Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 41877 times)

« on: October 19, 2016, 06:57:50 PM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:39:48 AM by bobbysq1337 »

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »
10:00 AM Eastern
10:00 AM EASTERN
WHAT'S SCHOOL
WHAT'S ADVERTISING TO YOUR MAIN DEMOGRAPHIC
i swear the NX better have the PS4 version of FFVII or I quit forever
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
Exactly when I start work. Of course.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:14:05 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI</a>

Can a mod rename this thread to "Nintendo Switch" since we have a name now?

Also, the screen controller thing looks a lot like the Wii U, but better executed. Hoping for a 720p screen at the very least.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »
At long last! Loving the detachable controllers and overall design -- less clunky than the WiiU gamepad, from what I can tell. And is that a new non-3D World 3D Mario I see? In any case, here's hoping the launch library beyond BotW can do that setup justice.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:41:14 AM »
They also appeared to show a new Mario Kart, with Double Dash item slots. The inclusion of Skyrim and NBA 2K also made me confident in the 3rd party lineup.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:25:08 PM by bobbysq1337 »

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »
"and see if you crouch right at this spot it looks like the coin is going up mario's butt"

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
Much like the Wii Motion Plus made the Wii Remote able to do what most people thought it was always supposed to do, the Switch is what people think the Wii U is once they stop thinking it's a Wii peripheral.

I feel like this image conveys what the Switch is really well -- you can play this big full console game on your TV, and also turn it into a tablet and play it anywhere. Maybe people will get confused and think they snap onto a tablet you already have?

It's really good that it's not a Wii or a DS. Those sold really well last decade, but their naming schemes have gotten way too convoluted for the average consumer (New Nintendo 3DS XL in New Galaxy Purple, or the New Nintendo 3DS (they never came up with a name for the smaller one) or the 2DS which is mostly the same thing, but the Wii U is a completely different thing than the Wii but it uses Wii controllers (I'm betting the Switch will still have Wiimote compatibility because why not if they've got Bluetooth anyway, but they're not going to advertise it)). Also, having a one-syllable console name (and one that's a common word) means you're going to hear "Nintendo Switch" more than you hear "Sony Playstation 4 Pro Slim" or "Microsoft Xbox One S" or "Nintendo Gamecube." With other consoles, using the full formal name makes you sound like a PR guy, but "Nintendo Switch" feels pretty natural to say. That's good for brand recognition.

Also I love that they're called "joy-cons."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
I'm on my phone and I probably should have previewed my post to check how big that picture was, but eh, this thread could use a super hi-res picture.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
honestly i may dislike skyrim but at least it might mean that we get 3rd-party games that I'm actually interested in (AKA RPGs)
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Telltale Games WOO... and the other stuff too. Really curious to get more information over the next few months.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »
CE7, I want you to imagine my emoji (facial expression) after spending minutes carefully sizing my three posted images and then coming back to your post.

People, Skyrim doesn't mean jack. The Wii U also had ports of ancient third-party games for the first six months! What DOES mean jack is the first year or two of sales. Not publisher deals made a year in advance of release.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
I can imagine parents seeing this as a far better deal than any regular combo of console + handheld, that's for sure.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »
here's the problem, too much hype!
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 04:22:46 AM »
Yes, good, the smart ideas becoming the smart reality. Something simple with a lot of practical functions. No divide in the handheld/console player base. Nintendo won't have to worry about which side to make a game for, or waste budget to put a same or similar game on both. This should be good, this should naturally lead to good things...

Too bad for the dog in the reveal video, dude ignored poor dog to play Zelda. Love your doggo more, Zelda-playing guy

Looking forward to Pokémon gen 8
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »
Too bad for the dog in the reveal video, dude ignored poor dog to play Zelda. Love your doggo more, Zelda-playing guy

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:56 AM »
They just announced the next Nintendo Switch Presentation is January 12

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »
They just announced the next Nintendo Switch Presentation is January 12

Followed by another presentation two days after I think.

Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, what's next? Super Mario 4D Galaxy?
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
So, as the 12th approaches, and rumors continue to force their way onto the scene, I have something to ask you guys (which I feel warrants bumping this topic).
What are your expectations for the event?
For me, it's just a basic reel of third party games, the reveal of pricing, BotW release for NA, JP, and EU, and (most importantly imo) specs.
Now, for me, I don't want an uberpowerful system. I don't want something on the level of a mid to high-end PC, and I think most people agree with me. I just want the Switch to use Pascal architecture, so it can be powerful enough to draw serious 3rd-party support.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:02 AM »
I'm curious what the naming convention is going to be for the enhanced ports like MK8 and Splatoon:

Mario Kart 8 (i.e., no change)
Super Mario Kart 8
New Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 8+
Mario Kart 9
Mario Kart 8 for Switch
Mario Kart 8 DX
Mario Kart 8: New Play Control!
Mario Kart 8: Definitive Edition
Poochy & Mario Kart 8

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
My inital thoughts while watching this:
* Paid online :/
* The Joy-Con has seriously cool sensor and haptic feedback features
* shoutouts to competitve warioware
* Hopefully, there's more to these games than what we've seen in the trailer
* SPLATOON 2 BABY. Roombas, laser rifles, and movement options. (also, single player map elements in multiplayer maps)
* hopefully there's more singleplayer this time because of the... you know...
* IS THIS AN OPEN WORLD MARIO GAME
* IT'S AN OPEN WORLD MARIO GAME
* also, doesn't a black hole open if bowser and peach get married
* shoutouts to not needing the boomerang suit anymore
* Fire Emblem warriors seems like a good idea, also sorry I haven't played Xenoblade
* Unreal Engine confirmed.
* PROMISES MAN IS HERE
* the suda51 guy yelled so hard his mic dropped lol
* translator is still getting his bearings
* EA is going to put FIFA on Switch. And Bill is translating into Japanese for the announcer.
* They keep showing MK8 but not talking about it (Edit: they dropped a trailer for it here)
* ZELDA'S A LAUNCH TITLE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:15:59 PM by bobbysq1337 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:19 AM »
Best: You can charge the thing with a more commonplace USB cable

Worst: This launch... oh... no... there has to be more queued up for this launch. There just... it needs a good launch, desperately
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 01:43:06 AM »
I wonder if they made 1-2-Switch not a pack-in so they can say they have two games at launch instead of just one

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bAayBtcb0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bAayBtcb0</a>

CrossEyed7

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
It kinda seems like they're counting on Christmas being the Switch's second launch. That launch is gonna have a pretty good lineup.

also bowser is best daddy

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Wait a minute.

Capacitive touchscreen?

Region free?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
To be honest one of the best things I saw at the presentation was Octopath Traveler. It looks amazing, and anything that has classic JRPG gameplay is an instant buy for me (as long as I have money, of course).
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
My current hype list:

-Mario Odyssey
-Zelda: BotW
-Octopath Traveler (I hate typing that)
-Dragon Quest X (Though I'll likely pass on it due to paid internet)
-Dragon Quest XI
-Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
-Dragon Quest Half-Eaten Baby Carrot We Found on the Ground

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
Same with me, plus I Am Setsuna, Disgaea 5, Ultra Street Fighter II, and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:35 AM »
You could be playing three of those games right now.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Well yeah I could in theory
But I don't plan on getting a PS4 until the holidays and my PC is a craptop from 2012.
And also this is portable.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

CrossEyed7

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
PS4 is portable too if you work out

anyway my hype list is Puyo Puyo Tetris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:39:25 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
Hey, did anyone think that the TV button should be on the switch? It was really helpful to me, personally.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 11:35:31 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a good point.

RIP TV button

CrossEyed7

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
I think I'll be playing mostly in handheld mode, but if I play on the living room TV, I'm gonna be using the Wii U as the remote because my dad will probably have dropped the TV remote behind the sofa again.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:26 AM »
I'll probably use it a lot, everywhere, kinda like the demonstrations... but I think, mostly different games depending on where. I've never played Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask on my 3DS away from home... I think I just wouldn't play BotW in handheld mode. I hope they don't neglect to provide a lot of options for time-wasters that don't take a lot of investment. GB Virtual Console is already pretty good for that but I'm gonna need a new WarioWare I think
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4Ej1SZq5s" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4Ej1SZq5s</a>

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:40 AM »
Hey I found a glitch in Splatoon 2 already!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDriekEmiBc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDriekEmiBc</a>

At 15:23 the ink on the side of the ramp goes to the wall.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
Three more launch titles.  There not new, and are download only, but are great games IMHO: 

http://tomorrowcorporation.com/posts/were-opening-the-tomorrow-corporation-vaults

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
Quote from: Luigison;229226075
The USB-C charger either plugs into the dock or directly to the console like this: 

But the back of the console has a grove that I assume helps guide the system on the dock and could also be used to accommodate a USB-C charger that went back behind the system when you wanted to use it with the flip out kickstand and charge it, but I have not seen any such charger or cable?  Anyone?  Thoughts?   

