Print

Author Topic: Its my B-day. . .and a MK:SC Review!  (Read 3053 times)

« on: August 29, 2001, 10:40:22 AM »
I'd like to start this topic by stating that it is my B-day today (Aug. 29)! Get out the music and lets party!
*10 secs. later*
Ok, enough partying. . .now, because I have gotten a chance to thoroughly play Mario Kart : Super Circuit, and I don't want this message to be spam, I will now give you a review on my opinion on the Mario-related racing game, so enjoy!

Gaming Value 10/10: Ah, this is probably MK:SC's greatest point - gaming value! Contrary to what it states on the box, there are actually 40 courses (with many obstacles) in this amazing game instead of 20, 24 courses being secret courses in which you have to earn (I have gotten all of the courses on 50cc already, but it took a ton of work). And with 3 (4?) levels of difficulty (50cc, 100cc, 150cc), you'll be racing for quite a while trying to complete this game. Also, don't forget that there is a Time Trial (with racing ghosts) mode to get the best times for the racetracks, and a Quick Run mode to practice the tracks you have gotten (trust me, you'll need it). With that in mind, you can play MK:SC for hours and hours. They chose the same 8 characters from MK64, and they have almost the same items (except less) from MK64, but still they did a great job with the items and characters. I haven't had a chance to play Multiplayer yet, but I could imagine that MK:SC's multiplayer modes are fantastic (especially Battle mode), so you'll be playing this game for quite a while ;) !

Graphics 10/10: Beautiful graphics! They got the 3D models of the racing characters perfectly (I think that they're even better than the models used in MK64 because they're much smoother and crisper.) Most of the game is in 3D, thus the graphics are quite amazing for a portable system, and the graphics of the racetracks (which are 3D) are absoulutely flawless. My only gripe is that the backgrounds are 2D, but they're done so professionally for a portable system, and having the whole game in 3D  would be impossible for the GBA at this time. Great job!

Music and voices 5/10: The music is somewhat repetitive and mediocre in this game, but its ok for a racing game (especially since its on the GBA - a portable system), and it is quite enjoyable. I especially like that they put some nostalgia music for some of the secret courses from previous Mario games. As for the voices - AAAAAAH! Luigi sounds like a soprano, Toad's voice could break glass, and Wario sounds like the fat Mandark from Egotrip (if you're a fan of Dexter's Lab), which is just weird. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and DK's voices sound almost identical to their voices from MK64, and they gave Yoshi his voice from Super Smash Bros. In short, they could have done better with the voices, but then again, I couldn't expect great voices for the GBA anyway, so given the circumstances, great job.

Gameplay 8/10: I knew that playing Mario Kart for GBA would be quite difficult, and I was right, though they did a very good job anyway. Most of the functions from MK64 are in play here, except you can't change the map view to border view or to speedometer (though you can use the speedometer in Time Trial mode), you can't do the sliding boost anymore (though you can slide), but they gave each of the characters a horn for their kart which is quite humorous. Playing Mario Kart on a GBA will take some time getting used to, but overall gameplay on the GBA is superior to that of many other racing games and superior to what I thought it would be, so very good job in that aspect.

Replay value 6/10: I can't really rate this because I haven't beaten the whole game yet, but I could imagine once you beat everything this game has to offer, it'll probably get boring. Luckily the challenge of improving your cup ratings (you're given a rating of your driving ability once you finish a cup), improving your time trial scores, and the constant fun of multiplayer bring this score up, thus its replay value is also quite good.

Overall (not an average of previous scores) 9/10: I believe Nintendo has really outdone itself again with this amazing racer. All Mario Kart fans will definitely enjoy this new addition to the Mario Kart universe. Almost all aspects of this game are perfect or almost perfect, so if you have some money to spare and want a good racing game, I'd recommend getting this game. In short, Mario Kart: Super Circuit is definitely a game worth buying for any Mario fan, and kudos to Nintendo for making such a great game.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little review of MK:SC, and Happy Birthday to me!

