Print

Author Topic: It's the 3DS!  (Read 50662 times)

« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
So, theoretically, you could insert a flash card into any 3DS of anyone you find and get Nintendo to brick it remotely?

I miss the days where you could buy something and actually have ownership of it.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
Flash cards don't work that way and Nintendo can't (and doesn't) legally brick things on purpose.

There's nothing current piracy devices do that touches anything in the system software; you can't access the kernel at all from SLOT-1 on a DS or DSi, and it's probably the same on the 3DS.

If that's not the case, it won't be long before someone makes custom firmware or something like the Homebrew Channel, at which point thousands of users will void their warranty by installing the unauthorized software, void their bowels when their systems stop working come update time, and whine like three-year-olds on the Internet when Nintendo doesn't replace their bricked 3DSes.

You know, exactly like what happened with the Wii.

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:58 AM »
I'm getting the 3DS day 1. I'm most excited about the built-in Augmented Reality games, as they seem to be an innovative and fun use of AR technology.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
ARRRRRRRRR technology?

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
No, that was the original DS.

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
That monitor is pathetically small.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Speaking of pathetic things, behold the 3DS launch title lineup. Note the dearth of interesting first-party releases.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Riiiiiidge Racer

I take it as a bit of a good thing that the games we want to see most aren't launch titles--yeah, you have to wait, but it's better than rushing them

With DLC and patches and all that crap it seems like no one but Nintendo actually finishes their games before they release them anymore

It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Furthermore, why do you care about launch titles? Why are you buying a 3DS before the first hardware revision (featuring sweeping improvements and a reduction in size) hits stores? Haven't you people learned anything from this console generation (PS3 notwithstanding)?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
To the first DS model's credit, it didn't have as many widespread problems as the Lite seemed to--broken shoulder buttons and hinges...
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
It's still pretty sad that the 3DS is the second Nintendo console ever to not even slightly have a Mario game at launch (the first being the Pokemon mini, so yeah). Even the Wii at least had some Mario games on the Virtual Console at launch (and it also had a brand-new Zelda game).

Nintendo clearly wasn't planning on putting this out before November 2011, before it leaked and shareholders got ****y about slightly lower sales figures.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »
My Lite never gave me any trouble in the years I had it.  I even dropped it on a tile floor once and the worst it got was a crack in the outer casing.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
It's a matter of tradition: A Nintendo console without a Mario launch title is like an AC/DC album devoid of any sexually-suggestive song names.

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2011, 01:29:26 AM »
Well, after seeing the launch title list, I feel much less obligated to get the 3DS as close to release as possible.  I'm still interested as to how that Paper Mario'll pan out, probably more so than I am about "Super Mario 3DS", but I guess I'll have to wait a while to find out anyway.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Is there a way to play our games while the 3DS charges?  If not, that's kind of a disappointing step backwards.  Because whenever I'm practically glued to a game on my DS, and the light turns red, I can just plug it in and continue to play.

Looking at my monetary situation, the 3DS' launch titles, and its battery life, I think I'll wait for the next model.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print