I'm thinking of something more like this, but much less bulky: 

That would fit into 4 below: 

CrossEyed7

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 07:46:40 PM »
Hope your screen doesn't have any dead pixels.

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:17 AM »
I haven't had to deal with dead pixels on any recent console, but my GameBoy Advance SP has a weird spot effect on the screen in several places that looks like some kind of backlight defect.

Edit: wait, that might be dead pixels? Lol, I'm dumb.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:46:09 AM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Relics.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Any Joy-con connectivity issues?  If so, https://youtu.be/ZnMnke6lF0c

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a good point.

RIP TV button

The Switch has something even better. It just plain turns the TV on when you turn it on/wake it up/dock it while it's running. My TV's set up to turn itself off after a while of inactivity, so when it comes to the Switch I don't have to manually turn the TV off or on at all.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
The Switch has something even better. It just plain turns the TV on when you turn it on/wake it up/dock it while it's running. My TV's set up to turn itself off after a while of inactivity, so when it comes to the Switch I don't have to manually turn the TV off or on at all.

Still, mine needs to be turned off/on manually. It would have been nice to add. For someone like me, it would really be helpful.

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
Is it bad that I don't have one yet?

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Join the club. Maybe all the issues will be ironed out by the time we get ours.

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
A good buddy of mine got a Switch. Actually, it was his wife who got it for him...she stopped by a Wal Mart that had a few, waited in line, got the fourth one out of five, and said she'd keep it for a special day. Wellll....he had a really bad day at work that day so he got it that same night.

He had me over the next day to get my take on it.

I was blown away by the controls. Nintendo's controllers have usually felt natural, but sometimes they feel better than others in terms of how they're laid out. (I can't stand playing MarioKart on anything but a classic type controller, for example). This felt *perfect*.

All of the playing modes just worked. Of course, the Wii U is the same way...but this finally makes it a true portable.

The Zelda game was good too. I'm usually not a huge Zelda guy, but the launch title was truly epic. For the first time, I found myself immersed in a Zelda game.

My only complaint is that the little kickstand on the back of the Switch is sort of flimsy. It felt like something from HP as of late.

We talked a bit about the console as we played the game. He has since used it as a true portable (he likes to take a real game system with him when he's got a long wait somewhere rather than game on his phone). Reviews were positive. He does believe the designated portable line will eventually be phased out now that portables and consoles are equal here. However, there will still be a low-end line: phone apps. We see the Wii U sticking around for a year or so, sort of like the other systems did as low-end alternatives (back to the NES).

Both of us are veterans of Nintendo platforms, and let's just say our combined age is over AARP eligibility. My buddy believes Nintendo is actually targeting this system, at the time being, to an older generation--namely, the people in their later 20s and 30s. His theory also goes around the fact that we miss the simplicity of certain things--hence why we know so many guys in that age group that love to play Mario Kart (we have friends, husband and wife, who play Mario Kart when they get home from work...and they're in their mid-30s).

I do wonder about durability as a portable for this system, but I guess if kids are hauling around iPhones at age 4, they did their research.

I'm not sure if I'll get one personally, at least not yet. It's a great system, but I just don't have as much time as I used to for games. (I know, I have no excuse since all my married friends play more often than me...but none of them are business owners). Still, my business usually gets a little lighter in the summer...

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
Join the club. Maybe all the issues will be ironed out by the time we get ours.

Yeah

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 03:24:08 AM »
Thoughts on the Nintendo Labo?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
I've already pre-ordered the variety kit.  My daughter loves making things out of cardboard already so I think this will be perfect for her.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:21:48 PM by Luigison »

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Better than being stuck on a screen. It's something different. Use it in other games as a novelty.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »
I might have to get that piano tbh

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
Comes in a 5-pack

Print