Print

Author Topic: What would the next big Mario game be like?  (Read 33734 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »
So... essentially what you want is another 3D Mario game...

Also:

The Map System in Super Mario World was pure genius. The Super Mario Bros. 3 map felt boring, and the New Super Mario Bros map felt robotic. They MUST revisit the map system.

+1
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »
I agree. On both accounts. Anyway, the map system also needs to have Lakitu and the mysterious Blue Jay added in-game. Those guys are cool.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
Perhaps they should add an alternate-colored game for finding all the exits... complete with different enemy sprites.  And bring back the Yoshi/Peach Coins!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
Why would NSMB have a complex map? It was based on SMB.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Perhaps they should add an alternate-colored game for finding all the exits... complete with different enemy sprites.  And bring back the Yoshi/Peach Coins!

Super Mario World: Blue Champion and Super Mario World: Red Challenger?

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
You want to talk about linear world maps?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7948/smb1mapvs5.png
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
Wow, before I looked at that link I was like.... hmmm they're all wrong, most linear is SMBDX.... and then you beat me to the punch.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2008, 01:25:03 AM »
That just reminds me how utterly pointless the world map for SMBDX was. Fun to look at though.

I liked the SMB3 maps. A lot of variety in them. Yes, the Super Mario World map felt even more grand, but SMB3 was nothing to sniff at. I still remember feeling at peace in the Water World (World 3), feeling intimidated in the Ice World (World 6), and I think the Dark World is more scary than the SMW incarnation. Anyone play World 8-1 of SMB3, look at the black background (and I think white ground), and just have an uneasy feeling that this level seems oddly peaceful considering the world... or maybe also a feeling that you were getting into the really hard levels, because 8-1 was a Ludwig to get through. Yeah, that's right, I invented a nonsense swear.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:31:16 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
The song that played on the Pipe World Map was the most annoying song I've ever heard.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2008, 06:18:02 PM »
I always thought that was the coolest song in the whole game. It sounds better on the NES than the SNES, though.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:33 PM »
I still remember feeling at peace in the Water World (World 3)

I will never feel at peace in the Water World.  I got at least 5 game overs trying to get past that stupid airship.

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
hmmm....

maybe we should think of the possibilities of a new mario game by making categories?

spin-offs-games like mario kart, strikers, golf, tennis, etc.

RPGs- 6 so far, SMRPG, the M&L series and the PM series

platformers- the original SMB series, plus SMW, SMW:YI, their remakes, and NSMB

3D main series- only 3, plus a remake: SM64, sunshine and galaxy, plus SM64DS

miscellaneous- those obscure games like hotel mario and mario is missing

oh yes, and there is also luigi's mansion and the rest of the yoshi series.

so by looking here, and ignoring the obscure miscellaneous games, we can say...there might be 4 big games coming up, but not at the same time of course.

a new spin-off always comes out quickly...

but the rest? galaxy just came out, so i don't think a new 3D main series game needs to come out yet...
the RPGs are great, all 6 of them, and i know that SMRPG is so far the only main game so far that can only e played on the SNES (and the wii of course through virtual console)
so a remake would be great, since it would bring the game's attention to a new generation of people and being a great game, it would help a lot.

also, a M&L sequel would be good too. superstar saga and partners in time are considered some of the best mario games, ye not so many people play them anymore...instead sticking to paper mario, possibly because SPM just came out recently. an upcoming seuel would help revive the series's fame.

PM doesn't need a 4th sequel so soon...so i doubt anything will come out, except maybe a remake of PM...

and the main platformers? those need to be remade once again for the DS and maybe a new one should come as well. why?
well those games are the should of the mario series. yet there seems to be more spin-offs than main series games!
remakes of the SMA series would be great for the DS. plus a remake of SMB and SMB:TLL to finish it all. imagine, SMB, SMB:TLL, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, SMW2:YI and NSMB all available for the DS as remakes! (except NSMB which is new)
it would bring all the main games to the DS and boost the mario series fame more.

so that is what i'm expecting and hoping. most of it are remakes...but a new RPG and maybe a new platformer would be nice too.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I don't think a remake of Paper Mario is likely at all, with it available on the Virtual Console. I'd love a new PM game right about now. SPM was different enough from the others that it wouldn't feel like Paper Mario on Wii had already been done. I mean, SPM was going to be a GameCube game with The thousand-Year Door, anyway.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Seeing that each and every Mario RPG is on a different system, we'll probably see a new one when a new system comes out.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
I would like another Paper Mario RPG on the Wii. No one said there had to be only one RPG on every system, and Super Paper Mario isn't a full-blown RPG anyway. Playing Paper Mario again (I'm going to play TTYD as well; in the middle of PM Chapter 7 right now) is making me itch for another new paper adventure. I wouldn't mind if they changed a few gameplay elements; particularly, I'd like if your attack power was an actual statistic instead of just being upgraded when you get new boots/hammers. I'd enjoy another good story as well; the Paper Mario series had a better story with every game, so I'm really looking forward to another SPM-level plot in Paper Mario 3.

A compilation of the classic 2D Mario platformers on the DS would be great. I don't really think doing them seperate would be a good idea, since we already had that (partially) in the SMA series and why pay 4 times (or 6 if they do SMW and YI) what you could if they were all on one card? An option to play them in unchanged original forms as well as versions with graphics and sound enhancement would be a good addition as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:09:22 PM by Reading »
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Print