?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:59 PM »
By the way, Meowrik:
Quote from: Wikipedia's page on defective pixels
In LCD manufacture, it is common for a display to be manufactured that has a number of sub-pixel defects (each pixel is composed of three primary-colored sub-pixels).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »
If you expect it to have no flaws, you quite simply know absolutely nothing of portable electronics. PSPs have had a far far worse track record regarding dead pixels, and they have been known to cost more than DSes. Furthermore you don't know anything about LCD screen production yields and the fact that tons of small screens are likely to have dead/stuck pixels. Yes, it'd be nice if things were manufactured 100% perfectly, but that doesn't happen. For anything. So good luck on starting your company where you pay 10x more to make things than you sell them for because you test every system for a few months to make sure it doesn't have dead pixels and when you find a screen that does, you have to destroy it.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Eh, too lazy to post a response now, and forgot how to delete posts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:34:22 AM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

Print