Print

Author Topic: Mario Poll #1  (Read 3201 times)

« on: June 21, 2001, 07:07:41 AM »
 question: which action play do you like better? the battles in Paper Mario? (RPG Type) or in SM64 (freedom type) the answer you post could affect the way i make my Mario game so explain also why you like it.

It''s a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2001, 08:22:22 AM »
Both

Here we go!
--------------------------------
Anyone remember me?Roy Koopa''s brother?Theory-Guy?You know,don''t you?Ah,screw it.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2001, 08:52:32 AM »
Oh, that's right, you're making a Mario game. I completely forgot about that. I hope it's going along well.

I'd prefer the types of battles in Paper Mario. So in other words, classic RPG battle system.

You should put up some beta version or something so that we can see what you have so far. And, you know, maybe to test it for bugs or whatever.

As a little tip, I think it's best if you map out the room things that instantly pop up into your mind without bothering to link them together. Then as your game nears completion, you can decide how to link these together. Otherwise, it might be tough getting a suitable path for it.

I'm going to be making a game thing as well, although it will be based off of my RPG Ideas thingy at my website. It's going to be a ZZT game (check TMK if you don't know what that is), and it might even turn out to be a story thing.

Of course, I could just make a regular RPG with RPG Maker, but I'm not too good with moderation of skills, enemies, etc. So since ZZT is generally easier since it doesn't have RPG elements, I decided to program with that. Now to understand the ZZT-OOP programming language...

You might also consider making a duplicate of the char set and somehow showing it to us to see what you have for it so far. It's easy when you make it as an attachment for e-mails. Who knows, I might even help out the char set.

Or better yet, maybe be some sort of second helper with the game, helping out in some way (I don't know how yet), and testing out the game, etc. I think that would be fun. Just constantly sending the new files as they come in, and so forth.

If Bowser wanted to destroy Mario, he wouldn''t have made Goombas his first line of defense.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2001, 09:51:15 AM »
Yo MarioNut#1, r u making your game with RPG Maker? If you are I could help because I'm pretty expirienced with it.

Oh yeah--the poll. I like Paper Mario battles better.

| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"
| /
|/
|\ amek2K
| \   -"Who wants lottery tickets!?"

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2001, 10:05:21 AM »
Free. RPGs take to long.

"Ignorance is bliss"
Sig...
------------------------------
Small Console = Big Ballz

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2001, 08:38:24 PM »
Mario and link: come on you gotta chose one
Penguin wizard: acctually i havnt even started it im still gettin my poop in a group
Kamek: actually i was sorta leaning to the sm64 way but i was just wondering just the same

It''s a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2001, 06:48:23 AM »
uh,RPG.they take more stratigy."If I don't want a fight with the Piranna plant,I'll face this way,he'll come out that way,and I'll run!"is what I like.not just"ok i'll runaround and punch him."too easy.

Here we go!
--------------------------------
Anyone remember me?Roy Koopa''s brother?Theory-Guy?You know,don''t you?Ah,screw it.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2001, 01:26:12 PM »
And although making an RPG with RPG Maker with free battles (like Super Mario 64) is possible (or at least in RPGM2000), it's very tough, complex, and possibly buggy.

It would be a lot better if you made it as a regular RPG.

And I suggest getting someone experienced like Kamek2k, because you're gonna need moderation of difficulty so that it isn't too hard or too easy, and it gradually gets more difficult.

This was not the case in the RPG EarthBound, where battles near the end were way too easy compared to the early battles. And Secret of Mana started hard and got supremo easy.

Good luck with the RPG. And once I actually put time into my ZZT game, I'll be sure to find a way to put up a pre-alpha version thing on my soon-to-be-created new site that handles all the misc downloads.

If Bowser wanted to destroy Mario, he wouldn''t have made Goombas his first line of defense.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2001, 01:30:57 PM »
Free and open, definitley.  Especially in a Mario game.  Open fighting requires a lot of sharp reflex and being able to think on your feet.  They're waaaayy more intense.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2001, 02:32:15 PM »
well this is the way i see it. I dont really like the RPG because I cant imagine Mario just standing there while, say Bowser comes over and wacks him one, i mean he would be ducking and fighting back. Thats not natural hehe has any one seen those stupid OAK express comercials? O ya i forgot Im goin to be using C++ but first I have to learn it, thats what is puttin me behind.

It''s a me Marionut#1

Edited by - marionut#1 on 6/24/2001 1:34:39 PM
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2001, 12:17:32 AM »
Mario was originally made as an intense move around alot character. And RPGs are not really instense games. And I think I like to see Mario as a free fast moving character. Going through lots of options and using stradegy is not how I envision Mario.

****under construction****

Edited by - Onett on 6/24/01 11:18:04 PM
****under construction****

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2001, 08:01:15 PM »
then how do you explain Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario?

btw Onett, I'm happy to see someone here with an EarthBound-related name. Long live Mr. Saturn and the Almighty Hippie! hehe

''Those who stop and run away, get destroyed some other day.''
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2001, 11:47:18 AM »
Classic RPG style, definitely.  They are way more intense if you get into 'em.  (I was really disappointed when Chrono died...)
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2001, 02:41:07 PM »
I like the ones that are a mix of both. If you've ever played Aidyn Chronicles or Quest 64 (it sucked! But it proves my point). Its cool the way they have you in an octagon, and the battle area in an octogon. You actually have to aim at your enemies, and you can dodge their attacks. But, don't have random battles. They suck! Make it so gamers can see the enemies before they have to get dragged into a fight.

~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~
~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~

Print