Print

Author Topic: How is Sonic "Cool"?  (Read 25523 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Let's boil this down to:

Ultimate Spider-Man = FTW
Ultimate Everything Else = not FTW

There you go. Thank me.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »
I liked Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate FF (especially the scene where Reed introduces the fantasticar with a fantastichair for your fantastibutt).  Not so much the others.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »
Warning: An actual on topic comment is approaching. :P

1. At least Mario is DECENT ENOUGH to wear clothes. Some characters in the Mario Universe do not, but not EVERY SINGLE ONE refuses to wear clothes.

2. Mario is not trying to be cooler then Sonic. Sonic comes out, advertising how "Cool!" he is. If anything, Mario is cooler then Sonic.

3. Sickening cross-species romance that does not let go, at least the Mario games do not continually announce Bowser's issues the entire game.

This fails on all three accounts. First of all, you undid reason number one yourself, because as you stated, some mario characters do not wear clothes. Besides, Sonic is an animal, and animals naturally do not wear clothes. Mario wears clothes because he's a human, and humans are expected to wear clothes in public. Why is this so hard to understand? One other thing: not all sonic characters go around without clothes - look at Amy, Cream, and Eggman.

Reason number two is not Sonics fault. Sonic doesn't constantly go around saying that he's cooler than Mario; it was the Sega marketing reps. that said that in all the obnoxious commercials in the 90's. True, Sonic's generally a cocky character, but that's only been more pronounced in the modern incarnation of Sonic - which we all can agree isn't as cool as classic Sonic.

And number three isn't much of a problem when you consider that most species in the Sonic games look very similar. You're also wrong about Bowser and Peach - in Super Paper Mario, Bowser constantly tried to hit on Peach, and they even got temporarily married, for crying out loud! And don't forget that the Mario series has something that the Sonic series doesn't - gender confused characters and same-sex romance! (At least possibly in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga)

Anyway, Sonic is cool with me. His games are unique, and even the 3-D games don't try to copy Mario's adventures like certain other cartoon mascots... *coughcrashcough*
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
Dude I must say Sonic and Mario go hand in hand.  It's pretty much a unwritten law that if you like mario you gotta like sonic and vis versa.  I love the sonic games but I love the mario games more.  I'm sorry to see you don't like those games.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
They should continue to appear in games together!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
No way. Mario and Sonic was a mediocre game. It sold well but that's only because it had big names in its title.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
Judging the success of Mario and Sonic as a video game duo by using the Olympic Games spin-off is the same thing as judging Mario as a game series by only looking at one of the Mario Party games. Seriously, we should at least give Sega/Nintendo time to make a proper, non-spin-off game before judging that particular partnership.

I do disagree with MJ's point about "if you like Sonic you like Mario and vice versa"; it's astoundingly easy to hate one and love the other, as I have seen many times on the internet. This topic is proof.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »
Judging the success of Mario and Sonic as a video game duo by using the Olympic Games spin-off is the same thing as judging Mario as a game series by only looking at one of the Mario Party games. Seriously, we should at least give Sega/Nintendo time to make a proper, non-spin-off game before judging that particular partnership.

I doubt this will ever happen, although I think it'd be awesome if the two appeared in an RPG together.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
I'm not hating on Sonic or anything here but I think that the Mario world and the Sonic world are absolutely not made to merge and it would just not work at all.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »
I agree completely.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 08:21:32 AM »
My ideal Mario & Sonic crossover has them getting sucked out of their respective worlds and then flung into some warped dimensional space where they have to work together to escape. At least we wouldn't have to worry about how all their respective cast members would interact with one another.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
I have to agree with BP. Although, seeing a Chaos Super Mario would be pretty cool.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 09:57:45 AM »
If a game were to be made wherein:

Sonic can eat mushrooms to get bigger
Mario can grab rings to extend his life in addition to the size hierarchy
Robotnik and Bowser team up and the design of enemies/environments reflect this

Then it wouldn't matter how hard it sucked. It would run on fanservice alone.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Swords are pretty cool, right?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
Except Sonic doesn't need one. That's gonna end up being hated compared to Sonic Chronicles or Sonic Unleashed.

Print