Print

Author Topic: Gallery of BP  (Read 232738 times)

« Reply #660 on: September 07, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
Seeing that this is quite possibly the last amazing drawing we'll see from BP, a moment to "NEVER FORGET" seems appropriate.

Speaking of, is the pronunciation Mill-Dee, or Mild- Eee?
THE 'E' IS SILENT

SERIOUSLY
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #661 on: September 21, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Ok then, I'm going to be very blunt here. I just read through the majority of this thread. skipped a couple dead pages here and there, but saw most of this work.

I don't recall laughing once. In fact, I'm not even sure if I smiled. The point is, this webcomic is extremely unpolished and mediocre.

Honestly, if the intent is to make the reader laugh, then you can't achieve that if you follow up every single strip explaining what each nuance of the joke is. You might as well just place a picture of Rainier Wolfcastle in each 4th panel if you wish to save time.

Also, it really bothers me that you're so focused on perfecting your "style" as opposed to learning the most basic of art foundations in your work. Its nice to have a style, but that can't come at the cost of understanding how a body works or how something interacts with its envorenment. It's evident in your work that you are focusing way too much on facial expressions and not enough on body language. Everything just seems so lifeless when most panels consist of a couple characters standing around grimacing while another is yelling or saying something ridiculous. You need to find a balance between both instead of letting one overshadow the other.

Similarly, your shading and lack of depth reek of laziness. Giving the bottom of each limb a dropshadow isn't proper shading. It's also completely inconsistent with the lighting in many of the locales, especially the one with the Mystery Dungeon characters in the base. Why is there shade in Wigglytuff's face when there's no structure above her body? and why are the shadows in front of their bodies when the light is coming from the left side of the screen? Since there is no definite difference in shading between the background and the characters, it all comes together as one flat mess.

I might be looking too much into this, but I'm definitely sure what you need is constructive criticsm which so far no one else seems to be contributing to this thread. I'm not trying to be a snob or a jerk, but you seem content to just chug along putting out these Nintendo comics when its clear you're not putting nearly enough effort into every aspect aside from writing and presentation. If you want to get better, you need to focus on your weaknesses and fix them, but if you're content making a couple guys on a Mario message board pat your back for every little doodle that you upload, than be my guest.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #662 on: September 21, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
Mr. Wiggles, how well can you draw?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #663 on: September 22, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »
Stop posting in this thread. The unfunny, untalented popularity seeker who started it is long gone (he can be very funny and talented at times, I'm just saying he isn't to humor Wiggles).
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #664 on: September 22, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »
Mr. Wiggles, how well can you draw?

I don't see how that's relevant. Do you ask movie critics what the last summer blockbuster they directed is? Do you ask grocery store managers how they raise crops to sell?

Point is, criticism and talent do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I'll take Rao's advice though and just let this thread sink until BP decides to come back again. You know he'll be back, or he's lurking around...
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #665 on: September 22, 2009, 01:28:53 AM »
You'll notice the "how well can you draw?" argument against art critics always comes from people who think they can draw.

The idea that BP "explains every nuance of every joke" is quite the exaggeration. While he does explain a good amount of them, it's mostly due to the fact that most of the people who'll read them on here don't know nearly as much about video games as you'd expect from people reading a video game-oriented message board. (I for one wouldn't get half of the Metal Gear Solid jokes, because I don't play movies.) He doesn't explain nearly as many of them on his site, which he actually keeps up to date (aside from that one bonus strip about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on WiiWare, which appears to be forum-exclusive).

Your example was this comic, right? That comic is something like half a year or more old, so of course his technique was worse then than it is now. You could say the same about a lot of popular comics (both web and otherwise). If you look at that sketch of Snake and Marching Milde there, it's technically better than your example.

You used "mutually exclusive" wrong. It means things can't happen at the same time, not that one is a requirement for the other.

« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »
I wasn't criticizing you Mr. Wiggles. It sounds like you know what makes a webcomic successful so I'd like to see you draw one.

« Reply #667 on: September 22, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Mr. Wiggles is simply speaking from a spectator's standpoint. Say, if Youtube users had to upload videos in order to access the site, it wouldn't be the household name it is today. While I don't necessarily agree with most of Wig's criticisms, pulling the "let's see you do any better" card on him is a rather immature reaction.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #668 on: September 22, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
He's right--the "Better than you can do" retort is basically an agreement that the accused is indeed mediocre.

I like it when someone doesn't like my artwork (as long as it's pure honesty and not, say, some fool strutting around, commenting negatively all over Stack Smash regardless of artist). If I'm serious about the career I'm pursuing I need serious people to respond. It's refreshing reality that I'm not the best, and that lets me know to try harder. And some of the things Wiggles said, I was aware of even at the time--illogical shading or inconsistency... but I was too lazy to do it over, thinking no one would notice or care. That's not a good mentality to have.

Being the source of them it's harder to judge whether or not my comics are funny, and I'm not claiming a single one of them is (probably not a good mentality to have either). At the time I make them, they would seem to be funny, to me. I look back now and very few of the old ones still do. Some time around 48 I decided it was time to reinvent the jokes altogether, and get away from very specific or vague video game jokes.

Also no I'm not back, nor was I lurking. I was pointed here by WarpRattler and decided to leave my thoughts. The rest of the forums are not improving in my absence and do not interest me.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #669 on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
Okay, I'll admit my immaturity. Sorry.

You'll notice the "how well can you draw?" argument against art critics always comes from people who think they can draw.

I can't draw. At least well.

« Reply #670 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »
You used "mutually exclusive" wrong. It means things can't happen at the same time, not that one is a requirement for the other.

[darn], I knew that sentence wasn't right

Also, it's nice to see you didn't get defensive about my brutal honesty. Can you believe how many others pull that cop-out?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #671 on: April 01, 2010, 03:42:45 AM »

Oh, I guess the whole tutorial-every-three-seconds really only means that there's so much to do in Bowser's Inside Story, but the way I see it, there's so much to learn and very little actual use of what you're learning, kind of like real life and school. Regardless... fun game. Bowser's specials are awesome.

Edit: Oh and if you wanted to completely waste your time looking at my works again there's this and this and most importantly this. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:48:41 AM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2010, 07:23:01 AM »
I noticed Survival Mode recently and love how it's coming along so far.  Glad to see you're back!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #673 on: April 01, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
Holy [wtd], Batman, BP posted again! Does this have something to do with it being April 1st?

Also the comic gave me lols.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #674 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:27 AM »
First post since I came back? It's 'cause I haven't finished any comics or scanned any not-comics lately. 'Cause I've been working on this:

It's a Brawl stage built out of boxes and whatever else I needed to make it work. The platform in the middle is actually made of out Ike's sword and the guard rails are a bunch of those metal platforms from Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2.

It's Osohe Castle from EarthBound 2. I mean, why wouldn't it be something EarthBound related? No one should need to ask by now.

More pics and more of me talking here
It's YOUR problem!

Print