Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto talks Galaxy, Wii Ware  (Read 3564 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »
Wired News is running a series of E3 interviews, and today's featured their sitdown with Miyamoto. Even though E3 wasn't as huge as years past, Miyamoto still had much to say about Nintendo's offerings at the expo. Below I've included part of the interview, in which Wired News asked Miyamoto about Super Mario Galaxy's two-player feature.

Wired News: I was just playing Super Mario Galaxy, and I was really interested in the two-player mode. Could I hear about why that came about?

Shigeru Miyamoto: One of the driving forces behind it was that we felt that since Mario 64, a lot of people have had a hard time playing the Mario games because of the move to 3D. So this time, we really wanted to create a Mario game that everybody can play -- but we still wanted to do something in 3D. So that was really the genesis of the idea.

The other thing is, with the Mario games, if you're playing and there are people sitting next to you, they're always saying, "Oh, go over here, go look at that thing." And so we thought that with the Wii remote and the pointer we would be able to make it more interactive for the people sitting on the couch next to you, who could guide you along the way pointing at different objects.

Interesting way Miyamoto answered that. I see his logic behind having the two-player mode the way it is. It seems like he feels having it where both characters are on-screen would deter from the game in some way. We forget often that Mario games were turn-based before 3D, and with all the exploration in Mario 64 or SMG, that type of setup would have, to me, hurt the overall experience. What do you think?

Oh, and make sure to read more of the interview at the link below!

Link: blog.wired.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:20:14 PM by Deezer »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:24:06 AM »
I think this method of 2 player interaction is very clever. After all, we can't take turns very well when stages take much more than 180 seconds to complete. That's a point for Mr. Miyamoto.

Print