Print

Author Topic: The Hardest Mario Game  (Read 23616 times)

« on: July 18, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
What do you think is the hardest Mario game? It's probably Yoshi's Island DS, but I was bored, and wanted to start a conversation...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
SMB2J.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
I have to agree with BP... haven't gotten past World 5, at least last time I checked.

Not to mention it took me forever to get there in the first place.
I'm a horrible person.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
I still can't beat SMB1...

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
SMB2J for traditional platformer. 
YIDS once you factor in the 100% goals, if you consider it a Mario game.
Hotel Mario otherwise.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »
I think M&L:SS was hardest to beat.  Not that the game itself is hard, but it's hard to go through the same battle a dozen times and want to continue playing.  I stopped playing once I got to Morton Koopa, I think, because of lack of interest.  I should probably finish it one of these days... but then again, I don't even have a Wii or DS to move onto anyway.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
I think M&L:SS was hardest to beat.  Not that the game itself is hard, but it's hard to go through the same battle a dozen times and want to continue playing.  I stopped playing once I got to Morton Koopa, I think, because of lack of interest.  I should probably finish it one of these days... but then again, I don't even have a Wii or DS to move onto anyway.

I highly recommend finishing it. Morton Koopa is right at the end anyway.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Having trouble at one of the final bosses is why I stopped playing Metroid Prime 1. Amazing game up to that point. I admire a challenge, but not something so incredibly difficult that I can't see the ending. I barely got through Omega Pirate and Ridley (gosh I love that dragon, never fails to put up a heck of a fight, I'd rather have him be the final boss of Metroid games). I'd always have a tiny bit of one energy tank remaining, that's how close it always was. I think I'm starting to understand the new trend of final bosses being cakewalks: The player has gone through heck, they just want to see the ending now, wasn't beating the game's equivalent of Ridley enough?

Hardest Mario game? SMB2 (not sure why you're all saying the Japanese version, unless you're using that to distinguish from the Lost Levels). SMB2 (the Mario-ized Doki Doki Panic) is unconventional and difficult. Maybe that's part of why it's hard, we may call ourselves Mario masters but we're not Doki Doki Panic masters. I forget how far I got normally, but all I remember was getting past Triclyde (W2 boss) and not getting much further. Only with a lot of save states in an emulator did I finally get near the end.
While SMB2 Lost Levels is hard too, I managed to get to... well, I don't remember how far I got without warps, but I got to world 7. SMBDX is the only version of SMB1 that I've been able to beat, so I'm not sure whether I can say yet that I've finally beat SMB1 after many years, but... that just means I can't say SMB1 is the toughest game.

SMB3 I eventually got through, so that's out of the race too. SMW is a cakewalk in comparison to the other games.

Yoshi's Island... kind of easy, but getting 100% in all levels, good luck. I got 100% for all normal levels except 6-6 with Bowser Jr. (99 I think... I cannot beat Bowser without getting hit once) and whatever the ski level in World 5 was (5-3 I think), getting only a 98 or 99 there, and I only got 100 on World 4 Extra (The Impossible Maze). All the other extra levels I got somewhere in the 80s or 90s. So this means I've never seen the World 5 or World 6 Extra levels.

None of the Wario Land games qualify for hardest because I've cleared them all out, with a little help from my friend (GameFAQs). It's kind of disheartening to complete a Wario Land game 100% and then think "...alright. So, what, there's nothing left for me to do now?" I mean, Wario Land levels are very enjoyable for having every block put with purpose to precisely control where you can and can't go, but you'll go through each one about 5 or 10 times before you complete the game 100%, and by then you're dead tired of them.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
SMB2 or SMB3.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 05:05:57 AM »
Seems weird you could beat the Omega Pirate but not the Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite bosses in videogaming. I just feel really cool fighting it. Most Metroid games are good at that.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
The first Super Mario Bros in the original Coin-Op. It's very difficult playing it in the Coinop: I hardly defeat the first false Bowser! XD
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
Hardest Mario game? SMB2 (not sure why you're all saying the Japanese version, unless you're using that to distinguish from the Lost Levels). SMB2 (the Mario-ized Doki Doki Panic) is unconventional and difficult. Maybe that's part of why it's hard, we may call ourselves Mario masters but we're not Doki Doki Panic masters. I forget how far I got normally, but all I remember was getting past Triclyde (W2 boss) and not getting much further. Only with a lot of save states in an emulator did I finally get near the end.
I have to disagree. Our SMB2 is a piece of cake, but the Japanese SMB2 is pretty hard.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

YIDS once you factor in the 100% goals, if you consider it a Mario game.

Oh wow, this. Seriously, I have a 100% file on YI and SMA3, but can't 100% most of the levels in YIDS for some really weird reason.
~I.S.~

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
The first Super Mario Bros in the original Coin-Op. It's very difficult playing it in the Coinop: I hardly defeat the first false Bowser! XD

I hated how they changed the castle maze solutions for that one.  I'm on a time limit; I don't need to be wasting lives and thus coins by tediously trying every platform combination!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »
Seems weird you could beat the Omega Pirate but not the Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite bosses in videogaming. I just feel really cool fighting it. Most Metroid games are good at that.

I hate the MP.. that is one of the reasons I have yet to finish the game. It's hard to fight him. He moves entirley too quickly in relation to Samus' turn rate. By the time I get turned in the right direction to shoot him, over half of my energy is gone because I'm standing on his toe (or some other such thing).

Come to think of it, I really just lost interest in that game before getting to the final boss. I don't like this first person Metroid business. I hope there's one that's either a side-scroller or a 3rd person game.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print