Print

Author Topic: Nintendo introduces Wii MotionPlus for Wii  (Read 21239 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
Yes, you certainly did. And guess what! Wii Sports Resort has fencing!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
I was reading the PR spiel on nintendo's site. I like how re- is added to every verb. Essentially, this is a downloadable patch, but in physical form. Next, we'll have a dongle that sticks on to this dongle and makes your in-game movements even more realistic than your actual movements, and then a dongle for that that'll fix all the bugs in that dongle.

Srsly, this is stupid. Whatever happened to getting stuff right the first time?
every

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Yeah, admittedly the fencing looks somewhat neat, but the thing about Wii Sports anything is that I'd rather just have a full fledged game of that specific activity. Look at it this way. Right now, people are all looking at the sword fights and thinking "Whoa! Finally!" The first week or so, they're gonna feel great about it. But without anything to actually motivate them to continue playing it, they'll just get tired of it after a couple of weeks. (I.e. what happened to a lot of people with Wii Sports)
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »
Star Wars Wii.  Make the lightsaber slashes/stabs match the Wiimote movements for a fully customizable fighting style.  It should also measure the speed and force to determine how fast/damaging the blows are.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
penguinwizard: What your describing is called "haptics, haptic control, haptic technology," etc. When I heard rumors of the new Wii controller (before the remote was revealed) maybe possibly sporting haptic controls like temperature control for certain games, etc. I thought "WOW THATD BE COOL... oh wait Nintendo would never do that."

But anyway, yes, Golf on Sports got annoying if you didn't need full power. Putting was a chore and I figured out all you have to do is point the remote down and kinda thrust it down or bend your knees quickly and it'll register perfectly. I never got the putting to work the way it was supposed to.

The only thing I see the little dingleberry thingy working for is fixing the Internet Channel and Wii Play's shooting game. I hate barely moving and the pointer flying around; and when you slow the pointer speed down it acts sluggish so I've learned to move my remote within a barely 2 inch diameter to navigate my whole friggin' 46" TV. I want to point to exactly what I'm pointing at and the pointer be there when I want it!!

Oh and HD cables + Widescreen = No matter if you set your Wii to widescreen just OH SO LITTLE will be cut off; and with me on a plasma screen in the living room or my awesome TV in my room when using the Internet Channel the top left and especially lower right of the screen distorts a bit and goes double like the pointer is drunk. Also in the lower left is a little sliver of screen that is just totally black and extends upwards from the bottom of about the left 1/3 of the screen until it hits the left side of the screen... ugh that didn't come out right... sigh it looks like a 90º triangle:

|---------__________
|  IN 480P             ----------------_________  REST OF SCREEN
|  VOID IN BOTTOM LEFT OF SCREEN ----------------___________
|__________________________________________________________________

Another thing is when you get close to the edge of the screen the pointer will freak out or if you're at an angle greater than about 15º horizontally it'll freak out and I don't feel like zooming in constantly to click something way smaller than the pointer on the very edge of the screen because it's cut off.

***There are no smudges or objects in the way or interfering with the sensor bar and the Wiimote is fine, too, so please don't say "O H TRENMAN U PROLLY JUTS HAVE SUCK SENSRO BAR OR SUMTIN.***
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:18:15 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
A useless addon that should have been in the Wii in the first place.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
If it's useless, why should it have been in the Wii in the first place?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
If it's not useless, why split hairs about it?

Yeah, what now, son?
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »
Oh and HD cables + Widescreen = No matter if you set your Wii to widescreen just OH SO LITTLE will be cut off; and with me on a plasma screen in the living room or my awesome TV in my room when using the Internet Channel the top left and especially lower right of the screen distorts a bit and goes double like the pointer is drunk. Also in the lower left is a little sliver of screen that is just totally black and extends upwards from the bottom of about the left 1/3 of the screen until it hits the left side of the screen... ugh that didn't come out right... sigh it looks like a 90º triangle:
I don't have this problem.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »
My problem with Wii Sports mainly is that several of those sports, I actually play in reality. So when I went to play the Wii-ified version, I wasn't expecting the waggle treatment.

Wii Tennis: A real tennis swing involves you swinging from high to low to high with your arm. Doing so in Wii Tennis results in over 9000 lobs per match.
Wii Baseball: For some reason, programmers thought people would instinctively just hold their arm out and then swing it downards quickly when trying to pitch, rather than doing an actual pitching motion. Instead, when the average shlub tries this, they end up throwing a geriatric 60mph fastball right over the plate. Not to mention... zero control of fielders/runners = simple = ...fun??
Wii Golf: Basically, swing the Wii Remote about as fast as you would cradle a newborn baby in your arms or the ball's going into the rough.

Bowling was the only thing that was passable as a sport simulation (if you could really call bowling a sport) and Boxing was more or less our first taste of SWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWING to get things done in a game.

In conclusion: Wii Sports = rubbish. Where the hell's my Mario Tennis?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:59:15 AM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
If you think Wii Sports Tennis is bad now, you should have played it during E3 2006.  I tried to do backhand shots and ended up with total fail.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
Thing is, I understand Nintendo's whole point of view on the casual market. I really like it too. I love playing stuff like Crosswords DS and Wii Fit. The problem is they're falling into this trap which I think is more just a matter of laziness. They could add in basic things that normally make sense, but they don't have to, so long as they just say it's simple and easy that way.

Let's go back to Wii Baseball again for a moment. The idea of the whole Wii Sports package is that you get to play all these sports using your Wii, right? Well, when you remove an entire aspect of a sport (running/fielding) then it kind of defeats the purpose of having it at all.

Nintendo seems to be confusing the idea of a 'casual gamer' with another demographic, 'person who never plays video games'. I like to think of myself as a casual gamer sometimes, since I'd be more content playing Bomberman than Smash Bros. or something intense in that line. But just to play devil's advocate, I'll think of a casual gamer as someone who in fact, never plays video games.

So when you take this person who supposedly never plays video games, and tell them they can play this baseball video game just like a real game of baseball,  then yes, they'll probably be interesed. However, most, if not all, of these people who know what baseball is, but don't really play it or video games, are going to be wondering where the fielding went. They know it's a part of baseball, and they were expecting to play baseball on the Wii, so now they're left short. So in this case, does this idea of 'simple is better' work in the casual gamer's favor? Frankly, no. There's a difference between simple (Mario Party) and flat out non-existant (Wii Tennis).

Ok, I think that's enough ranting about Wii Sports for now... I gotta get out of this thread.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
Wii Sports was nothing more for me than a distraction before I got my first real game two days later. I never even play it now at all. (and for those who are wondering, I didn't get a real game right away because of my extremely limited budget.)

I honestly don't mind the idea of a motion sensor improvement device, since I understand how perfecting new technology takes time. If they pack it in with a cool game, I'll probably buy it eventually. :)

What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »
Here's the funniest reaction I've seen so far:

Quote from: Tetsuo9999
Man, and I used to think that buying batteries for my Dreamcast VMU just to stop it from beeping was annoying.

Now people willingly pay 20-30$ for pieces of plastic to put their remotes in.

It's only been about nine years. What the hell happened?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
Hey, one of my predictions came true, but anyone could've seen it coming.

Red Steel looked really interesting, but the reports about somewhat buggy controls kept me from playing it. I might get this one if reviews say the controls have improved.

Print