Print

Author Topic: Banjo Kazooie - Nuts and Bolts  (Read 13559 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
No one's stopping you from owning multiple consoles. I mean, you complain about upcoming Wii games all the time. Get a 360.

Unless you'd start doing the same thing with upcoming games for the 360. In which case, please, remain "loyal" to Nintendo.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 08:32:25 AM »
360: *Darth Vader NOOO*
PS3: Very possibly maybe (yes, there has been consideration around these parts)

Honestly, it's almost become a perverse sort of entertainment, more fun than most of its actual games, to try to see how much fun I can squeeze out of a Wii and a Wii alone. I could get a 24-hour feed of my TV room and it would play right after The World's Fattest Man or one of those other tragic shows with somber piano music.

Besides, like it's worth buying a 360 just for Nuts & Bolts.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »
No one's stopping you from owning multiple consoles. I mean, you complain about upcoming Wii games all the time. Get a 360.

Unless you'd start doing the same thing with upcoming games for the 360. In which case, please, remain "loyal" to Nintendo.
At first, I thought you were aiming this toward me, to which I would've replied, I have a PS2, thank you very much.

The only things stopping me from owning multiple consoles of current gen are money and there are not enough games on either PS3 or 360, as of now, that interest me.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
...So, has nobody here actually played the game?

I must admit, I'm enjoying it.  The traditional platforming is pretty much nonexistent at this point except for some exploring in the hub area, but I'm getting into the whole vehicle thing well enough.

The levels themselves are a fairly strange state, as getting Jiggies/Jinjos is entirely challenge-based.  This means that, while the levels are quite large and intricate, you can see exactly where you need to go on the map (and, quite early in the game, can simply fly straight to the point), and that the game enters a self-contained challenge in order to get your prize.  I'm not really sure how I feel about what's become of exploring in levels (you'll still need to explore anyway to find notes, but otherwise it's mainly for fun), but creating/tweaking tailor-made vehicles for a particularly tough challenge is proving pretty fun.  And, naturally, with the amount of freedom allowed in vehicle creation, there's quite the range of interesting solutions to any one problem.

I'm not really sure if I have an opinion on the art style; it's appropriate to the game, and I don't really object...  And I'm glad to see that the humor is more or less intact.

Anyway, it's quite fun, but I'll reserve judgment until later.
Go Moon!

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
Well, looks like we've got two ShadowBrians roaming around being cautiously pessimistic. I'm leaving the forums.

Nope, I'm not like ShadowBrian at all. I'm actually very positive about Nintendo right now, especially after their last press conference. It's Rare that I don't like, and they no longer have much to do with the big N.

Oh, and Fitfth, thanks for the impressions. It doesn't sound that bad from what you said, but it doesn't sound that good either. Mainly because, as I suspected, it seems to have a heavy dose of repetitiveness, and a light dose of familiarity. One question - does the flying have more to it than just flying - say, dodging obstacles and enemies? Because if not, then that bites.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
When you're just flying (or wandering at all) about a level, there's not really much challenge, though ease-of-navigation depends on the level (some are really spacious, allowing you to fly far above, while others are cramped and filled with obstacles).  Enemies are dismissible and weak when wandering, too, not helped by the fact that you can't legitimately die when outside of a challenge (Kazooie just slaps you back to life).

Within challenges are when things matter more, when you're given a certain path to fly or drive, or an item to recover, or something to protect, or destroy, when they throw at you whatever they can to stop you, break you, or throw you off.  Of course, you could probably have guessed as much.

And as repetitive as they may seem when hearing about the game, the challenges vary enough to stay fairly interesting.  And, um, challenging.  Though that may be a matter of opinion.
Go Moon!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »
Nope, I'm not like ShadowBrian at all. I'm actually very positive about Nintendo right now, especially after their last press conference. It's Rare that I don't like, and they no longer have much to do with the big N.

Still, the very idea of "cautious pessimism" just makes me... want to squeeze some sort of doughy substance and throw it at a wall. You trap yourself in a hole where you're looking for negatives and only see negatives and, just, agh. Why would you do that to yourself?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
Still, the very idea of "cautious pessimism" just makes me... want to squeeze some sort of doughy substance and throw it at a wall. You trap yourself in a hole where you're looking for negatives and only see negatives and, just, agh. Why would you do that to yourself?

That's not the way I am at all, Bird Person. In fact, when I first saw the early previews for Nuts and Bolts, I had a lot of hope for the game as well. Now that reviews are pouring in, however, I'm quickly losing faith in this game.

However, Fifth's reply may have given me a bit more hope for Banjo's latest adventure. It's good to see that at least some people are enjoying it, and I'm glad to hear that the challenges are varried and challenging enough.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Print