Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 78037 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5846841/gamers-opt-out-rescues-us-from-sony-and-eas-lawsuit-prevention-clauses

Thought I'd leave this here. Apparently it is legal, and apparently EA is doing it too, so if anyone is picking up, say, Battlefield 3...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
It's Vita rather than PS3, but since this seems to be the "LOL SONY" thread now: Sony announced their plans for dealing with the UMD issue.

In short: you can rebuy UMD games you already own, at a discount. Never mind those of us who own import titles that aren't on the US PSN (and there are quite a few DJ Max Portable owners out there aside from myself, to say nothing of the Monster Hunter fans), or the fact that there's no actual way to track ownership of UMDs.

LOL
SONY

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Here's a status update on everything I said in my initial post, a bit under two years later:

FPS: I've got a few first-person shooters for 360 now, though one of them is console-exclusive and another was bought because my PC version is currently unplayable. I still massively prefer keyboard-and-mouse, and wish 360 games supported that control scheme, but I understand why they don't.

JRPGs: I own most of the English-release JRPGs on 360. I haven't played much of any of them.

Fighters: I own several fighting games for 360 (I just had one come out today, in fact). I use a fightpad right now, and I'm getting a fightstick once I've got the money for it.

Ports: Shoddy ports are still an issue, except...the problem version generally ends up being for PC. For a while the big thing was PC versions that were obviously ported from 360 partway through development (with prompts for 360 buttons and similar appearing in documentation and often even in-game), but now the issue is that PC versions will look massively superior to the console versions, but have massive technical issues like not working on one of the major video card brands or not taking advantage of more than 2GB of RAM.

Exclusives: Exclusive content (and exclusivity in general) is still a dumb problem that no one wants to solve despite it being a great way to cut your sales in half.

DLC: It's mostly just music games with the exorbitant post-release costs, though games like Call of Duty ($60 worth of map packs per game) and Capcom fighters (on-disc costumes that cost money to unlock) are really bad about it as well. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is also a major offender here, as it would cost almost as much as a new retail game to buy that and all its DLC at full price.

Zombies: Onechanbara, Dead Rising, and Dark Souls say hello.

Music games: I own Guitar Hero II (my PS2 copy died), Rock Band, Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3, The Beatles: Rock Band, both DJ Hero games, and Boom Boom Rocket. My love for music games never waned, and having a system that allows for DLC (and being able to find a Rock Band instrument set sans keyboard for $60) rekindled my interest in some of the newer western games; I just have way too many other games to play as well.

Tacked-on modes: "Tacked-on" isn't really the right way to describe my issue with vestigial single-player and multiplayer modes, but they're still a problem. I don't know why I bother with story modes in fighting games, for example.

On-disc DLC: Biiiiiiig problem. Capcom.

Achievement whoring: I personally mitigate against this by playing games that are fun to play and that have achievements that are fun to earn, but there are still a lot of people who look at the latest licensed release as "easy 1000G" and buy crappy games on purpose for that reason.

RRoD/PS3 HAS NO GAMES: Slim = what RRoD? PS3 still doesn't have a lot of games I'm interested in, though, mainly because a lot of the ones I'd care about are multiplatform. (PS3 does have a few imports I'd get due to it being region-free.)

Price: Most of the games I've bought for my 360 have cost less than $20. I've also imported every region-free shmup except Eschatos and Bullet Soul, and I plan on getting both of those (same situation as with the fightstick).

Bans: I bought my 360 new, so it's not too big an issue, but I've got a friend selling a cheap 360, flashed to run Japanese stuff, that I would buy without a second thought, if not for it being banned from LIVE. Additionally, as mentioned before, this is still an issue for used consoles from eBay vendors or places like GameStop and pawn shops, as a lot of people won't tell you it's banned, and stores don't test things. And now it's a PS3 issue as well.

Mii knockoffs: Avatars are neat (I need to get my Wizard Score in Pinball FX2 high enough that I can unlock the awesome wizard robe), but with Irem's death, Home is even more worthless to me.

Non-gaming stuff: Right now the non-gaming features on my 360 are only visible if I scroll to menus in my Dashboard that aren't Friends or My Xbox. I'll bet the December 6th update will change that, though, since they're supposed to be adding a lot of things of that sort. Either way, it's not too big a deal; now that I have good Internet, I'll probably use Netflix (especially since my parents want to get the Netflix Wii stuff), and I'm sure some of the services they're adding will have stuff I'm interested in.

Console wars are retarded.