This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .
This message was written by davidcoolestguy, master of anime and video games (actually he''s just a guy who''s got too much free time)

Founder of the Mario Game idea: Super Mario Bros 4: Sibling Rivalry. If you wish to see this game idea, e-mail me at david_coolest_guy@yahoo.com, and I''ll see if I can get it to you. I''m also planning on updating it, and possibly converting it into an RPG. . .

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2001, 11:15:18 AM »
I kind of liked fat Mandark's voice.

It's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, it's a matter of common sense! (half empty or half full?)

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2001, 11:21:04 AM »
Happy birthday. Maybe i'll buy MKSC someday...and good review.

mwahahaha(cough!)haha!

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2001, 08:33:12 PM »
I disagree with alot that you said.
The voices in the game are fine!  So Luigi's is a little high, whoopdy do.
nd the music is classic Mario music.  Good rythum.
Also, The replay value in this game will last forever!  Just trying to beat the game is hard enough.  But with all the aspects of multi-player and forever trying to get better tiem trials, this is a sweet game!

The only thing it lacked, and i mean ONLY, is Koopa Troopa.
--
"True Dat!"
Mæriô from da Ghetto©

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2001, 09:02:37 PM »
i think they should replace bowser with one of the koopa kids or waluigi. bowser is too big to fit on a gokart and his shrunken version is just stupid

It's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, it's a matter of common sense! (half empty or half full?)

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2001, 09:12:33 PM »
frostbite: I love fat Mandark's voice, but it just doesn't suit Wario, and Wario's MK64 voice was just perfect for him. As for Bowser, he shouldn't have gotten as big as he was from SM64 (I don't know how or why he grew that big). The Bowser from all of the previous games could fit in a kart, but not Bowser from SM64. Anyway, they should keep Bowser because he's a main Mario character, and I prefer him to any of the Koopa Kids or Waluigi, imo, but I do believe that Bowser shouldn't have gotten so big in SM64 in the first place. Thanks for your response!

King Bowser Koopa900: Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it ;)!

GhettoMario: I agree with you that the voices, music, and replay value are ok, but I do have to be somewhat critical in  a review, and lets face it, those things aren't the best. The voices are not the best and you know it, even if it is for the GBA. The music is just your average Mario racing music, and that's why I used the word mediochre. I even mentioned that the music was pretty good for a racing game, and that the music is enjoyable. As for replay value, once you beat the game (as with most racing games), the tracks do get boring, especially after beating it in 3 different difficulties, and like I said improving your ratings, time trials, and multiplayer help the retail value, but once you beat this game, it'll probably get boring. Thanks for the constructive criticism and for responding to my review.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2001, 12:57:21 PM »
I'm bringing this topic to the top so others can have a chance to read it. . .

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2001, 05:22:59 PM »
That's a pretty good review; and if - nay - when they release Mario Kart on the GC, it sounds like it will be far superior to that (How could it not be?).

Incdentally: Happy Belated Birthday!

~Just another pisanno.
 ~Just another pisanno.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2001, 11:32:04 PM »
My thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the B-day greeting (late is better than never, lol)! I hope to do more reviews of games when they come out as a service for the great message board we have here, so expect another review soon!

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2001, 03:50:21 PM »
Happy B-day!And about mk sc,i got it about 2 or 3 days ago,i got it on sale,and,even better,two free 2 liters of pepsi,what a deal!I just got all the secret retro courses,it sooo cool!Now if only there were some mario kart 64 tracks.

One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2001, 06:53:52 PM »
Hey, KT, I also got that deal!  Target, right?  Cool.

I am loving this game.  It's also nice to know I still rule at the SNES tracks even being a little out of practice.

--

I''ve decided to add a signature.  Now...what should I type?  Hmm...
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2001, 05:04:01 PM »
What you said,RoyKoopa.Yep,it was target.And I too,am good surprisingly at the snes tracks.I wish they would have re styled Toad's Turnpike from mario kart 64,'cause it would've been sweet!

One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2001, 10:05:39 PM »
H.B.
;)!
With enough soap, you can blow nearly everything up.

Print