Print

Author Topic: The Pointless Topic!  (Read 2476570 times)

« Reply #12375 on: January 12, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
At least it has that cool little "sunken city" portion.

But it's also a great level on its own, to me at least, as is every level in Super Mario 64. I started replaying it like a week ago and I really, really love it so, so much. Even more than when I first played it when I was 6, since now I can begin to semi-comprehend how mind-blowing it was in 1996.

I also feel like there's lots of unnecessarily unnerving things in Super Mario 64. Mario's drowning animation, for one...and the animation for him choking in toxic gas, while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:42:24 PM by TheMightyThor »
Relics.

« Reply #12376 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
What about the title screen with his disembodied head? Or worse, the Game over screen with it and an eerie red light.

« Reply #12377 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
Let's not forget the Castle's emptiness.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #12378 on: January 12, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »

The beta castle looks interesting.
Relics.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12379 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Super Mario 64 gave me more nightmares as a child than any other game I've ever played. It's a legitimately frightening game.

« Reply #12380 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
Relics.

« Reply #12381 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
I always hated going into the courtyard with the Boos as it felt like they, Mario, and MIPS were the only sentient characters not trapped in walls. You couldn't run to any friendly NPCs for help.

« Reply #12382 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
I discovered Big Boo's Haunt completely by accident while a kid from the neighborhood was over. The atmosphere and music already spooked me, but that room with the piano, man...
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #12383 on: January 14, 2014, 01:19:39 AM »
I remember getting the crap scared out of me by the eel in Jolly Roger Bay when I was eight years old or so. Looking back on it, I think I was more terrified of what it might do than what it actually did. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what it might do if I got close to it, and I certainly wasn't going to try and find out. So I played past it, never getting that star for a rather long time. Being unwilling to find out just how scary it was made it even harder to stop being scared of it.

Now that I think about it, I did that for a lot of games when I was younger. The worm that hid in wells from Croc comes to mind. (Did anyone play that game but me? None of my friends know about it.) I think Banjo-Tooie was the game that finally got me to be less nervous. It was just so absurd that anything that might have been scary was just funny instead. I played that when I was 11 years old, and didn't play Banjo-Kazooie until a year after that. Now that I think about it, Kazooie was way less self-aware than Tooie, and a bit creepier, so if I'd played that one first, i likely wouldn't have had such a good impression of the series as a whole.

Interesting thoughts, I think.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #12384 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
I was always scared that Gruntilda would kidnap me every time I quit or got a game over in Banjo-Kazooie. (Although I certainly wouldn't mind if she kidnapped me after gaining hotness in the game over/quit animation, of course)

I was also scared that Kamek's little henchmen would kidnap me when I got a game over in Yoshi's Story. (Don't make fun of me for actually dying in Yoshi's frigging Story, I was like 6!) In both of those games, I'd turn off the N64 immediately if I got a game over so I wouldn't be scared.
Relics.

« Reply #12385 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
(Although I certainly wouldn't mind if she kidnapped me after gaining hotness in the game over/quit animation, of course)

Let's be real, only straight girls and gay boys were able to complete Banjo-Kazooie.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12386 on: January 14, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »
Prepubescence alone must have seen me through to the final levels on that one.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12387 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
After a surprising burst of activity, Fungi Forums has returned to a comatose state.

What happened? And if we were to get new blood, could we ensure they'd be up to the standards set by forum-goers like CrossEyed and Weegee?
Relics.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12388 on: January 18, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
I'm sure we could get plenty of forumgoers down to Weegee's standards.

« Reply #12389 on: January 18, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
Should I recommend some friends from 9gag and the memegenerator.com forums?

Print