One thing I will add that's become true since getting the 360: I'm really sick of, when telling people why I got my 360, being told "the PS3 has those games too." No, it doesn't, and constantly using this fallacious argument as a reason why I should've gotten a PS3 instead of a 360 just makes me want to delay that purchase even longer.

As an aside, I like how bobman and Lizard Dude accused me of wanting to pirate stuff on 360, and then I proceeded to buy over seventy games for the system within three months. I also like how the only proper English-release visual novel on the current-gen platforms is Catherine.

« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »
Slim = what RRoD?
Not true. I got hit bigtime, turns out the Slim is so sleek and ninja-quiet that its RRODs are also ninjas. My xbox had issues with restarting itself for months before it finally became a RROD and I finally just got it fixed. Span of broken to fixed was late July to late November.

Also LD just bought a Slim that almost instantly RROD.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
Yeah, I know the slims still have the possibility of an overheating-related system failure, but it's much rarer than on any of the fat models. It sounds like you guys are just really unlucky.

« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2011, 02:52:39 AM »
No, my 360 S works fine.

I did temporarily have problems with a hard drive after doing a data transfer but I fixed it.

« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2011, 03:58:14 AM »
Mine wasn't overheating, there was an error with the hard drive slot in the console. The guy on the phone made it sound like it was a common problem, further evidenced by the fact that they immediately sent me a new (different) console instead of fixing mine.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
That's not the same thing, then (and I'm glad I haven't been having that issue).

The major issue everyone refers to when they talk about the RRoD was caused by an X-clamp weakening due to high heat and bending apart, causing the boards it was holding in place to break contact. The PS3 had a similar but rarer issue (Yellow Light of Death) involving some thermal paste melting.

The 360 S is designed differently, so that isn't possible anymore; however, it still shuts down automatically if it gets too hot (which, judging from how hot mine has gotten at times while still running fine, must be pretty [darn]ed hot).

« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
360. PS3 has games now, but it took too long.
Relics.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
PS3 games I'd get:
-Atelier Rorona
-Atelier Totori
-Atelier Meruru
-Arcana Heart 3 (European version, so that I can get a physical copy in English)
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Mamoru-Kun is Cursed!
-Under Defeat HD
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-Tales of Graces F
-BioShock (platform-exclusive stuff, plus then I could be a True Fan)
-Flower

This is why I don't have a PS3 yet but will get one at some point.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #280 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Yeah, so, whoops, I own a PS3 now. I got it because a friend sold it to me for $60; it doesn't read discs, but otherwise works great, which is good news for someone who largely wants to play stuff from PlayStation Network. Especially with this week's PlayStation Plus deal, which includes all of the following titles as full games, most of which I haven't played:

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
inFAMOUS 2
LittleBigPlanet 2
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Just Cause 2
Saints Row 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Hard Corps: Uprising
Choplifter HD
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone
Sideway New York

So, I picked up a PlayStation Plus subscription card on the way home today, and am now downloading a couple of those games. So far, I've found at least one thing I like about PlayStation Plus versus Xbox LIVE Gold: "free" games alongside the constant sales.

I'm going to pay to get the system repaired at some point so that I can play most of the games I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, but for now, I'll stick with PlayStation Plus stuff and other PSN titles, like Flower.

Regarding something in a previous post here about PSP games on Vita: since the UMD Passport program isn't a thing in the US, it seems the solution a lot of publishers have used (at least for the segment of Vita-compatible PSP games I looked through on PSN a few minutes ago) is simply dropping the price outright. This has good side effects for people who want to stick with the PSP a bit longer but don't want to bother with retail games.

« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
Wait, how does that work? These games are a free download? Or you can only play them free for a week?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
If you're an active PlayStation Plus subscriber and "purchase" (as in, go through the purchase process like you would any other PlayStation Network item) these games or other games from similar PS+ promos, you have full access to them on your PSN account unless you let your PS+ subscription expire, at which point you lose access to the games unless you renew your subscription or purchase them normally.

PS+ sales work just like Deal of the Week for Xbox LIVE Gold users: you have to be subscribed to the service to get the sale price, but you own it after buying it, regardless of subscription status.

PS+ also has "full game trials," which let you play a full PS3 game for an hour, and early demos and stuff.

« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »
Your first two paragraphs contradict each other, I'm confused.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
They're different parts of the same service; the first paragraph is about free games (as mentioned in the longer post), while the second is about discounted items (which work just like any other discount on PlayStation Network, except that they're only offered for PlayStation Plus users; this is why I compared it to DotW for XBL Gold).

Print