Print

Author Topic: It's the 3DS!  (Read 50664 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:51:02 AM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118173

Well, that came out of nowhere...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »
Well holy crap.

I don't think anyone saw it coming.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
I like how they talk about the backwards compatibility like there was ever a chance Nintendo was abandoning something they've been condoning since 1998.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
They did with the DSi.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
I'm calling April Fools on this. The strange formatting of the letter, the enthusiasm of the reporter, the "too good to be true" aspect. Something about "fiscal year ending in March" made me think of April.

I'll wait until April 3 and see if this story's still floating around by then. If so... then that's cool. But I didn't think we were in the age of holograms yet. It just seems like it's going too fast for Nintendo. And you just know the first titles we'll see for that thing will be ports of the Virtual Boy games.

By the way, I wish GoNintendo would keep that Cave Story art up on their site forever.

I'm declaring this guy the "Be wary of April Fools" Pokemon:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:30:17 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
So the fact that the PDF in question is hosted by Nintendo doesn't mean anything?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
You can do 3D without holograms. They just haven't been very good at it yet.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
Sweetness. We've had these same darn systems for so long now I forgot how it felt to look forward to a new one.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
I call April Fools, guys, sorry. Nintendo can host all the crazy news they want, I still don't think it's true.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
We've had these same darn systems for so long now I forgot how it felt to look forward to a new one.
There were nine years between the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. Six between the DS and its follow-up isn't that bad by comparison.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
Those of you crying April Fools: Check the site again. Nintendo themselves stated it will be showcased at E3.

Now lets see if they launch the system with a new Mario game or a 3D port of Super Mario Sunshine.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
There were nine years between the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. Six between the DS and its follow-up isn't that bad by comparison.
Though that raises the question....

Do we really need a new one now?

I know the system will be a day one buy for me but still...the DS has a lot of momentum left and if I was Nintendo, I'd wait a little more before moving to the next system.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
Those of you crying April Fools: Check the site again. Nintendo themselves stated it will be showcased at E3.

That's what makes it such a good joke!

octopus gun
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
[T]he DS has a lot of momentum left and if I was Nintendo, I'd wait a little more before moving to the next system.
Considering what's still in development for the DS (fifth-gen Pokémon titles and Golden Sun, among other things) and that the new system will be backwards-compatible, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS keeps going the same way the PS2 has. Also remember that games that had Game Boy Color features but were still compatible with the original Game Boy continued to be developed for some time after the Game Boy Color's release.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
No GBA compatability. FFFUUUUUUU--

As for the "3D" aspect, speculation runs wild. If they'll seriously be relying on Paper Mario-style 2.5-dimensional graphics for a pop-out effect (as demonstrated in the first link), I'll be filled with disappoint.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print