Print

Author Topic: The Princess Kidnapping Bit  (Read 3225 times)

« on: June 15, 2000, 01:02:46 PM »
Dosen't Nintendo know we're all sick of it? (Paper Mario)

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2000, 01:19:38 PM »
The princess kidnapping bit?  I wasn't aware that we were sick of it in the first place. :)
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2000, 10:37:25 AM »
"The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and
return them to their normal selves is the Princess Toadstool, the daughter of
the Mushroom King.  Unfortunately, she is presently in the hands of the great
Koopa turtle king."

-"Super Mario Bros." manual (1985)

In the original game with her, the Princess had the role of a powerful sorceress, whose kidnapping by Bowser had strategic value (she could destroy everything he'd worked toward).  Now, she's been kidnapped in "Lost Levels" (maybe that's just an alternate universe to "Super Mario Bros.," though), "Super Mario Bros. 3," "Super Mario World," "Super Mario R.P.G.," "Mario 64," and possibly "Paper Mario."  At this point, her kidnapping is just a convenient plot point (cliché?) to get Mario off his plumber butt and go on these quests to set the wrong things right.  There barely even seems to be a motive for Bowser to take her anymore.  I almost think the people working for Nintendo now have forgotten Princess Toadstool's original purpose.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa

Edited by - Mega 2 on 12/22/2000 1:18:51 PM
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2000, 03:14:46 PM »
I don't see what the big problem is, the Mario games are supposed to be games that loosely tie to each other, but are for the most part stand alone games.  That's why we see the repeating plot point.

Is the princess-kidnapping thing really so bad anyway?  I think its just one of the more humorous quirks of the Mario series.  I've never really minded it. . .
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2000, 03:38:44 PM »
I agree with billychilly.

~No more metal mario...new and improved titanium mario!~

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2000, 04:13:52 PM »
I don't mind it that much. But why is it that Mario can't get captured once in a while, and it's Peach's turn to save the day! And then Mario can bake me a cake after working so hard. It may not make the ten best video game list, but it's just a thought.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2000, 05:23:09 PM »
I'm not saying I hate the princess kidnapping plot, I just think it's lost its meaning.  The Princess' character has been changed since the early days.  It was nice, however, to have her as a playable character in "Super Mario Bros. 2."  Why can't Daisy get kidnapped?  It doesn't make sense.  I'm mainly just venting on random subjects here...oh yeah, and I read that the Japanese are more sexist than Americans.  I think that's all I was going to say, now this post has no unifying integrity.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2000, 07:16:45 AM »
There's nothing wrong with him saving the princess. I'm used to it, I'm not sick of it... I don't really care about the goal (as long as there is one) but the means to the goal are what's important.

SMB - save the princess
SMB2 - save the Sub-Con
SMB3 - save the Kings, save the princess at the end
SML - save the princess
SML2 - save your castle
SMW - save the Yoshies and the princess
SMW2 - save Luigi
SM64 - save the stars and find the princess
YS - save the island

And I'm not sure about Paper Mario, but it'll be a lot more complex than just another "save the princess" plot. I've seen scenes where you're actually controlling the Princess.

So it's not THAT common.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2001, 11:18:40 AM »
I am Love The Kidnaping Bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2001, 12:19:30 PM »
The only reason why Bowser kidnapped Peach in SMB1 is because she would set the mushrooms free. But  in most of the cartoons with Peach being kidnapped, Bowser is more of a pimp trying to get another girl to sell. (I can't believe they would put that in the cartoons! Little children watch these!)

------------------
Don''t quote me on this, but I''m betting that pipe goes somewhere. ---Goombario

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2001, 03:26:40 PM »
i think the princess has lost all or most of her magic power. Anyway how about this idea, i heard it from a website but they were talking about zelda games.

how about if the Mario games are all the same story that is houndreds of years old and after time everyone forgot the real story so there was so many deffernt virsions.

i no this makes no sence but it was the only thing i could think of.
CANADA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2001, 07:20:42 PM »
Nah...it's fun to have the Mario stories all progress.  I mean look at the developement. You may THINK it's jsut Bowser kidnapps Peach Mario Saves Peach all the time, but look at it this way:

SMB: Bowser takes Peach in order to rule the Mushroom Kingdom, whether she marrys him or not.  Mario comes from out of no where and rescues her.

SMB3: Bowser takes her again after making Mario worn out from running all over the kingdom and fighting his kids.  Bowser kidnapped Peach in order to have her, but also to set a trap for Mario.

SMW: By now, I am convinced Bowser's kiddnapping is primarily to get at Mario, THEN to marry Peach and rule the Mushroom Kingdom.

MRPG: Again, a quick kidnapping to get at Mario, though something intervenes...

SM64: Bowser here really shows his desire to destory Mario as his primary reason for his Princess Pilfering. He seals up Peach magically inside her stain glass window even, probably only to release her once the Mushroom Kingdom is his once and for all, and the Mario Bros are dealt with.

PM: Bowser tries his best to be nice to Peach (well, except that he kidnapped her).  It's two fold: he does indeed wish to marry her, but also, if he manages to, it would REALLY get to Mario. That fails, but he still has his chance to bump the plumber off forever....and fails at that too, again.

What I'm saying is that Bowser's reasons for kidnapping her are varied and change.  First, just to rule the MK.  Now, it's almost more to just get at Mario, and ruling the Mushroom Kingdom is more a cover (though he does and always has had a thing for her, and he does desire to rule TMK...).

That's about it.

--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

"What?  You don''t think I''m the oldest?  Come here and say that!!"
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2001, 07:29:19 PM »
Nintendo Land right? Well, anyway, that couldn't happen, because unlike the Legend of Zelda games, in which they introduce each other, etc., in the Super Mario games, they already know each other, "Bowser has captured the Princess again!" "I finally beat my old rival Mario!" "On vacation after SMB3" "These goombas have been your enemies since Super Mario Bros.!" Although with the last one, I find it kind of odd that Goombario knows that his life is fictional, it's obvious that all of Mario's adventures happened.

------------------
Don''t quote me on this, but I''m betting that pipe goes somewhere. ---Goombario

Print