Print

Author Topic: Games you think are perfect  (Read 17795 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
I suppose I really should try OoT again for the... fourth time? and try to at least get past the second dungeon before not being compelled compels me to quit.

:\
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »
Wait, get rid of Carnival Night Zone? It has one of the best level designs I've seen, and is certainly the best of that era. Everything ties together perfectly, the music, the setpieces, the villains, plus the branching paths that crisscross the whole time, which can seem confusing but there's almost no way to actually get lost, secrets and rooms that feel cohesive. Like, there are rules for where they can go, but the guy putting the level together knew you knew the rules, shaking it up a bit. I kept it off my list because Sonic 3 was so short, and something like that were done today, release a short game then the end a year later, both for full price, people would freak right out.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
It has one of the best level designs I've seen
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
I should probably go back and play CNZ again. I haven't played it in a while, and I'm sure my memories are a bit distorted. But something definitely should be done about the oscillating drum. Maybe have a Super Metroid ostrich run in and show you.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
You can get to Zora's Domain in the very beginning of the game with just a sword :).

I was saying it was a pain/took longer than a minute no matter what you did to get there. You could warp to the Forest Temple, get out of the Sacred Meadow and go through the portal in the woods, you could warp to Kakariko graveyard, leave it and go through the hike up the river (or as old Link, ride a plant), you could warp to Lake Hylia, swim across it and go through the hole (young only)... actually, you COULD use Farore's Wind in Jabu-Jabu's belly or the Ice Cavern, would make the real quickest ways to get there.

Also nope, you need Zelda's Lullaby to get in. Unless glitches.

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
I should probably go back and play CNZ again. I haven't played it in a while, and I'm sure my memories are a bit distorted. But something definitely should be done about the oscillating drum. Maybe have a Super Metroid ostrich run in and show you.

Hah, that would be great.  Yea, that part is a bit of a pain, but right in the beginning of Act 1 is a very similar drum, connecting Sonic/Tails start point and Knuckles, and while you can get down there, it does introduce the mechanic.  It is a bit of a missed opportunity to just have so few, one which is completely devoid of use outside showing how they move.  Add a couple around that can be used to throw you in the air, and a few like the main path one where you have to bring it down and jump off for ring rooms or Special Stages or something.  I mean, they had the corkscrew things that drop you left or right depending on your rings twice, and those offer so little on the "good" side to seem like just a time waste; make my achievements feel like an actual accomplishment.  At least then, after you run into the drum that you have to ride, you can think back and be like "OHHHH, that's what I was supposed to do".
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »
It's strange. My favorite game is Team Fortress 2 but there's a lot I'd change about it.

On the other hand, my second favorite game, Metal Gear Solid 2, is completely flawless in my opinion. I wouldn't even change Raiden.

Other games I think are perfect include:

1. Banjo-Tooie
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Metal Gear Solid 3
5. God of War III
6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
8. Pokemon: HeartGold
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:11:07 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64 are pretty flawless, IMO (I wish I could say the same about SMA4, thanks failed e-Reader).  And remake as it might be, SMBDX lacks anything that I can see to criticize (besides the lack of graphical updates and the later Lost Levels, but both are forgivable due to its being a GBC game).

Superstar Saga's pretty close, but the overall lack of balance in the stats is a significant flaw, to say nothing of downright broken equipment like the Mush Badges.  Paper Mario, as well, comes close, but I feel it lacks a definitive challenge factor; that and the incredibly rigid 50-50-30 stat structure makes interesting strategies like HP-only all but impossible to pull off.  TTYD, on the other hand, nailed both of those, and the incredibly flexible badge/battle systems work seamlessly together.  Just about the only thing I'd change about it is the frequency with which enemies produce badges by any means; it's a great idea, but the one-in-several-hundred chance of getting most badges sort of kills the incentive to try to obtain them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:09:41 AM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »
Every time someone lists GoWIII instead of GoW or GoWII I cry a little.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Every time someone lists GoWIII instead of GoW or GoWII I cry a little.

I like the 3rd one better. Get over it, crybaby.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »
God of war was great Greek tragedy, a story of revenge, and one of great growth. The third is a dude killing things in HD

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Really? Are you guys really picking my list to criticize?

My opinion isn't even worth it and I wrote like two sentences.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
ShadowBrian also wrote about GoWIII.

(wait, who's the crybaby?)

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »
Didn't even see it. Sorry.

And I called him a crybaby because he was "crying." But seriously, what's the point in criticizing a list in this thread?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:59:08 PM by PaperLuigi »

Print