Print

Author Topic: SMG: Luigi's Purple Coins  (Read 7155 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
I can't beat the purple coin hunt in Toy Time Galaxy!  I realize this particular challenge probably has more to do with skill than strategy, but is there a good method to do this with?  I wasted 15 lives without getting anywhere in it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
my friend said there are over 100 coins in it, meaning you don't have to get them all... if that helps.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
I managed to get it myself, but I hear it's much easier to get with a second "player." You know, Co-Star Mode. I think what a second player would be able to do is hold the shrinking platforms so that they wouldn't disappear.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »
my friend said there are over 100 coins in it, meaning you don't have to get them all... if that helps.

Yeah. You can just skip some. like the ones that are one the edge, don't risk yourself for them. For me the REALLY tough part of the challenge is running back to the start IF you collected 100 coins. Try not to run around the whole place, leave some platforms for the trip back. That's what got me couple times.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »
Are spoiler tags really necessary in the Help board, though?
Ditto used Machop!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:46:40 PM »
Heh, no. This particular star took me around fifteen tries to get. In the end, I started by going to the immediate right from the entrance, where there were a bunch of coins suspended over the ugly quicksand-like substance. After that, it was just jump, jump, don't die.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:52 AM »
Actually, the grouped ones that aren't on the platforms are quite simple to get (and VERY helpful) if you've mastered spin-jumping. Just jump out to them, and spin back to a very close by platform that hasn't been touched yet.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »
Yes, I have beenable to get those ones... the real problem is the shrinking platforms...  If I just had some solid ground to stand on...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
What I did was instead of running over all the platforms, I jumped to one and then to the next one (While leaving some platforms behind of course) That leaves a lot of space for you to run back.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »
I haven't seen the game, but that sounds a lot like what I typically do in 2D games when bridge pieces fall out as I step on them and I want to be able to get back.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Good news... I beat it!  Heck, I beat the whole game... now I just have to do it all over again with Luigi... CURSE THE RAY SURFING!!!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
Aw, I thought the Ray Surfing was fun, even though it was so difficult (especially the final challenge stage). It was a lot more fun than Luigi's Purple Coins, that's for sure.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
I'm terrible at novel control methods, so I sucked at any movement controls using the remote   :(

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 05:38:57 AM »
What you should try to do is alot of jumping (esspecially long jumping) because just running through the course will give you no place to run back when you need to get the star.  I suggest getting all the coins that are real mashed together.  Like that one part where you long jump from one platform to another and the whole jump you are picking up purple coins it is a HUGE way to rack up and I highly suggest using it.  when you enter the world it is all the way on the other end to your right.  Also try jumping over platforms that have five or six coins floating in the air.  There are lots of places that you can get coins so don't try to clean the course of them from left to right.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »
I think he's probably figured it out by now...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print