Print

Author Topic: Really terrifying things that thankfully will never happen, probably  (Read 4306 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
Ever think about things like that? Things like... gravity deciding one morning it's going to repel objects away from each other. So everything, and everyone not bolted down flies off the planet, and everyone indoors at the time has to figure out how to survive on a planet that wants everything off of it. Not that it would last. All the water would be gone.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
Wouldn't that make the atmosphere shoot off too?  Anyone inside (that didn't die or get knocked unconscious from smacking into the ceiling) would die in however long it takes to suffocate, right?  So it'd be horrible, but it'd be over for everybody in a few minutes. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
Reminds me of this.
Relics.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
I thought of this...

I dunno... I'm sure I've thought upon such terrifying scenarios (though none immediately come to mind), but that one in particular is just kind of absurd.
Go Moon!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »
No one else day-nightmares about things like this? Really?

This is why the forums are so dead. No one wants to talk about anything interesting.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:36:14 AM »
Sometimes I think about these things... mostly because my imagination is fueled by a recurring nightmare of a giant monster truck hovering ominously in the clouds.

I used to think about things like reverse gravity where everything flew "up," and figured I'd at least be somewhat safe if I was indoors... for however long I could keep that going. That's all I can think of for now, oddly enough.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
I've had thoughts about our solar system: the sun becoming big enough to engulf the Earth within my life time, planets orbit-smashing into the Earth, more Armageddon like meteors hitting the Earth, a situation like in the movie The Day After Tomorrow (except I don't think that one can happen like it did in the movie.. right?)

I get to thinking about those things and my imagination just runs with it. It scares me sometimes.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
Some future events to consider:  Earth will once again form a supercontinent.  The Earth will become too hot for liquid water.  Sol, our sun, will likely expand to a size that will engulf the entire Earth.  The Andromeda Galaxy will collide/merge with our Milky Way galaxy.  Sol will shrink  into a black dwarf leaving the Earth (if it still exists) as cold as Pluto. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
What If All The Cats In The World Suddenly Died?

A 1997 study in Great Britain found that the average house cat brought home more than 11 dead animals (including mice, birds, frogs and more) in the course of six months. That meant the 9 million cats of Britain were collectively killing close to 200 million wild specimens per year — not including all those they did not offer up to their owners. A study in New Zealand in 1979 found that, when cats were nearly eradicated from a small island, the local rat population quickly quadrupled.

And if the rodent population shot up, this would of course trigger a cascade of other ecological effects. On that same island in New Zealand, for instance, ecologists observed that, as rat numbers increased in the absence of cats, the population of seabirds whose eggs rats preyed upon declined. If the approximately 220 million domestic cats in the world all bit the dust, seabird populations would likely fall worldwide, while the populations of non-cat predators that prey on rats would be expected to increase.

If the 22 dead animals per cat per year average holds for all domestic cats worldwide, that's nearly five billion birds, rodents, and etceteras killed every year, not including ones that aren't brought home, or that the cats eat, or that the cats hide in places where we can't find them.

Could all the cats dying bring back the bubonic plague, or something similar?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
What if some internet memes suddenly became physical? That might not end well.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
Ever think about things like that? Things like... gravity deciding one morning it's going to repel objects away from each other. So everything, and everyone not bolted down flies off the planet, and everyone indoors at the time has to figure out how to survive on a planet that wants everything off of it. Not that it would last. All the water would be gone.
I CALLED THIS STORY LAST YEAR.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print