Give it away
2 (5.6%)
Sell it
3 (8.3%)
Trade it in
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: If you get a Wii U and have a Wii what'll you do with the old system?  (Read 18267 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
When I eventually* get a Wii U I plan to transfer my Wii account to it and am thinking of either putting it in the basement for my daughter and/or home brewing it.  It can also be used to play GCN discs that the Wii U won't support if I remember correctly.  I already have a GCN with a Game Boy Player for that though. 

What will/would you do?  Move it to another TV?  Trade in?  EBay?  Homebrew?  Sledgehammer, speed bump, multistory drop? 

What did you do with other previous systems?  PS2, Xbox, etc?  I wish I still had my PS2 since my PS3 w/ BC's drive stopped working.  I kept my GCN for the GBplayer.  I gave away my old PC, but took apart the HDD. 

*I didn't get a Wii U deluxe pre-order and am short on cash for a while anyway. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Mine's losing the ability to read discs, so I'll be keeping it around for emulation and running Project M in USB Loader. But since it already can't read Thousand-Year Door I'm gonna want to back up some of my favorite GameCube games as well, so I won't have to hook up a GameCube every time I wanna play one and deal with the super ugly blurry gross RCA cables
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
D'oh. 

Don't know why I put GBP in the poll options, but I'm not deleting it now out of fear of deleting previous votes. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
My old Wii will most likely be banished to the basement to be used as a GameCube.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
I'll be keeping it around; having the two might actually be useful to me. Plus with my GameCube we'll still be able to have Four Swords fun!

EDIT: I voted change room/TVs.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
Mine makes a worryingly loud humming/buzzing/whirring noise that makes one think the disc is about to be launched like a shuriken, but I'll still need it for the likes of TTYD, SMS, and LoZ:WW.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
She will gracefully retire to my shelf of old video games.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
that makes one think the disc is about to be launched like a shuriken
put it outside your house

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »
None of those. Both my Wiis will probably never be used again, but I won't sell or throw them away. They will follow me my whole life, sitting in closets and corners but never being used just like the SNES and N64 before them.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
I don't see myself getting a Wii U so it'll probably still serve as a Wii.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Considering how foolishly I got rid of my Gamecube, it'll keep fulfilling its current purpose playing Viewtiful Joe and Other Such Hits.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
I may use mine in the basement for games like SMS and 1000 Year Door unless we get reasonably priced HD version on virtual console as was recently suggested on Nintendo Life.  I'd put more credence in that article if it was from Megabyte or not source for a gaming mag. 

What would you consider reasonable for a digital download of an HD version of a GCN game?  $20? 

I also need to research hacking a Wii to play full game installs from an HDD when said Wii has the latest OS upgrade.  PM any ideas please...

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
Eh... I'll probably try to give it away. I have two Gamecubes buried in a Tupperware in my closet, but I don't want my Wii to meet that fate.

EDIT: Wait... since the Wii U can't play Gamecube games, I'll probably just stack my Wii on top of it or something. My GCN games still get a lot of play time.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
I'll probably just stack my Wii on top of it or something.

Real gamers stack them vertically.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
My brother has a GameCube but is constantly playing my Wii, so I'll just sell the GameCube and give him the Wii after transferring the data from the Wii to the Wii-U. I'm killing a crapload of birds with one stone!
Relics.

Print