Print

Author Topic: Nintendo to allow cross-platform multiplayer  (Read 4231 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
Quote from: Ripstone developer
We're launching Pure Chess and Knytt Underground later this year, and on Pure Chess we asked whether we could do cross-platform multiplayer, expecting it to be the typical closed console platform I've been used to working with for 20 years. Within a couple of days they said, 'yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem.'

More:  http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359953
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
Very interesting.

Cross-platform support is becoming increasingly common for PlayStation games, with many new releases for PS3 and Vita being cross-buy (pay once and get both games) and cross-play; in fact, Dragon's Crown launched without cross-play, but just got it added in the most recent patch in Japan. It also already exists in at least one Wii U/3DS game, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

It's the sort of feature I would love to see catch on with more developers. Up until the past couple of years, the most we had heard about it was a couple of Xbox 360/PC games that supported cross-platform play earlier in the generation, but now we're constantly getting cross-buy and cross-play PSN releases from various indie devs. I'd love to see more releases from bigger devs with cross-platform play, especially with the upcoming userbase split; instead of everything being PS3, 360, maybe Wii U, and PC, everything's going to be PS3, 360, maybe Wii U, PS4, Xbone, and PC, and cross-platform multiplayer would help with the smaller playerbases this will lead to in the short term, even if it's only really viable for games that use dedicated servers.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
Isn't Disney Infinity also a cross-platform title? I know it's available on every platform (including Wii)..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
Not the same thing. We're talking about multiplayer across separate types of devices, like playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate with players on both Wii U and 3DS in the same session.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »
Great choice on Nintendo's part.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
Not the same thing. We're talking about multiplayer across separate types of devices, like playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate with players on both Wii U and 3DS in the same session.
Better, you could play [FPS# 112463] with players using the DRMbox One or PS only 4 games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
Now I REALLY want Dark Souls 2 on Wii U
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print