Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U  (Read 41460 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Remember, "BAHH BAHH" means "No."
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
New universal rule-of-thumb proposal

Do not ***** about games you're gonna play regardless of everything you ***** about (and you know you will), especially if your *****ing covers every aspect of the game

I wouldn't call it that. It's more like criticism. And it's valid criticism if you ask me. I'm pretty much sold on this game by now, but I still think there are some things that it should have done differently and some content that I think should have been new rather than recycled from NSMBW.

But it looks fun, the backgrounds are cool even though they don't merge very well with the foreground, and it's pretty awesome looking in wonderful smooth 1080p HD.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
I wouldn't call it that. It's more like criticism. And it's valid criticism if you ask me.

Quips by members tend to follow any criticism regardless of the way it's said.

Yes, I think they should jumble up the series rather than relying on an engine and art style from 2006 when the original NSMB launched. HD's cool; I'm glad Nintendo's making that step, but as far as the NSMB series, looking at NSMB Wii on the Dolphin emulator and looking at NSMB U ends up looking almost identical because the Dolphin emulator apparently upscales Wii games to 1080p thus eliminating any jaggies (which was a prime reason even beautiful Wii games could look funky).

I guess the most important point I've been trying to make is that they should inject some personality into the series. Preferably more edge-of-your-seat, frantic action that DKCR was chock-full of that complimented its rock-solid control and level design. More depth, more detail... a much more alive, active, varying, and dynamic Mushroom Kingdom.

Just for some random comparison, here's some photos of NSMB Wii being run on Dolphin compared to a screenshot of NSMB U.

NSMB Wii on Dolphin

NSMB U

Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Dolphin (just for the hell of it)

Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
Dude, those upscaled Galaxy pics look amazing.
Relics.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
Totally. Too bad the Wii can't do HD because those emulators run REALLY slow on my computer even though it's relatively new. I still like the art style of New Super Mario Bros U better. I just really want them to give Mario and co a makeover.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »
Yeah, pretty much every AAA Wii game looks gorgeous running on Dolphin.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
I know I just posted this in the Wii U thread, but it probably should be here too:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE</a>

I am very excited for this. Looks like it's shaping up to be the best 2D Mario in a long time.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
That block-making mechanic looks pretty crazy. Glad to see it looks to be the most challenging NSMB yet.

Although, Squirrel Mario's mask does look worryingly Mii-esque...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »
I would assume that's an actual Mii, based on the game's original working title.  But this is seriously some impressive new stuff, and considerably less gimmicky than I would have imagined for the most part.  The soundtrack seems more varied than NSMB's in style, and I'm glad to see the series finally has a new theme (even if it has been known for a while).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:06:43 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
[I'll spare your browsers]
Those platforms better be at a cost to keep them from being OP.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
Looking great. It's funny how the console NSMBs are apparently considered the spin-offs rather than part of the official numbered NSMB series, and yet they're the ones that have effort and creativity put into them.

I mean, NSMB2 is fun, but as far as content goes, it was pretty much just NSMB1 with some elements from NSMBW mixed in. And the only new enemies are a smaller Urchin and a bigger Boo (and a skeleton Piranha Plant, which I love simply because it makes absolutely no sense (plants don't have bones)).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Those platforms better be at a cost to keep them from being OP.

Another player inserts the blocks. It would take a staggering level of coordination to pull off the sequences shown in that trailer. Hopefully they won't be necessary for getting Star Coins...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »
Those colored blocks could be the most helpful thing ever or a living nightmare. It just depends on the person.

"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
As long as there is some icon or notation to indicate if the insertions of blocks was used so that we can see if a speed run was done with/without them. 

I can also see this as a good way of getting players of various ability to play together.  My six-year-old daughter could play with me putting blocks in for the hard parts. 

At Christmas my family (typically myself, my step-father, and two brothers) play co-op games, but my step-father dies often.  We all want him to enjoy the game, but he sometimes gets frustrated and ends up simply watching us and/or wanting to play cards or dominoes.  With this mode one of use could place blocks to help him or he could feel part of the game by placing blocks for us.  Win-win!
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print